PDA

View Full Version : Tyson thinking of fighting women?

thedrifter
10-17-06, 07:43 AM
Tyson thinking of fighting women?
/ Associated Press

STRONGSVILLE, Ohio (AP) - Mike Tyson said fans should not expect much of a fight when he steps back into the ring.

But the 40-year-old former heavyweight boxing champ promised an entertaining show Friday night when he launches the "Mike Tyson's World Tour" in Youngstown.

At a news conference at an Italian restaurant, Tyson said he would likely go just four rounds and that future stops on the tour might include bouts with women, possibly professional boxer Ann Wolfe.

Wolfe, from Waco, Texas, is 21-1 with 15 knockouts.

"She's such a prominent, dominant woman in the boxing field," Tyson said.

When asked if he was joking about fighting women, Tyson said, "I'm very serious."

Russ Young, a promoter for Wolfe, said such a bout will never happen.

"That's the first we've heard of it," Young said. "No state would sanction that. She would be outweighed by 60 to 70 pounds (27-32 kilos). Ann would never entertain the idea."

Tyson said the tour was meant to be fun and raise money for charity.

"It's all fun. I'm not Mike Tyson," he said, referring to the fierce boxer whose career was upended by a prison term. "I'm not 20 years old. I'm not going to smash anybody. I'm not going to talk about smashing anybody's brains. You're not going to see that guy no more."

At the press conference, Tyson posed for photos with fans, signed autographs and campaigned for Maryland U.S. Senate candidate Michael Steele.

Tyson, wearing a white and blue Steele for U.S. Senate T-shirt, said he used to believe black Republicans were "sellouts." But Tyson said he changed his mind after researching the Maryland lieutenant governor.

"We have to open our eyes more," Tyson said, as he pointed to his T-shirt.

His recent years have been marked by embarrassing fights - inside and out of the ring - and staggering debt. Tyson last fought in June 2005, losing to the unheralded Kevin McBride.

He will return to the ring Friday at the 6,000-seat Chevrolet Centre in Youngstown for a pay-per-view television event against former sparring partner Corey "T-Rex" Sanders.

Tyson had said he was finished with boxing after his bout with McBride, which he quit after six rounds.

The man who vowed to eat Lennox Lewis' children and bit off a piece of Evander Holyfield's ear has said he's in no mood for a comeback.

He recently trained in a makeshift ring at a Las Vegas hotel.

Tyson shot to fame by knocking out Trevor Berbick in 1986 to become the youngest heavyweight champion in history at age 20. He was knocked out by James "Buster" Douglas in 1990 and lost his world heavyweight title. He later served prison time for rape, returned to fighting and infamously bit Holyfield's ear in a 1997 fight.

Hasn't he been doing that for years ;)

Ellie

Echo5November
10-23-06, 06:12 PM
I'm not suprised. He tried to bribe a zoo keeper at the Brooklyn Zoo to let him in the gorilla cage and let him fight a silverback gorilla. This should explain his mentality.

Marine84
10-23-06, 06:51 PM
I think Layla Ali could take him

Echo5November
10-24-06, 07:12 PM
let him fight in the UFC, see how tough he really is

FistFu68
10-24-06, 07:56 PM
:evilgrin: Id put my $$$$$ on the silverback,at the Zoo.:beer:

Osotogary
10-25-06, 07:31 AM
Mike Tyson fighting women? I wonder what body part he will bite off?

OLE SARG
10-25-06, 08:40 AM
I don't care who you are, that's funny Gary!!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

ROHO
10-25-06, 08:59 AM
I just heard on the radio that Mike is planning a fiight with (get this) Tom Jones. I heard it on WWLS the sports animal AM 1240 out of Oklahoma City.