PDA

View Full Version : VN Cross of Gallantry

firstsgtmike
01-19-03, 10:12 AM
Vietnam Cross of Gallantry Update: The previous Bulletin article on the Vietnam Cross of Gallantry with Palm award was incomplete. Readers should review the following before taking any action: The...

Sparrowhawk
01-19-03, 10:33 AM
The Vietnam Cross of Gallantry individual award is far different than the unit award if I remember correctly.

This maybe the one I remember was awarded by a village chief.

The individual award was given to who ever wanted one by a local Vietnamese village chief. You could give him a box of C-rats and he would give you one.

Some corpsmen received one each time they conducted med call in a village. Don't know how many of them were actually reported or entered into a service record. Sometimes a chief would want a ceremony to go along with it, at other times he just gave them out to his friends.

I never knew what military awards i had earned untill years after I left the corps.

STRGZR47
01-23-03, 12:58 AM
THANKS FOR CLEARING THAT UP FOR ME.
I HAD NO IDEA THAT THERE WAS SO MUCH INVOLVRD TO GET THE AWARD. BUT KNOW I AT LEAST KNOW WHAT TO DO. I WAS WITH 1ST AND 5TH MARINE DIVISIONS SHORE PARTY ENGINEERS.STATIONED AT DANANG AND CHU LAI 1965/66.

JRtheSTAR
01-23-03, 04:14 AM
I agree with you, also there seems to be some things lacking in the above post, no mention of it being awarded with gold star. It doesn't make it clear as to a unit award being a ribbon in a gold frame. I don't think one would rate the medal if it is a unit award.

benny rutledge
02-19-03, 02:20 PM
now i'm confused..... MAG 12 recieved PUC and the VN Cross of Gallantry after I rotated out March 70.The VN Cross of Gallantry had a silver frame with some kind of device in center???I looked in Ribbon checker and didn't see it.Still new to replying to posts and tapping away at library computer what the heck is a thread???a URL???

thedrifter
02-19-03, 02:40 PM
Welcome Aboard . Also welcome to your home away from home................
We have a great crew of Marines in here from WW II to the present............
Throw your sea bag in a corner, pull up a footlocker, sit and chat awhile.........Get a chance stop over at the Slope Chute, Gary and I will buy you a few drinks........But watch out for Chesty.......likes his beer, only dog I found could open a beer can........LOL

"AGAIN WELCOME ABOARD."

Now to answer your questions.....

A thread is what you are writing on......

URL....is a website.......

Sempers,

Roger