PDA

View Full Version : settle this one for me-Once a Marine-Always a Marine?

greybeard
01-18-03, 11:44 PM
Alright, I'm an older Marine. Haven't worn the uniform in over 30 yrs, but still a Marine thru & thru. Today I met someone on the web, who calls himself a 'former Marine'. When I held him to the fire on it, he said it has always been appropriate for someone out of active duty to refer to themselves in that way. He got a little testy about it too. Said something like:
"Guess you were the kind of Marine that jumped into a fight at the drop of a hat. I was never a jarhead, I was a Marine."
Is this something common with the 'New Breed'?:confused:

Earle Comstock
01-18-03, 11:53 PM
Did you ask him if it was the United States Marines , that would have been my first Question. My second would have been if he got out on an honorable discharge .This 3rd and 4th questions would only be asked if I didn't like his first 2 answers . Was he a woman Marine (no offense ladies) , and where do you live?
Some how I would have gotten to the bottom of this .
Maybe he was discharged because they found out he was gay ?
I'm 1 proud Marine !

Barrio_rat
01-19-03, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by greybeard
Alright, I'm an older Marine. Haven't worn the uniform in over 30 yrs, but still a Marine thru & thru. Today I met someone on the web, who calls himself a 'former Marine'. When I held him to the fire on it, he said it has always been appropriate for someone out of active duty to refer to themselves in that way. He got a little testy about it too. Said something like:
"Guess you were the kind of Marine that jumped into a fight at the drop of a hat. I was never a jarhead, I was a Marine."
Is this something common with the 'New Breed'?:confused:

Well, I'm among the newest of the 'Breed' to no longer be active/reserve/retired and I'm a Jarhead, Mahreeeen, Jyreen, Marhead (always kinda liked that one) ... Green through and through and any other 'nickname' derogitory or otherwise that you can use to describe someone who has served in the USMC. Though, I have known some who took the professionalism to an extreme. It never bothered me unless they considered their way the 'standard' and, therefor, everyone else unsat. For me, a Marine is a Marine is a Marine.

Greybeard, my question to you would be, how did you describe yourself? As an ex-Marine? For the newer of us, we don't claim to be ex anything, we are former Marines as, once a Marine always a Marine. Though, this always confused me because isn't using the word 'former' a form of past tense - therefor 'no longer'?

I guess the easiest way to describe what WE are would be to say, I was in the US Marine Corps but I will always be a Marine. A long way to say it but more accurate.

Then, there are those people, Marine or not, that are just hell bent on picking at issues and making an argument for the sake of the argument. Not that there's anyone around this site like that! ;)

Don't know if I helped or hindered in this... I'm interested to see what some of the career Marines have to say on the subject as well as the others on this site. Should prove interesting.

thedrifter
01-19-03, 05:11 AM
WE ALL ARE NOW CALLED VETERAN MARINES, NOT EX, FORMER OR I WAS IN THE CORPS. THE OUT GOING CMC GAVE US THIS NEW TITLE THIS PAST YEAR.

SO OFFICIALLY WE ARE NOW ALL VETERAN MARINES.

THE SAYING "ONCE A MARINE ALWAYS A MARINE" IS NOT JUST A SAYING, IT IS A WAY OF LIFE AND INSTILLED IN ALL OF US TRUE MARINES. IT IS IN OUR HEARTS AND SOULS.

Sempers,

Roger

Barndog
01-19-03, 05:27 AM
I'm a career Marine, tho my 214's states otherwise. All 3 of them.
1 from the Marine Corps, 2 from the Army National Guard.

Being a Marine isn't just the Eagle, Globe and Anchor your earn. Nor is it the title your speak to people who ask you about it.

It's a way of life. You either live it. Or, simply don't. My Marine mentality went into remission until 22 Aug 02, it had for a period of about 12 years. Give or take. Various reason - some of which are told in my personal stories here in the forum(s). Not by any means conclusive. Many of those are deeply personal, many are highly resentful, some of them I dare say, at times I think I would feel better taking care of it in MY Marine fashion, and fulfill MY Marine payback for what happened. That's mine.

My Brother Bones says his VA shrink ( LOL - I can say that and laugh myself...... cause I made a civilian shrink quit practice - and that story is another time I think LOLOL) - stated once .... " You never got out of the Marine Corps, Mr Bonesteel"...... his reply.......
"Once a Marine, always a Marine"... then he laughed. It is funny to morons. If you can't grasp the concept, then you aint gonna.

In the prologue to 'A Fellowship of Valor - the Battle History of the US Marines" ( I can hardly read - it's dark in heres LOL) - Col Joe Alexander writes about - ". that special esprit de corps stamped on Marines of all ages as a distinct breed apart and fosters that charateristic brash confidence that so infuriates warriors of other services ....... yet remains so essential to the Marines' traditional propensity to close, offensive combat.
This spirit combines unmatched fighting ferocity with loyal dedication to the 'Band of Brothers' - the haunting immortality of
Semper Fidelis".

I can damm near recite that. But , being a man of attention to detail, I didn't want to fVck it up.

OOOOOOH RAHHHHHHHHHHH

Barndog
01-19-03, 05:29 AM
Well holy geeeeeezus H!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do I get another medal now?

LOLOLOL

(Barndog refrains from further comment as not to display unprofessional conduct unbecoming a Marine of the highest character)

Semper Fidelis

MillRatUSMC
01-19-03, 05:29 AM
I for one always consider myself as a Marine.
My Honorable Discharge states that I was "Honorably Discharged from the United States Marine Corps on the 5th day of 1968 as a testimestial of Honest and faithful Service.
It doesn't state that I had give up the title earned some ten years earlier.
I'll be leaving this world as a Marine and Rich that last from my first name.
I came into this world "Rich" and I'll leave it "Rich" after having earn the privilege very FEW get the HONOR to.
That being the title of a United States Marine.
But I do consider myself a Former Staff Sergeant of Marines, in contrast to an active Staff Sergeant of Marines.
Now I'll be adding that I'm a Veteran Marine!

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo aka Richard aka Rich

Barndog
01-19-03, 05:35 AM
One better for you to consider Brothers................

When some a-hole (remember that term LOL) says .." are you a Marine (think Tiny Tim and sh!t LOLOL - it works great for the visual)

Say to them in your best, most profound, with the highest degree of military bearing........no smiles, no smirks, at ATTENTION -

"Yes I am a Marine. Until I take my dying breath".

I call that an 'impact statement'. LOL

Semper FI

firstsgtmike
01-19-03, 05:59 AM
Why do people insist on reinventing the wheel? Over and over again?

Why take a perfectly good prime rib and hash it and hash it, and rehash it over and over again until it looks and smells like puke?

A medical doctor is an M.D. and carries the title Doctor with him to his grave, even though he gave up pacticing medicine 30 years ago.

A Phd also carries the title Doctor with him to his grave, even though he had not worked in his field in the past 30 years.

A woman who gives birth to a child is a Mother. Good, bad, or indifferent. Her children can be 60 years of age, she will ALWAYS be a Mother. No one can ever say that she is an ex-mother, a former mother, or that she used to be a mother. She IS a Mother.

We are MARINES, on active duty, no longer on active duty, or retired from active duty, a Marine Veteran.

The day this Pvt. graduated bootcamp, he became a MARINE, and will ALWAYS be a MARINE.

I am NOT an ex-marine, a former marine, or used to be a marine. I was a Marine PFC once. I was a Marine Cpl, once, I was a Marine Sgt, once. (Some people run up and down the ladder two or three times.) But from graduation day, ALWAYS and FOREVER, a MARINE.

A woman may choose to hide the fact that she is a mother. He may choose to hide the fact that he is a Marine. But the fact remains, she will always be a mother, and he will always be a Marine.

She gave birth, he experienced a rebirth at MCRD.

And that's NOT my opinion, that's FACT!

Barndog
01-19-03, 06:06 AM
FVCK It.

I'm shuttin my mouth from now on.

The floor is The First Sergeant's.

ANY QUESTIONS - FWD THEM TO TOP.

(if you need a good secretary, I need a job. Will work for nothing but lots of ass chewings, the occasional atta-boy, and beer)

Need a resume?

Signed,

Anxiously Awaiting

mardet65
01-19-03, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by firstsgtmike
We are MARINES, on active duty, no longer on active duty, or retired from active duty, a Marine Veteran.
The day this Pvt. graduated bootcamp, he became a MARINE, and will ALWAYS be a MARINE.

When I got out of the Corps in 1969 it was commonly accepted to use the term "Former Marine" but never "Ex-Marine".
However, I never concidered myself or acted like anything other than a Marine. This included the years while in the Air National Guard wearing the Air Force uniform and in civilian life wearing a police uniform and now a VFW uniform. They may have looked different on the outside but inside there was always a Marine. Whatever you choose to call yourself or what others choose to call us, from the day you graduate boot camp you bear an indelible mark upon your soul. Laplanders have over 200 names that translate to "Raindeer". The reason for this is that the raindeer is the center of their civilization. Without this animal they would never have been able to exist. So, let others continue to name us however they choose; it just points out how integral the Marine Corps has been to the survival of our nation and how our society views us. All we need to remember is we are and always will be Marines.

USMC-FO
01-19-03, 07:39 AM
Well as usual the "Top" put this all to rest ! Move on as the saying goes. I think it would be great to post all this at our recruiting stations for the youngsters to see, might help them understand us all.

I for one became a Marine in Nov 1962, I am currently a Marine on temporary detached civilian duty. It is only a matter or time until I am recalled, and I am ready to march my walker into the sand at a moments notice !

Semper Fi !!

greybeard
01-19-03, 02:05 PM
Tried to reply to this in the wee hrs of the morning but the server went down or something right in the middle of it.
Didn't mean to start a controversy on my 3rd or 4th post here, being a fng and all, & certainly don't mean any disrespect to the younger Marines with my New Breed comment. (Ya ought to hear what the older Marines called us back in 67)

Here is the answers to the questions some of you queried me with.
I'm from West Texas-the other guy is from somewhere in Calif.
I don't know anything about his discharge status.
My reputation on that board is well known by all as a Marine period-be a cold day in hel* when I identify myself as an 'ex Marine', and even then the devil better bring a light lunch & 2 prs of gloves cause the fight's gonna start.
I don't know anything about his sexual preference-don't intend to ask either.
I don't know how long he has been discharged from active duty.

The thread was started by 'former Marine', and was a pretty liberal swipe at GW Bush and the upcoming Iraqi endeavor. The usual "lives for oil" crap. He was jumped on pretty hard by a bunch of memebrs but I stayed out of it till I read this, pasted directly from his post.

"What is wrong with you guy's? I bet there are not many former military personel hungry for war, nevermind my friends in the USMC that are shipping out now. And yes I am a former Marine."

NOW I replied:
"It's taken me a lifetime to run across a liberal 'former Marine'. (what the heck is that anyway-a new one on me)"

Got a PM from him saying there was no need to get personal, & I had no right to question his military service on a public forum. (I didn't, I questioned his use of the terminolgy)
Said THAT term was appropriate for someone outt of active service. Went on to say he guessed I was the type of Marine that jumped into a fight at the drop of a hat (guilty) and that he was never a jarhead, but was a Marine.

I replied and like Barrio Rat, I told him I proudly answered to gyrene, Marine, leatherneck, jarhead and any number of other titles, and he was welcome to question MY military service at any time public or private. But, gave him the benefit of doubt & said I meant no offense, it was just the first time I had ever heard of a Marine refer to himself as a 'former Marine.
Got nothin personal against the guy, may be the greatest Marine ever for all I know, but I thought I would ask around & see if it was common usage-

USMC-FO-if ya need some help, we'll get a wheelchair, after I get a cortisone shot for my shoulder & I'll push ya thru the sand.
You'll have to navigate & be gunner tho, my eyes are not what the used to be.

But, veteran Marine? Guess I'll stick with the last part of it. I've got an old piece of paper somewhere with another Commandant's sig on it saying I am. ;)
Have a good one

leroy8541
01-19-03, 02:29 PM
I already been thru this one, with the top. I like the mother thing and apply it. You go call your mother ex-mother unless you like your head attatched to the shoulders. my mom is a big woman and I wouldn't dare call her ex, prior,former,veteran, I call her Mom. You can call me Marine you can call me Sam you can call me mutha fvcker just don't call me late for chow!!!

Earle Comstock
01-19-03, 07:19 PM
Lets not be confused with the old saying about building a 1,000 bridges and not being called a bridge builder . But suck one c*ck and your a coc*sucker for life .

Frank
01-22-03, 12:01 PM
San Angelo, Greybeard? Sh*t, that ain't West Texas. I recently moved to Okie land from Pecos - THAT's West Texas (sorry, just had to yank your gray beard). And I sure do miss it. I lived in Coleman, about 60mi NE of you, in 96-97.

Semper Fidelis, Frank

NamGrunt68
01-22-03, 12:48 PM
As soon as I finish writing this post, I'm gonna grab my flak jacket and steel pot and head fer my bunker cuz i think there's gonna be some dropped in the tube !!!!!!

"Once a Marine, Always a Marine".......BULLSH!T !!!

I used to believe that with my heart and soul. Not anymore. I've run across many Marines that I wouldn't share a fightin hole with in snowball fight against a squad o girl scouts !!! I met quite a few this weekend in DC !!! On the other side !!!

As far as I'm concerned there are Many "Former" Marines out there that need to turn in any Eagles, Anchors and Globes that they have tucked away in drawers at home and turn them in exchange for a bundle of petunia's !!!!

Roger hit it on the head......"Once a Marine, Always a Marine" is a title for "true" Marines !!! Some are true and some ain't........I don't know what changes them...maybe its marrying a leftest Jane Fonda type and having children that listen to their peers instead of Dad and pick up marxist ideas at school....then they take their beliefs home and pound it into Dads head until he can't take anymore and screams...OK...OK..."I give up"...........

Just my two centavo's.......now you can call in the co'ords for my hooch and let er rip !!!

wrbones
01-22-03, 12:53 PM
Damn, Dane! Sometimes you actually make sense!

Ya got room fer a winger in that hole? I can hit what I shoot at! Promise! You can even have my pound cake!

NamGrunt68
01-22-03, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by wrbones
Damn, Dane! Sometimes you actually make sense!

Ya got room fer a winger in that hole? I can hit what I shoot at! Promise! You can even have my pound cake!

Could you notorize your post and mail it to me !!! LMMFAO...
Phuckin AAA Bones.....fer pound cake I'd do anything fer ya !! If you throw in a can o fruit cocktail, I might would consider givin ya my extra can o ham & mofo's.........there's one damn thang I know fer your.....YOU'LL ALWAYS BE A MARINE AS WILL MOST OF THE BRO'S I'VE MET IN HERE !!!

GyG1345
01-22-03, 01:24 PM
I frequently get into it w/new Corps Marines over the use of terms we used to use in the Marine Corps and were OK, but now have tended to become negative terms--we had a hot discussion going on this same topic over at Sgt Grit's recently.

It sems that in my days in the Corps (1952-72) the use of ex-Marine was an OK term--now it would seem that they are conditioned to see ex-Marine as a derogatory term reserved only for those they consider "fallen" Marines, etc. And that the term former-Marine is the preferred term to use.

What is their authority for such? There is none--just merely a preferance/opinion of the herd mentality. The Internet has done much to perpetuate this kind of thinking, and every Marine messageboard on the Net hosts those regular inhabitants (duty-drunks, as I have come to think of them) who wait in readiness for someone to come aboard and dare to use a now "unauthorized"(to them) term!

One of their biggest bugaboos is the possibility that someone would dare refer to a Marine as a soldier--even worse than the dreaded ex-Marine term!

See my Soldiers Of The Sea for some of this...

When examined closely, HERE!!!!! (http://www.angelfire.com/ca/dickg/soldier.html)

greybeard
01-22-03, 11:17 PM
Got the PM GyG-& followed the link-good points of course. We've all probably been called far worse than a soldier. Guess it depends on the context & when & how a term is used. Maybe the media is partly responsibile, as they are quick to point out a criminal's past association with the USMC, (The UT Texas Tower sniper, Lee Oswald, etc) but rarely mention it if someone has received a great honor or done something of a positive nature.
As I said, I would never be so presumptious to question another's active service and did not in the case of the person I posted about. And I was probably a little cocky toward him in my private correspondanece, but it may have awakened something in him---In a recent reply to one of my public posts in the other forum, he ended with "Have a good one & Semper Fi- Marine."

I was wondering about something else. When registering here,
one of the boxes asks"Are you a Marine?" Wonder how many click 'yes' as I did, since I still consider myself one? It doesn't ask if you are active, reserve, retired, veteran Marine or anything else.

Which now brings me to another mystical term or 2, those being
'Old Salt and 'Old Corp". Out of extremely high reverence for those who came before me, I would never include myself as a member of those, but there may be a few youngsters who might look at me that way. Old Fogey would be much more accurate. :D

Frank, yeah, I know I live in south central Texas, we still have a few trees here, even if they are just Mesquite. I've been to Coleman quite a few times, or thru it on my way up to DFW. Fished Hord's Creek Reservoir a couple times too.

wrbones
01-22-03, 11:51 PM
Old Corps,

New Corps,

Winger,

Grunt,

Parris Island,

Hollywood!

It's all good!

Of course, anyone who was in before I was is OLD Corps! :D

Earle Comstock
01-23-03, 12:59 AM
Thats pretty much everybody in here Bones , cept for me . I know I'm boot to you , you old salt ...LOL:p

lurchenstein
01-23-03, 02:13 AM
Once... & Always...! Semper Fi, Do or Die...!
Anyone going on "Operation Human Shield"?

mardet65
01-23-03, 07:08 AM
I'd signup for human shield just to get close enough to get my hands around the neck of that O'Keefe jackoff! Anyone else catch this so called "Marine" on Fox News this morning???? The guy certainly has a personal agenda against the U.S. and freely admits to renouncing his citizenship. Too bad we can't revoke his title as a Marine.

Sgt Sostand
01-23-03, 08:51 AM
New Marine Corps it more like Easey Corps now i know some Marines that are in now and they have it easey. and when i talk to some about war just in case they have to go most of them said they wouldnt go. now the Marine Corps you did what you was told and did it well with no questions ask. i am a disable Marine and i look back and i wonder if the new Breed can stand up to the job. A Marine must be ready for anything at anytime i am hurt real bad and i know i still can pull my own load it just something inside you that no one can take away from you that keep you going i dont know how to Quit. (i will always be a Marine Until the day i die) Sgt Sostand SEMPER FI Do or Die

saul ramirez
01-23-03, 09:23 AM
It seems today marines are spoiled on somone like you and i who have endured the old school marine days that seem obsolite. i belive that todays marine will respond with the same honor and courage that we had displayed in our day will take the honor of the USMC to new height. as you and i should know even cowards sometimes disguse themselves as Marines.

Semper Fi

Barrio_rat
01-23-03, 12:00 PM
You will always have your few (notice that’s a small ‘f’) - the few who do not hold up their end when the bell rings. When we were gearing up for Operation Desert Shield, we got word that the XO had a stack of paperwork about an inch or two thick of conscientious objectors. My problem isn’t with the conscientious objector, it’s that if you have that conviction - for whatever reason - then you should have conviction enough to go to the S-1 and have it documented BEFORE any conflict comes up.

Sgt. Sostand, to your comments. When I was fairly new into the Corps but was gaining a grasp on how things worked, I brought up basically the same issue with a Sgt. I thought, if we went into war - REAL battle - that we would not, initially, be effective. I believed it would take an initial slaughtering of our own troops before our Boot Camp and Fleet training changed so that we would prevail in warfare. He believed I was wrong in this and posed to me his theory. That we are Marines and, as Marines, we would uphold our honor and traditions. That a Marine, when he did finally go to the Pearly Gates, would be greeted by Chesty Puller and be asked, “What did you do for my Corps?” The Marine would not want to be the one to say, “I hid behind a log and died and let my fellow Marines die.” That, as Marines, we would do all that we had to, to get the job done. Well, I was proven wrong in my theory in the winter of ‘91 when the Army had to play catch-up to the Marines sweeping through Kuwait. I think you will find the same is true today. You have a more informed Marine today because of the media and the times. There are aspects that I think do hinder the effectiveness of the Corps but, over all, they will do what is necessary when the time comes.

One thing that has hurt the Corps, in my opinion, is Moms Of America. They have basically stated, “you can’t hurt my child but you can kill him.” In that, the military of today is less prepared for what they will endure should they go into battle. My father bragged that the only scars he had were the ones he received in Boot Camp. He had ‘em till the day he died. Also, the pressures of society on the military have had their toll. It isn’t as rough as it used to be. The basic enlisted man has rights but also gets busted for some of the slightest infractions. I explained it to my father like this. In his day (early to mid 50's), they had less rights and more freedom. In today’s Marine Corps we have more rights but less freedom. Getting drunk on the weekend and “blowing off steam” will get you in serious trouble - especially if it involves a fight (God forbid it be with a civilian) or a vehicle.

I still believe, from my own experience in “The Newer Corps”, that the Marines of today will not let the Marines of the past down.

ladileathrnek
01-24-03, 09:02 AM
Now Now....I've heard the term former Marine a lot....but I must admit its always been from someone who was not the Marine. It was a civilian talking about a person being a former Marine. Or calling them an ex Marine. I am always quick to correct their phrasology and tell them we are Marines.

I have heard that an Ex Marine may be someone who was court-martialed and kicked out on a bad conduct or dishonorable.

But we that wore it once...wear it always. We live it, we earned it ---can't be taken away.

usmc85204
01-27-03, 12:04 PM
I earned the title MARINE. It wasn't given or bestowed upon me.I earned it and I will take it with me to the grave. You are drafted into the army, you join the navy, you sign up for the air force. You enlist in the Marine Corp, and if you are good enough you earn the right to be called a Marine. So as from Nov 66 I was,am and will always be a Marine. Semper Fi

Rob Parry
01-28-03, 12:14 PM
Some of us over this side of the water have started to refer to ourselves as Non-Serving Marines. Seems to work and says it all. There is no such creature as an Ex Marine.

Sticky blue
01-30-03, 05:40 PM
You guys amaze me. How is it that you have such massive Corps pride? I wish we could instill into our young Marines the same pride that you instill into yours! Don't get me wrong... our guy are very proud of what they do and who they are but they just seem to lack that little bit of pride that you wear on your sleeves 24/7/365.

wrbones
01-30-03, 05:43 PM
Proud! Hell, we ain't proud! We just tell the truth! :D

Actually, when we leave boot camp there isn't a thought in our head that tells us we can't do anything and aren't the baddest mofo's on the face of the planet! There is no doubt in our body that we are the best that ever fought. After boot camp, we don't understand what 'quit' is. It and other words like it become nonesense words to us. They have no meaning.

I admire the training you RM's go thru. Pretty intense it would seem. Lots of campin' and hikin' and such like. :D

thedrifter
01-30-03, 06:42 PM
Sticky Blue, it is something that is in our HEARTS and SOULS. You cannot buy it, it is born in all TRUE MARINES.
In one of my earlier posts I stated that We are now Veterans Marines a title that the outgoing CMC gave us last year. We are still all Marines, we just had a change of duty stations. You RM's are part of the Brotherhood/Sisterhood, that only a Marine knows about.

Sempers,

Roger

lurchenstein
01-30-03, 09:05 PM
Amazing, but true!

Motor-T
02-07-03, 05:44 AM
I stepped on the yellow foot prints at MCRD SD on 19Jan71 as a Marine Recruit. On 6 April71 I became a Marine and have been one ever since.

NamGrunt68
02-07-03, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by Sticky blue
You guys amaze me. How is it that you have such massive Corps pride? I wish we could instill into our young Marines the same pride that you instill into yours! Don't get me wrong... our guy are very proud of what they do and who they are but they just seem to lack that little bit of pride that you wear on your sleeves 24/7/365.

Hey bro...since you Marines is closer to France than us, why don't you get a group o yer bro's together and go over and B!tch slap a few o them limp wristed Frenchies around for awhile for me....they're puttin a damper on Dubya's efforts to go into Iraq and open up a can o whup azz @!!!!! Just thought ya might like to have a lil fun !!!! Have a good un !!!

fishon
02-07-03, 07:48 AM
We R Marines till the end. I like what the First Sgt Mike said. Mothers R not x mothers. Frank

Rob Parry
02-07-03, 12:30 PM
Hey bro...since you Marines is closer to France than us, why don't you get a group o yer bro's together and go over and B!tch slap a few o them limp wristed Frenchies around for awhile for me....they're puttin a damper on Dubya's efforts to go into Iraq and open up a can o whup azz @!!!!! Just thought ya might like to have a lil fun !!!! Have a good un !!!

Dear Dane, your invitation to visit the near continent, converse with the natives, employing physical persuasion as a means of converting their theories about our mutual friend in the desert is interesting. We will have to place it before a planning committee, which will itself forward any documentary evidence to a sub-committee, and perhaps even a focus group. After 18 months the focus group will return to the negotiating table to report nil progress. The sub and full committee will then ask for confimation of this impasse and further suggest a protracted period of dithering, resulting in a confused military and a smarmy bunch of politicians and time wasters claiming huge sums in expenses. I remain Sir, your servant Dr Pepper.

Y'all wanna gather yor buddies an git over here soon soaswe kin git themthar kermits onside, then nip over the Rhine and repeat the process? Dubya; don't you get mud on those new jeans now!:)

usmc85204
02-07-03, 12:51 PM
I joined the Marines in '66 I served 3 years active and 3 years in the reserves. Then I was issued a form that said I had honorably discharged my active and reserve obligation to the corp. It said nothing about no longer being a Marine. I am no ex, former, or used to be. I am a Marine and will be unto the grave.... Semper Fi is not a phrase it is a way of life..

Super Dave
02-07-03, 01:27 PM
I earned the title Marine November 18, 1982 and will have it always. My daughter is scheduled to earn the title March 7, 2003. I have told her in the letters I write her; once she earns the title she is "kin" to all Marines that have ever earned the title. We always seek/find other Marines to swap stories with and can talk for hours when we do. It by far is the greatest title anyone can ever earn...

Semper Fi..
:marine:

Rob Parry
02-07-03, 02:57 PM
Dave, your comment about your daughter and family caused me to copy this from one of my postings on our website.
My little girl was on weekend leave just after joining HMS Raleigh, she explained that she was the class leader and it was her responsibility on the following Monday AM to report the class to the Colour Sgt Booty drill instructor. The class had been told in no uncertain terms to address him as Colour Sgt and nothing else, so I smiled at the brat and said, "You are family, take a deep breath and call him "Colours" she was worried, but I said she'd be ok. So on the Monday she fell the class in at open order presented them to the Booty and said quaking in her boots, "Class at open order ready for inspection Colours" Apparently there was a big intake of breath from the assembled Gunnery Instructors, but Royal just leant forward and asked, 'Your dad a Bootneck?' "Yes Colours". Royal peers at rest of class over her shoulder and bellows, "She can call me Colours, you lot will address me as Colour Sgt".
Advance 6 years
Yesterday during her promotion course she was taking the class for drill, the Bootneck Stripey wandered up and said, "Well done, a little nervous at first but then you got a grip of them, who taught you that?"
"My Dad Sgt., he was a booty" Make you cry wouldn't it.

Super Dave
02-07-03, 03:28 PM
Thanks...was good reading.
I'm looking forward to the day I can finally call my daughter Marine!

FREDDY
02-07-03, 06:57 PM
We few We happy few We band of Brothers
Semper fi
Bro's

JChristin
02-08-03, 01:46 AM
I am a Marine. Period. End of Statement.

Anyone cares to try to delute that title will do so at loss of their life. I will stand up to any a$$hole who belives I am anything other than a Marine. I am a ex-wife, praise be to God! But even I can't take away that title I earned at Parris Island, South Carolina. Can't figure why anyone would want to divorce the Marine Corps by denying their title. Oh, maybe a few who turned commie on us. But then we can introduce them to good ol'Earle!

Time for this Marine to get some shut eye. Gotta hit the rack and have a devil dog dream.

Semper Fi
JChristin

Earle Comstock
02-08-03, 04:24 AM
Damn girl , guess I really hurt your feelings . How many times do I gotta say I'm sorry ? How many times did you make your ex-husband say I'm sorry ? Did you ever stop to think that maybe he got tired of it . Never once did I say that there should not be women in the Marine Corps . Go ahead , check my posts , all of them . And yes I would Kill A Commie For MY Mommy .
By the way , I will pray for you to do well on your test .
Good Luck Marine

greybeard
02-08-03, 09:38 AM
Heh Heh--Earl, she's got your coordinates & ain't gonna let up. You can print all the old adages ya want at the bottom of your post-but you forgot the one that carries the most weight & we guys should remember it to our graves.

"Hell hath no fury like a woman (Marine) scorned"

It's so good to see somebody else on the recieving end instead of me. Ha HA!!! Hey Earl---------INCOMMING!!!! :)

GIT im JC, don't let up!!!!!!! Jab!! Jab!! Punch-OoooooRaaaahhh!!!

(Earl-better head on over to that Blue Mtn site & try sendin one of those e-cards-you stepped in it now) lol

Earle Comstock
02-08-03, 12:27 PM
Its Earle Daammit , how would you like me to call you gaybeard. She can keep it coming if she wants , I know her little feelings got hurt , and I have just as much if not more ammo than herself . Besides , its fun and you guys need a chuckle every once in awhile .
Its 10:26 pacific time I have already said my prayer for her to do well on her test .
Hope she flunks !:D

Rob Parry
02-08-03, 02:55 PM
Earle, just read about your Hog getting dusted, sorry to hear it; but NOW I understand the aggro! (aggression) Hope the bike is fixable.

lurchenstein
02-08-03, 03:16 PM
You kickin' sh*t around again Earle? Brought something for your afternoon RECON (don't know the rider). Drinks all around.
Semper Fi.

greybeard
02-08-03, 05:43 PM
You can call me what you want-as long as you don't call me late for dinner. Earle-with 2 'e's. I got it now. Nothin wrong with a few laffs either--Earle
Don

Earle Comstock
02-08-03, 06:10 PM
Everybody leaves off that 2nd E . But without it , it's not me . Glad you took it in the spirit intended , not like some of the others in here . Yea , I'm talking to you JChristin . So how'd you do on your test ? Hope it went well , and even though I'm an as shole , I still said a prayer for you to do well .
Thanks for the pic , there Lurchenstein . Although that looks like an Army model . Think ours were painted a little differently . Have to do some checking , not for sure .
Was out riding this a.m. , found out I'm ready for a new rear tire soon . She sure runs good , just don't look all that great .
Took my friend (yes I have a friend) to the Harley shop this morning to put his money down on a new Harley Low Rider , with the Anniversary Gold Package . It sure is a nice looking bike .
He wants me to ride it home for him when he picks it up . I told him "Fvck You" you ride your own bike . You don't let someone elses as s on your bike the first time . Go get your permit and I'll ride home with you . He just has to have a licensed rider with him . Told him the only problem with that is I don't like riding my bike that slow . He says , just hope you can keep up .
And to you Mr. Parry thanks for the concern .

lurchenstein
02-09-03, 12:04 AM
Probably is (white star makes a great moving target. Take it to Motor-T & get it repainted Marine Green. (I've known a few people that restored Harley Knuckleheads.) Glad to hear you & your bike are roadworthy again.
Semper Fi & Best Regards

Earle Comstock
02-09-03, 12:07 AM
Thank you very much SSgt., just went and put her on the charger . It gets cold here in the mornin and that oils like molasses .

JChristin
02-09-03, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by Earle Comstock
Everybody leaves off that 2nd E . But without it , it's not me . Glad you took it in the spirit intended , not like some of the others in here . Yea , I'm talking to you JChristin . So how'd you do on your test ? Hope it went well , and even though I'm an as shole , I still said a prayer for you to do well .

Hey Earle our special Marine Pearl, the ex-hubby is still sorry (I make damn good sure of that!). He's married to some sweet little thing from the Army (actually, she is a very nice lady - but why the Army? go -figure). A man who crosses this WM is best served keeping his legs crossed; wearing protective head gear on top and down below, crawling on the ground when moving from one point to the next, and praying to the great Creator of the Universe that my Starbucks Coffee Mocha doesn't run out before they think they have escaped my spiritual presence.

Thanks for the prayer. I sure hope your connection to the Almighty is a strong one. Over 400 people showed up to take the test. It started at 0900 and I finished at 1530. Can't believe some of the questions asked. One question asked, "Have you ever felt like hitting someone?" Uhmmm, it didn't ask when, like within the last hour, day, month, year, or some previous lifetime. If it had asked that, then all the above would apply.

But hey my little Earle the Pearl, thanks for thinking about me and saying a prayer, and everyone else who may of thought of a prayer on my behalf. I truly believe that the Power of God goes deep. Thank you. My prayer for you is that your life will be full of grace, happiness and joy, with a JChristin like person always keeping you all standing on line! OOOH RAH!!

This Devil Dog is tuckered out

Semper Fi
JChristin

JChristin
02-09-03, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by greybeard
Heh Heh--Earl, she's got your coordinates & ain't gonna let up. You can print all the old adages ya want at the bottom of your post-but you forgot the one that carries the most weight & we guys should remember it to our graves.

"Hell hath no fury like a woman (Marine) scorned"

GIT im JC, don't let up!!!!!!! Jab!! Jab!! Punch-OoooooRaaaahhh!!!

Oh, Earle the Pearl can't get under this WM's skin. The Almighty saw fit that he needed to keep his puppies, the Devil Dogs, well trainned and ready. So he gave them competition by adding women into the Marine Corps. We've kept you boys on your hind legs ever since, especially Earle. But he is a honest Marine - that I will give him. He is honest about how he feels. He has a way of growing on ya I think.

Semper fi
JChristin

firstsgtmike
02-09-03, 06:33 AM
This comment has NOTHING to do with the on-going dialogue between Earle and J Christian.

But when I hear that someone or something has a way of growing on you, my immediate (unthinking) response is; "Yes, just like the creeping, crawling crud."

Sometimes the comment fits, sometimes it doesn't.

SheWolf
03-07-03, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by saul ramirez
It seems today marines are spoiled on somone like you and i who have endured the old school marine days that seem obsolite. i belive that todays marine will respond with the same honor and courage that we had displayed in our day will take the honor of the USMC to new height. as you and i should know even cowards sometimes disguse themselves as Marines.

Semper Fi

I think all the branches are facing the issue of the 9-5 soldier, sailor, etc etc,,, even back 10 years ago,,,, "I can't have duty tonight, I have class",,, "that's not faiiiirrrr",,, "what do you mean, I have to stay two more hours,, I've done my 8"...:cry: :confused: :mad:

wrbones
03-07-03, 08:12 AM
hell, I was doin 16 and more a day, often 7 days a week.

Barrio_rat
03-07-03, 06:23 PM
In all honesty, the Wing was a bit different (yeah yeah yeah - I know where those comments can go) but the mission was different too. If there was a job to do - a mission to be completed, then we stayed as long as we had to, to get it done. There was always some griping. Sometimes we'd get recognition, sometimes we wouldn't. Nature of the beast. When I got out, I still had a few 72's owed to me - yes owed, as they were promised by my Top's or OIC's. A general once gave us all (who had been on deployment) a 96, when we got to the shop to turn in our gear, our OIC turned it into a 72, said we could have two of 'em. I never saw the second. One Saturday morning (after a very late Friday) I was woke up because the Sgt in the barracks could not find the duty section personel, so they rounded up who they could find and we proceeded to go to the armory to clean M-16's all day. On ship, it was 12 on, 12 off, 7 days a week. Course, we made up for it in the PI, Hong Kong, Korea.. etc. Sometimes, our OIC would keep us after hours over BS, and that's when the real griping began. We did our job, it's Friday, it's the end of the work day... let us go ... I think that's where you see a difference. I still say, if there's a mission that needs to be completed, griping aside, Marines (for the most part) will step up and do what they have to, for as long as they have to.

leroy8541
03-07-03, 07:46 PM
If a Marine ain't griping about everything, then you need to send them to sick bay cause theres something really bad wrong with them.

JChristin
03-07-03, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by firstsgtmike
This comment has NOTHING to do with the on-going dialogue between Earle and J Christian.

But when I hear that someone or something has a way of growing on you, my immediate (unthinking) response is; "Yes, just like the creeping, crawling crud."

Sometimes the comment fits, sometimes it doesn't.

I miss my good bud Earle too! If one thing I learned in the Corps and that was to hold my own. I enjoy the banter. Do it all the time in the "real" world of business.

Seriously, Earle can hold his own and he does it rather well. I wouldn't say that if it wasn't so. He doesn't shy down from a time of challenge. Conflict doesn't bother him. Dialogue is part of the process of conflict resolution. He can handle it. He's all Marine. He didn't treat me any differently than he would any other Marine. He didn't treat me like some fragile little "pretty" thing (thank you Earle). I got enough of that growing up. He earned my respect. I tip my cover to him.

So...:devious:

semper fi
jchristin

Earle Comstock
03-07-03, 08:20 PM
Well thanks there bud , I guess you were the only one who didn't take offense to me . I was just tellin my feelings in the only way I know how , (the Marine Corp way ) . Those that couldnt handle it should go put on their dresses . This is the Marine Corp , is it not ?
You were right JC , I treated you no differently than any other Marine , and you took every thing I had to throw and wanted more . Those other squat to pee mo-fo's were sitting in the corner soiling their panties . My cover is tipped to you as well .

I AM A MARINE , AND I HAVE BEEN ONE SINCE SEPTEMBER 14, 1977 !

I keep checkin in daily , just have some serious business to attend to . I'll be back , like a bad case of the crabs .

SheWolf
03-07-03, 10:00 PM
[Friday, it's the end of the work day... let us go ... I think that's where you see a difference. I still say, if there's a mission that needs to be completed, griping aside, Marines (for the most part) will step up and do what they have to, for as long as they have to. [/B][/QUOTE]

our mission was a 24hr/365 day a year mission, really no such thing as a weekend,,, we worked rotating shifts, days/swings/mids etc,,,

Barrio_rat
03-10-03, 10:22 AM
Amazing what can be done with statements taken out of context...

MillRatUSMC
03-10-03, 11:57 AM
http://www.ellsberg.net/gallery/images/marine1.jpg

What's might be our thoughts on this Marine?

Some sites list him as a "former Marine" while others list him as an "ex-Marine".

Was he a traitor or a patroit?

Hint think the "Pentagon Papers".

I been searching for info on his Marine Corps service.
Found that he was a company commander in the 50's but it doesn't list an unit.
He states in another photo that he almost washed out of OCS or was it OCC which might translate to Officer Canidate Course.
He has a saying that he states that his father taught him;

"And the truth, shall set thee free".
Now what might the truth be?

Is he now a Marine or "A Former Marine or ex-Marine"?

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

MillRatUSMC
03-10-03, 12:01 PM
On another page I found he states;
"If I had became an infantry company commander in the 2nd Marine Division.
I might have stayed for as long as possible."

"And the truth shall set thee free."
Isn't this the motto of a three letter agency?

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

Roberto T. Cast
03-10-03, 01:03 PM
I for one don't care what an outgoing CMC said last year. He may applies it only to his new breed of Marines, if such title exist. Veterans Marine is he, not me. We, Vietnam Veterans, are from the old Corps (school), where if you **** up, you were taken care off at night in the DI's hut. After that, no more **** ups. That is if you learn your lesson. Otherwise you were sent to a platoon that had the **** ups. Now a days, they have the Baby Blue Marines, those who can hack it and they let them out of basic training because the DIs can't touch them.

On above point, lies the difference between us and them. The training is just as hard and the brainwashing is almost the same. Hell, veteran Marine is for the birds. We are MARINES until the day we go and GUARD the STREETS of HEAVEN.

I agree with the mother, MD, PHD and the cock sucker's statements.

I am a MARINE Vietnam veteran, but never a Veteran MARINE.

Let it be known, I am not picking on anybody. I am just putting my two (2) cents worth.
I was going to stay out of this one, but I couldn't.

ONCE A MARINE - ALWAYS A MARINE. :marine::marine:

Sgt Sostand
03-10-03, 02:16 PM
for me-Once a Marine-Always a Marine? is true for me well i might be a little crazy cuz i have a squad Bay in the house on one side
my kids have learn to respect Marines from the day they where born i think most people have lost respect for people who go and fight but i havent and i never will i live with everyday i think about my friends that did not come home. my Soul is lost with them .

nine90frog
03-13-03, 03:13 PM
Back in the 1980's a large University in Florida did some research. They were trying to find out how long it took to get used to the civilian life after spending four years in the service. They intervied numerous members of the four barches of the service. (They did not look at the shallow water sailors). If you were in the Air Force in took just a few days. The Army took six weeks, and the Navy, due to shipboard life six months. If you were in the Corp, you will always be there in heart and soul.

Semper Fi.

thedrifter
03-13-03, 03:23 PM
nine90frog

Welcome Aboard to the Best Marine Site on the net. Also welcome to your home away from home................
We have a great crew of Marines in here from WW II to the present............
Throw your sea bag in a corner, pull up a footlocker, sit and chat awhile.........Get a chance stop over at the Slope Chute, Gary and I will buy you a few drinks........But watch out for Chesty.......likes his beer, only dog I found could open a beer can........LOL

"AGAIN WELCOME ABOARD."

Sempers,

Roger