PDA

View Full Version : Oct 2006 Leatherneck, SSD

DaveDalPezzo
10-17-06, 09:14 PM
Two Marines inspired and molded me more than anyone else in my 7 years of active duty - MGySgt Billy G Hammack and SSGT Carl Nielsen, both at Parris Island during my PISC tour from 01/1980-12/1983.

I don't really know how to say this, but both "Top" Hammack and SSgt Nielsen saw something in me and somehow took me under their wings and instilled something that lives within me to this day, although I find it hard to describe (even after several Genesee Cream Ales this evening).

Out of the blue a short while ago, Top Hammack emailed me. I have been searching for him for quite some time and to receive an email from him was quite the surprise. My kids probably thought I won the lottery, the way I was acting. I've also been searching for Carl, but he was quite elusive (probably still displaying his talents from of his many years in Force Recon in 'Nam)....

When I received the Oct issue of Leatherneck and started paging thru it, I spotted Carl right away on page 26 and had to read the caption to make sure my eyes weren't playing tricks on me. Sure enough, it was he. I can't even begin to describe what I felt running through my body. Overjoyed doesn't even come close. I can't make it out if he's holding an unbrella or a cane, but whatever it is, I'm sure it'll still pack a whoppop when it hits!

Those of you who had mentors, or people you really held in high esteem know the feeling I'm talking about when you finally locate someone after 20 or more years.

I am heading to Florida in March to a conference and have every intention on stopping in Albany to see Top (no matter how long I've been out, he was always "Top" then and he still is). It would make my trip to be able to swing by Carl's, no matter where he is. Hell, I'd even make special trips for either of them!

I'm always trying to instill the pride, discipline, and attention to detail into my own "troops" (ages 14, 11 and 10) that these two fine examples of Marine provided to me. I'd love nothing more than to be able to introduce both of these men to my children.

Carl, if you see this, please give me a call or email, any time day or night. 717-235-7143 or dkdalpezzo@yahoo.com.

Damn, it was great to see you standing there looking as damned ugly as ever!