PDA

View Full Version : DEP Question

J4k3
10-13-06, 01:26 PM
Have any of you done the Delayed Entry Program ? Im a Jr in High School and I want to join the Marines through the DEP. As far as I know you can go to Basic and when you complete Basic you return to School to finish your Senior year. once done you go on to infantry school and the rest of the training agreed upon in the contract.

But while in your Senior year, you are considerd in the Reserves and drill on certin days.

Is this true and can you give me any more details ?

Thanks.

jinelson
10-13-06, 02:02 PM
Jake there are many here that are in the delayed entry program (DEP) and they are the ones that have the Poolee/DEP status and the avitar of the guy doing push ups. The Delayed Entry Program is for
Students who wish to complete the Marine Corps enlistment process before graduating from high school or a community college may enlist in the Marine Corps Delayed Entry Program (DEP). Enlistment in the DEP allows applicants to postpone their initial active duty training for up to a full year. Enlisting in the DEP has two principal benefits: the student can finish high school or community college and get into training as it becomes available. We go to recruit training or boot camp as we call it the army goes to basic training. You must be 17 years old and in your senior year of high school. Everything is contingent to you passing the ASVAB general knowlege test and a very thorough physical examination as well as a clean criminal record. During this time you will pick your military occupational specialty (MOS) and your tentative ship date. Upon graduating and receiving your high school diploma then you will ship to recruit training at either MCRD San Diego, California or MCRD Parris Island, South Carolina.

Im sure that some of our Poolees will help you along with your questions. Do all the reading you can of our forums and you will learn all of the knowlege that you need too.

Welcome Aboard

Jim

J4k3
10-13-06, 02:09 PM
Thank you Jim. Clean Criminal record ? does that include minor offences ?

jinelson
10-13-06, 02:16 PM
Yes it sure does even traffic tickets. If you take care of them you should be alright however, it may require a waiver. Your recruiter will be able to explain all that to you when you begin the process. Just keep out of trouble from here on out.

STA0311
10-13-06, 03:20 PM
DEP cuts time off of your IRR contract time too.

J4k3
10-13-06, 04:23 PM
IRR contract ?

STA0311
10-13-06, 04:31 PM
You do 4 years ACTIVE and then are obligated to 4 years INACTIVE (you can be recalled for service during that time but have no commitment to a unit). The inactive time is Individual Ready Reserve...if you are in DEP for a year, then you have only 3 years of IRR.

J4k3
10-13-06, 05:08 PM
Oh, cool. If somthing came up after I left the corps I would probly re-enlist by myself.

One other ? is while in DEP I go to Drills on certin weekends right ? How many are required ? and where do you go for Drills ? What do you do on Drills ? What is Drillpay ?

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-13-06, 05:53 PM
No, you don't go to drill when you are in the DEP. That is the reserve. You get paid nothing while you're in the DEP, but you will be expected to show up at pool functions where you will PT and learn things you need to know about the Marine Corps.

proachbass91
10-14-06, 03:40 PM
The Marine Corps does not have a program were you go to boot camp during the summer after your junior year. The Army or Naitonal guard does have a progrm like that though.

J4k3
10-14-06, 04:27 PM
WTF, are you kiding me. So why is the minimum age 17 ?

PooleeJon23
10-14-06, 04:48 PM
Umm because there are people that finish there senior year before they turn 18...I would be one of them. I'm still turning 18 before I leave, but I could leave right when I got out of school. Plus they have D.E.P. which is bomb. It's no huge thing, but you have access to so many people who can help you. Basically just go to 2 Pt's a month depending on your RSS, but nothing huge time taken from you. A lot of stuff you end up doing will probably be optional. Like 2 times a week I go into the office just to lift and hang out.

Poskew
10-14-06, 05:16 PM
My RS only has one poolee function a month. We all get hyped up when we play durham in football. They are our rival RS. We have a grudge with them when we made it to the final game in football after beating all the other RS and lost to Durham by a touchdown in the final minute. Gahhhh it still gets my blood flowing thinking about it. Its fun though. Good work out had a poolee function today.

J4k3
10-14-06, 06:11 PM
So I can become a Poolee one year from the time I am able to go to Boot ?

Poskew
10-14-06, 06:17 PM
Spot on mate :thumbup:

J4k3
10-14-06, 06:46 PM
That dont make sence If im 17 when I go to boot, I cant use the DEP time of one year to finish high school when i finish boot ? Its seems like it would work out just like the Armys program.

I would hate to wait until im 18

Kildars
10-14-06, 06:51 PM
That dont make sence If im 17 when I go to boot, I cant use the DEP time of one year to finish high school when i finish boot ? Its seems like it would work out just like the Armys program.

I would hate to wait until im 18

Your grammar/spelling shows you need to finish school. I had to read that about three times to understand it.

The Marine Corps has a DEP program for a reason, if the DEP program is enough to **** you off maybe the Corps isn't for you? You can DEP in when you're seventeen, and if you graduate HS before you turn 18. Then cheers to you, and you can go. If not, then no. Graduate, then boot camp. It's how it works. Sorry.

J4k3
10-14-06, 07:02 PM
You were never a Marine, Nor are you a Poolee so im not asking you. Im asking a question that I have intrest in I would like if you could answer it like the MARINES and POOLEEs have in the past.

So damn rude.

Poskew
10-14-06, 07:10 PM
^^ Wrarrrrr

J4k3
10-14-06, 07:12 PM
Not trying to be a Jerk but thats there is no need for him to be an ass like that :mad:

Poskew
10-14-06, 07:15 PM
Im on your side bud. Either do DEP or make like a tree and split. <--- That was the only thing I could think of saying without the Marines getting mad at me.

J4k3
10-14-06, 07:18 PM
I will do DEP, thanks for your help. I was just a bit confused thats all.

Poskew
10-14-06, 07:28 PM
No problem man. Good luck with the DEP. Hope to see you down the road some day.

Accord
10-14-06, 10:09 PM
You don't have any choice in the matter - You cannot ship to boot camp until you graduate from high school. No exceptions. If you have a GED, then you must go get 15 college credits before being eligible to join.

The Marine Corps isn't hurting for new recruits, therefore only the most qualified are accepted and there is no point in sending kids to bootcamp who aren't even finished high school yet.

And grow some thicker skin, Kildars didn't say anything bad or rude to you... your recruiter will make fun of you all day long at pool functions and if you show any weakness it will just get worse.

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-14-06, 10:18 PM
J4K3, the rules of this forum state that you should use proper grammar when making a post, just as if you are turning your post in to your teacher for a grade. We let it slide quite often, but Kildars was correct in his post. He wasn't being a jerk, he was trying to get you to correct your mistake.

As for it not making sense, it doesn't have to make sense. The Marine Corps doesn't ask our opinion when they make the rules. They have decided that you can't go to boot camp until you're out of high school, so that is how its going to be. I agree with it, but don't really see the need to go into it right now.

Kildars
10-14-06, 10:38 PM
You were never a Marine, Nor are you a Poolee so im not asking you. Im asking a question that I have intrest in I would like if you could answer it like the MARINES and POOLEEs have in the past.

So damn rude.

I was a poolee and I have been on this forum longer than you have, this question has been asked before so I know the answer. Like the Corporal said the Marine Corps does not care/want your opinion it's their way or the Army.

You should learn some respect for people who try to help you, Marine or not we're not trying to hurt you, we're giving you advice as you ask it.

poolie13
10-20-06, 10:54 AM
Have any of you done the Delayed Entry Program ? Im a Jr in High School and I want to join the Marines through the DEP. As far as I know you can go to Basic and when you complete Basic you return to School to finish your Senior year. once done you go on to infantry school and the rest of the training agreed upon in the contract.

But while in your Senior year, you are considerd in the Reserves and drill on certin days.

Is this true and can you give me any more details ?

Thanks.
Hey Bro,
I'm currently in the DEP and it rocks! The only thing is u don't go through boot camp while ur in. You train 4 bootcamp on certain days, it prepares u 4 it. But while ur in DEP u can get a chance to get promoted 2 PFC or get ur dress blues when u get out. Hey man if ur interested or anyone else u know is interested in joining it's the best route.

Marine84
10-20-06, 11:30 AM
Are you straight on it now j4k3?

J4k3
10-20-06, 02:01 PM
Yes Ma'am, thanks for the help. :thumbup: