PDA

View Full Version : Why do people Join the Marines?

WJason777
10-13-06, 11:38 AM
If you read my last post about why do people always down the marines you would know that I am doing a research project about the Marines for school. Well I would like to ask everyone what was your reason for joining the Marines? Why not any other branch?

Marine84
10-13-06, 01:22 PM
there's other branches?

I joined because I was looking for a few good men my dam self!

Nah, I joined because I knew it would be the hardest one to get through and I just wanted to see if I could do it. And, if you join any other branch first and flip to the Corps, you have to go through bootcamp AGAIN - if you join the Corps first and move to another branch, you don't have to go through bootcamp. It's a known FACT that we have the sharpest uniforms. My Dad and an Uncle were Marines. And the Corps trains their women seperately.

rktect3j
10-13-06, 02:53 PM
When I first thought of joining up I went to the other recruiters first. My reason was more because the Marine recruiters are not so visable in my area. At any rate By the time I went to the Army recruiter I was not very sure of this decision to join any branch. So I go into this Army recruiting station. Dumpy little place. I walk through the door and see the Army recruiter sitting there at his desk sitting down in his uniform. Didn't inspire me at all at this point. The uniform sure didn't look like something I wanted to be caught dead in. This guy is sitting there having his lunch and starts talking to me without even getting out of his barkalounger. "Yeah we got positions open, what doya want?" he says while finishing off his lunch. Real professional type I was talking with here. By the end of this interview I thought my quest was over. I had really had it.

As it turned out my father was a Marine for two years in the 50's. He knew I had looked around a bit and called up the Marine recruiter. Now, I don't recall the recruiters name today but I do remember being impressed when this Sergaent walked into my house. We sat down and he took real interest in me and my goals. Talked to me about how it was in the Corps. Laid it all out there for me to digest. No hard pressure sales either. Just all professional. All hooked up. Walked straight. Looked well groomed. No lunch falling out of his teeth. I thought this had to be it. I want what this guy has. Pride, respect and honor.

You can't get that in that quantity or quality in any other branch. People can still tell to this day that I served in the Corps. They see it without the uniform on.

Camper51
10-13-06, 03:06 PM
My reason for joining the Marines was that the Navy said "NO" so I went next door and guess what? The Marine recruiter said "Lets get you signed up." and there I was for the next 8 years. Best decision that was ever made for me, ha ha ha ha ha...

jinelson
10-13-06, 03:34 PM
I went in during the Vietnam War and didnt want to be drafted into the Army or Marines as I wanted to serve, so I enlisted. I figured if I was going into a combat zone I wanted to be with the best so I would stand a better chance of surviving. I grew up on WWII and Korean War movies and decided at a young age that the Corps was for me. It was the best decision I made in my life.

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-13-06, 05:45 PM
I wanted to be a Marine since I was pretty young. (Full Metal Jacket did me in) But, when it came time to enlist, I decided to ask around. The Army told me I couldn't be a Ranger or Special Forces because I'm color blind. I went over to the Navy, they told me I couldn't be a SEAL or SWCC because I'm color blind. I went into the Air Force office and they told me I couldn't be a Combat Controller or a PJ because I'm color blind. So, I went into the Marine office and they told me there were some things I couldn't do, but I could be a Marne. That is all I needed, or wanted, to hear. I never looked back and haven't regretted it.

J-Ro
10-13-06, 10:54 PM
[quote=Marine84]there's other branches?

Exactly... that's what I try to tell people all the time.
Nobody listens, Air Force, Coast Guard, Army (Haaa....)

MARINE CORPS!!!
:cool:
“The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!”

WJason777
10-13-06, 10:56 PM
Thanks guys, keep em coming!

jebollenbach
10-13-06, 11:44 PM
No one I know wants to be number 2.

vfitch
10-15-06, 09:18 PM
My brother was killed in Vietnam when I was 4. I only remember seeing him in the casket in his dress blues. As I grew older I remembered the uniform. I started asking questions as far back as I can remember. My father told me that my brother had joined because he wanted to be the best. I remember talking to the recruiter and he told me it wasn't going to be easy but hell if it were easy everyone could do it. I made up my mind that this was what I wanted and it was the best decision I have ever made.
Semper FI!

fthicklen
10-15-06, 11:07 PM
I believe this country is the best in the world, not perfect, but the best. The best service in the world is the Marines, not perfect, but the best. As a Boy Scout I learned to "do your best", so I joined the best.

sgt tony
10-16-06, 01:25 PM
Well the Army of One, Air Force wild Bule Yonder, Navy ride the waves, and Marine The Few The Proud The Marines. Well i wanted to be the best that could cover the ground, ride the waves and be in the deep blue skyes that what The Marines offered the oppertunity to be all and be the best. And while I was a recuriter I never sold a MOS I sold the Marines then after that was a MOS.

gregba02
10-24-06, 10:07 AM
I joined the Marines because i wanted to be part of the brotherhood and spirit that only Marines share. Anywhere a Marine goes, no matter how old they are, we help each other out. Whenever Marines see someone wearing Marine Corps gear, you'll usually always hear someone say Semper Fi to them. Not to everyone though. In some weird way you can tell who's a marine and who's just wearing the material. Just remember once a marine, always a marine.

DWG
10-24-06, 10:52 AM
I swear, I thought the guy said PEACE Corps. What a suprise PI was!!!

:scared:

killerinstinct
10-24-06, 10:58 AM
For me it was a funny story. I never really heard much about the Marine Corps and when the recruiter kept refering to "The Corps". The first thought in my mind was like reserves or something. But after hanging with the recruiters I appreciated how they could just goof off, even though I knew recruiteing was probably a bit more laid back than the fleet. I just liked how they were cool upfront, at least my recruiter was, and were able to say whats on their minds.

When I finally graduated I ended up learning i was a 5 generation Marine which I learned from my grandfather who served in the korean war. It ended up where I understood my grandfather and why he is who he is. He never spoke of it till that day I was dismissed from the parade deck.

Echo5November
10-24-06, 07:56 PM
same for me D W George. I thought it said Peace Corps, but I checked the wrong box instead.

DWG
10-25-06, 09:07 AM
Yeah; I was expecting dim-witted hippie chicks trying to save the world and bare breasted native women-I woke up to some skinny guy in a funny hat screaming like a banshee and swinging a tent post like he was going for the bleachers-YIKES!!

:sick:

Eric Hood
11-22-06, 12:49 PM
I wanted to be in the best fighting unit in the world. I wanted to see, if I could make it through Parris Island. This is a great county and worth serving.
Eric

spwilliams7236
03-17-07, 06:05 AM
The history and traditions of the Marine Corps is what I love. After graduating PI, my father wouldn't bring me home because I still had some of the recruit paranoia (like someone is gonna jump out of the bushes and start thrashing me) so we stayed in Beaufort at a friends house. They brought me to a country bar with my high & tight, and I started B.S.ing with an older guy. He told me of HIS PI experience in 1943, but actually broke down when he mentioned Okinawa.
6 months later the same thing happened with an uncle of mine. Its a brotherhood. Sometimes some of us get it a little twisted. But in the end, the Brotherhood of the Corps is what I love about it.