PDA

View Full Version : Preview showing of "Flags of Our Fathers"

drumcorpssnare
10-16-06, 01:44 PM
Has anyone else seen the preview showing of "Flags of Our Fathers"? A VFW post commander gave me a card to admit 2 to the showing, last Wed. A fellow Marine and I sat in the front row. Really good movie. Great special effects. At times, you'll feel like you were there. A real tragedy how the govt. "used" these Marines. Sure, Hayes and Gagnon should have helped with the bond drive, but they really were treated poorly, as the movie and book show.
"All right...listen up, Marines! You WILL proceed to your local theatre at the appointed time and view this movie! Do you UNDERSTAND ME? You will go, and you WILL enjoy it! Do I make myself clear!?"
:usmc:

luvmipapa
10-16-06, 03:00 PM
I am going this weekend to see it but I am also reminded of a couple of Marines that were there during that time,that went on with their lives and choose not to rely on their military service in civilian life,I am sure there are many who have done the same but did not become a public icon . I am refering to the late actor Lee Marvin and Tv show host Bob Keesean.Not to forget Eddie Arnold in the list.

thedrifter
10-16-06, 03:54 PM
Hubby and are planning on going this Friday

Ellie

drumcorpssnare
10-16-06, 04:38 PM
luvmipapa- Roger that, on Lee Marvin...Bob Keeshan...and Eddie Albert. I know Albert was a beachmaster, and Captain Kangaroo (Keeshan) was in fact a Captain in the Marine Corps. Don't know the facts on Marvin...but have been told he was a good leader in combat.
My First Sargeant in Hawaii saw action at Iwo. The scuttlebutt at the time was that, even though he could no longer pass the PFT, the Corps was going to let him retire at 30 yrs. due to his valor and leadership during THAT battle.
He was a good man, and I respected him a lot, for having been there and lived to tell it.
SEMPER FI First Sgt.!!!:usmc:

Seeley
10-16-06, 06:32 PM
I'd love to go see it this weekend, but I'll be in Montana for my KIA drivers' father's wedding. I'll have to watch it next week sometime I guess.