PDA

View Full Version : Medal Replacement-

firstsgtmike
01-19-03, 10:08 AM
Any individual who wants to have their awards and decorations reviewed and a replacement (one-time) set issued can write to: NPRC, 9700 Page Avenue, St Louis, MO 63132-5000. Upon receipt NPRC will access the appropriate records, attach the request, and send the case to AFPC to work. Include name, Service Number, SSAN, inclusive dates in the service, DD Forms 214 if available, and current mailing address. Ask that the records be reviewed for additional unit or individual awards and decorations not reflected on the DD Form 214, correction of the DD Form 214, and issuance of a complete replacement set of awards and decorations if desired. Veterans should expect to wait at least four-six months for a response. Any request for changes to a DD Form 214 should be accompanied by the necessary documents to substantiate the claim.

CAS3
01-19-03, 10:42 AM
Wait a minute...There is more to that... <br />
DD form 293 is an application for review of discharge. Initial application must be made within fifteen years after date of discharge. <br />
DD form 149...

firstsgtmike
01-19-03, 11:01 AM
Cas3

I received my DD214's in less than three months last year using the SF 180.

mrbsox
01-19-03, 12:30 PM
BUT...

Since we have CAS3 on OUR side, things will only take a few weeks. :D

:banana: :banana:

??? How do you find supporting documentation 20 years after EAS ??

Terry

firstsgtmike
01-19-03, 01:02 PM
I guess it would depend upon what you wanted changed, or wanted to prove, within the time limitations CAS3 pointed out.

Your entire SRB and medical records are on file and available as supporting documents.

MillRatUSMC
01-19-03, 01:49 PM
Question;
What if you were never given an of your medals?
Just the certificate on some and an entry in your SRB on other medals.
How do you get those.
Seeing that those wouldn't be replacements because you were never issued any.

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

firstsgtmike
01-19-03, 06:57 PM
I assume that since there is no requirement to survey (turn-in) the old medals in order to be issued a "replacement", it shouldn't make any difference.

jryanjack
01-19-03, 07:15 PM
So all you need to do is send in a letter tp the NPRC asking them to issue replacement medals and review the records? Does this also work for discharge certificates?

firstsgtmike
01-19-03, 07:30 PM
No,

Go to main page, this site, left column, Main Menu, "Free DD-214".

CAS3
01-19-03, 09:38 PM
For medals...use SF180. On there you can request medals, copy of DD214, personnel and medical records. CONUS has been taking one year to reply. A lot longer than it was last year. <br />
FYI...let all...

Lock-n-Load
01-20-03, 06:53 AM
Last Feb, I applied for a copy of my original DD214 which I had lost....I have two DD214s and two honorable discharges due to a re-enlisted off my first tour...I filed on an ordinary piece of...

Shaffer
01-20-03, 09:40 AM
Lock-n-load, you are very fortunate as it does NORMALLY take quite a while for DD214's to arrive. St. Louis claims they are receiving 5000 requests per day. There are a few websites and services that will help you get a DD214. Then there are also a few that try to rip you off and take advantage of vets. Obviously you can get a DD214 for free you fill out the appropraite paperwork and send it to the right place. I guess some folks find it easier to to let someone else do it for them as it can be confusing or a hassle. I have researched sites that help get DD214's and this is what I have concluded: I would recommend this site: www.dd214.org.

SF,
jerry

Sophora
01-20-03, 11:20 AM
Like Lock-n-Load, it only took about 3 weeks to get a copy of my dad's DD214 last yr. I ran into troubles later when I sent off for his SRB. they told me they only get them after a serviceman is...

Lock-n-Load
01-20-03, 11:36 AM
Yes, indeed, when I came onboard in Feb...Sophora greeted me and we have been Leatherneck.com buddies...thanks to Janine ,I followed her urging to apply for a DD214 copy from St.Louis, which I had put off for decades...so, I take this oppurtunity to thank ...Sophora and the staff of Leatherneck.com for having access to apply for this important document...hey, "BRaT", we must of had the same dedicated government employee processing our request with alacrity!!:marine:

Sophora
01-20-03, 11:56 AM
awww Christy, ya made me blush :) It's been my honor to know you and have the opportunity to pick your mind. You have helped me much in understanding my dad. You both were first blooded in Korea and talking with you has been a big help to me. I owe you the thanks. I'll always be your BRaT :D

Lock-n-Load
01-20-03, 12:11 PM
How many of us have a Marine father and a Marine mother???...I'm happy our trails crossed...it would be a given if I had served with your Dad in Korea...we would of connected firmly as combat Marines of that era of Marine history...whatever we do ....wherever we go...we are [all] United States Marines....sayonara, Janine:marine:

Sophora
01-20-03, 12:40 PM
Hey Christy, Have ya sent off for your Korean War Service medal? I'm thinking about sending off for one for dad, but I'll have to lie and claim to be his PNOK, his wrothless second wife wouldn't bother to get it :mad:

Korean War Service Medal (http://www.koreanwar.org/html/korean_war_service_medal.html)

mardet65
01-20-03, 02:04 PM
I sent off for replacement medals Nov 2001 and received them this past November almost a year to the day. However, they were out of USMC Good conduct Medals and I was instructed to wait 90 days then reapply for it. I guess it will take another year to get it???

Lock-n-Load
01-20-03, 03:27 PM
Janine.....I followed instructions and sent both my DD214 [copies] to the USAF at Randolph Field, Texas...about a month later I received it with a very nice honor/box and lapel ribbon plus,a ready to frame glossy certificate from ROK officials ...regarding the first one in 1951...all I got was the ribbon with 3 campaign stars to wear [at my own cost].:marine:

CAS3
01-20-03, 05:54 PM
Thanks Janine...Barndog had been looking for that link and since I have been home for almost a week,(left all wok at work!!) was not able to post it. Someone give him the heads up please.

Sophora
01-20-03, 06:19 PM
glad I could help Cas. Hope to get it for dad someday...got two grandsons who should know about their greatgrandaddy

CAS3
01-21-03, 09:09 AM
Just messing around and found this:
http://www.1armystore.com/Smart/usmcop.html

mrbsox
09-21-04, 07:25 AM
Look at the original date on this thread...

My EAS was Dec '79.
Oct and Nov, 3/6 had gone down to GITMO and rebuilt the fortifications and such, in a operation to keep things on the level down there. 3/6 had since been awarded the 'Navy Meritorius Unit Commendation' for that deployment, but I had already EASd. I contacted the 1st Sgt a few years back, and he verified that I rated the ribbon.
Also in 1980, the Sec of Navy had authorized the 'Sea Service Deployment' ribbon, making it retro-active to Aug '74, when the 'National Defense' ribbon had been discontinued with the official close of the Viet Nam conflict. It of course was not in my SRB either.

I applied online, for corrections, loaded and saved the pages, all the instructions. Back in April or may, I got an envelope with SOME pages of my SRB, and a letter that another office had to review part of my request.

YESTERDAY, got a package...
Good Conduct MEDAL (I had the award already)
NMUC ribbon (and authorization)
SSD ribbon (and authorization)

Thanks for posting the links to get this going Cas....
And the rest of you can take advantage. Just be patient.

Now....
If I can just get Jerry to fix my member scripts, so I can post pics and such, I can set up my signature to display. :marine:

Terry

thedrifter
09-21-04, 12:04 PM
Terry

Try posting the pic...to see if it works....

Jerry has been working on it and I sent you a PM to let us see the magic.....

Ellie