PDA

View Full Version : Moms prepare care packages for Marines

thedrifter
10-16-06, 06:34 AM
Moms prepare care packages for Marines
Former Marine gives back after getting similar package when he was in Iraq
By Stephanie Guadian

(10/15/06 - KTRK/HOUSTON) - Some Houston mothers get together to show support for our troops in Iraq. They're packing up care packages to be sent overseas.

After three years and thousands of care packages, many Houston Marine moms have become experts in what the troops serving in Iraq need and want.

Inside each box, you'll find things most people probably take for granted, like soap, nacho cheese and potato chips...and thanks to the employees and customers of a northwest Harris County Starbucks, 900 pounds of Starbucks coffee.

Marine Christopher Gibson served in Iraq and received a similar box and now that he's home, he hasn't forgotten about those still overseas.

"Mail call day is just like Christmas," he said. "Anybody that gets a package, it's just the greatest thing in the world. So I know it meant a lot to me when I was there to get packages. So to be able to help out some Marines over there with some packages, it just feels really good.

The Houston Marine moms say the city has been very generous in donations. They themselves deserve credit for the countless hours spent boxing and shipping the supplies.

"Moms and dads do it to keep busy," said Christopher's mother, Kay Gibson. "I mean, sending your son or daughter to war is the hardest thing I've ever done. It is therapy for us as well."

It is an emotional labor of love. But at the end of the day, these moms find reason to smile and celebrate.

"I would like to do a special toast to our Marine back at home," said Kay. "Yeah!"

We're told the troops serving in Iraq are now requesting socks and hand warmers as the weather there begins to cool. Another popular gift is phone cards.

Ellie