PDA

View Full Version : Question about the barracks.

Rockabilly
10-14-06, 02:15 AM
I was wondering what are the barracks like after boot camp, are they little rooms to which 2 Marines are assigned or is it one big hall mixing up 30 Marines. The reason I ask this is because my mother said that I couldnt bring my guitars with me during my time in the Marines Corps because somebody can just up and pick it off. But I am aware that my guitars could be the least of my worries but those keep me somewhat sane

I hope yall understand that

jinelson
10-14-06, 03:39 PM
Once you get to your fleet assignment you will be in a two man room with locking doors. When your in MCT/SOI and maybe even school you will be in squad bays. I knew several Marines that had guitars and never had them lost. When it comes time to move its just more stuff you have to carry. I would say bring just one at the most.

SgtHopperUSMC
10-14-06, 04:46 PM
Wow, my first room in the fleet was a two man with a curtain as a door and the wall didn't go all the way to the ceiling. haha But that was on Okinawa before they built the new barracks at Camp Hansen. I was a barracks manager for a little while before I got out in 95. Most are two man rooms and not too shabby. Just keep it clean don't live like a pig and you will do fine. Back in the late 80's early 90's you had a wall locker and a secretary that would lock too. Not sure how it is now.

Marine84
10-14-06, 05:51 PM
It will be different everywhere you go. During school there were 3 of us to a room, El Toro was 3 to a room, thought I was in heaven in Japan - my own room. The hardest thing to get used to was not (whatsoever) being able to have somebody of the opposite sex in there - maybe that's why hotels do so good around military bases - HAHAHA!

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-14-06, 09:02 PM
Most places have 2 man rooms, and the conditions get better all the time. But, there are Marines living in squad bays right now that are neither students nor in bootcamp.

Regardless, I am sure your guitar will be just fine. If you can trust your life to someone, you should be able to trust them to be in the same room as your stuff without running off with it.

J-Ro
10-14-06, 09:59 PM
Yeah, I think so too.
I've seen plenty of Marines playing their Guitars anywhere and everywhere around the Barracks
I don't think you'll have a problem at all.
:cool:

cplbrooks
10-15-06, 08:54 PM
It will be different everywhere you go. During school there were 3 of us to a room, El Toro was 3 to a room, thought I was in heaven in Japan - my own room. The hardest thing to get used to was not (whatsoever) being able to have somebody of the opposite sex in there - maybe that's why hotels do so good around military bases - HAHAHA!

Interesting problem. Never had any WM's stationed with us so i wouldnt know.

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-15-06, 09:14 PM
We didn't have the rule about nobody of the opposite sex being in the rooms. They were supposed to leave when visiting hours ended, but I never once saw the visiting hours enforced.

Achped
10-15-06, 09:38 PM
We didn't have the rule about nobody of the opposite sex being in the rooms. They were supposed to leave when visiting hours ended, but I never once saw the visiting hours enforced.

That's what IM TALKING ABOUT OORAH!

Marine84
10-16-06, 07:47 AM
Visiting hours? I wish!

I ain't saying we never did have anybody in the rooms - I don't know how many times I had to throw somebody in a wall locker because the Staff Duty would come a knockin'.