PDA

View Full Version : Junk on the Bunk

greensideout
01-18-03, 05:05 PM
When is the last time this site held an inspection?

Where is your basic issue now?
Is it growing mold, become a rat's nest or worse, did the little lady around the house sell it all at a garage sale?

Marines, it's time to drag out the sea bag and lay it out.

mardet65
01-18-03, 05:20 PM
Greenside:
Great picture but you bring back horrifying memories...I'm not sure I'll be able to sleep tonight! Did you get my memo re: your signature?

fabboss
01-18-03, 07:14 PM
oh yes more of the night mares, thats all i need lol, remember one solid week of THINGS ON THE SPRINGS and all because of the marking position of the names on the socks or so the skipper said, but the best one was when the inspector picked up a pair of tropial trousers and told the PFC to put them on, when the PFC dropped his trouser's he was wearing boxers with little red green and yellow hearts all over them don't think he ever lived it down, i know the 1st shirt remembered him when details no one wanted came up....

SHOOTER1
01-18-03, 08:43 PM
greensideout, admit it , you dont really have that gear still banging around , ive worn all mine out many times over, cept the oxfords, never could wear low cuts, but mine still have a spit shine, as for my utes, i go thru about two pair a year, i wear them to work every day, mess kit and canteen, i use for camping, cept the canteen is now worth enough to sell as an antique,its dated 1944, all my camping gear is issue, my sleeping bag is a brand new (was) Korean War Issue Casuality Bag, 7ft x4ft, 17 lbs of down and feathers, and the hood is trimmed with real wolf fur, so it wont freeze from you breath, ive slept outside in the snow, and had to open it every now and then because it was to hot.

MillRatUSMC
01-18-03, 09:00 PM
What a great day!, I wanted to make a new tread on "Marine Speak"...some might say "Things on the springs" while others might say "Junk on the bunk"
Now for my tread on "Marine Speak";

From a E-Mail that a dear friend send me;

It reminded me that about two weeks ago one of the posters used the term "Stack AND swivel" instead of "Stacking Swivel" which you and I both know is the swivel above the upper sling swivel used for stacking arms with the M-1 and M-14.
At any rate you may want to add it since it also means the neck. ie "I'll grab you by your stacking swivel, Boy, and unscrew your head and hand it to you." which is still in use today.
Other terms that were*in used*in my day*are;
Drink was called "Panther Pi$$";
Boondockers were work shoes;
"Green/Brown side out", for a change in the official word;
"Rope Yarn Sunday" was Company Commanders time,
we could be doing anything and everything,
but usually we were engaged in"Organized*Grabass".;*
Dungaries/utilities were the fore runner of cammies.
Given enough time I could probably come up with more.

Since then I've done some research, he made a small mistake on the M-14, it has no stacking swivel.
Now a question to all the "Old Salts";
How many U.S rifles had a stacking swivel other than the M-1?

That E-Mail was to a page of "Marine Speak" that I made.
There so much to learn.
Much come from everyday use.
Just like the use of EGA, it means no disrespect just like the use of MEU.
Which we all know stands for Marine Expeditionary Unit.
Some say that EGA is the "Emblem".
But really it should read Marine Corps Emblem, than it could also be U.S Marine Corps Emblem.

Words in English change over time, so do words in Marine Speak.
Do we lose tradition?
IMHO NO
The Marine Corps is a living tradition from one generation to another.
Does the present generation owe to generations preceeding it?
It is indebted but not subject to be governed by those generations before it.
It changes just like the change of cammies recently.
But the Marine Corps lives on as long as Men and Women answer the call.

Do I have nightmares on "Things on the springs" or "Junk on the bunk"?
No, just all the time spented getting ready, so some officer could walk in an take a look.
Leaving the inspecting to some of his staff.
A total waste of time, but it did keep you on your toes.

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

firstsgtmike
01-18-03, 09:07 PM
I remember.

A things on the springs for the Regimental CO. I was Plt. Sgt. As usual, the troops spent a week getting ready, laid out the display, and slept on the floor. Some didn't sleep at all, but spent the night spitshining, ironing, and polishing.

The inspection party was running late, an Aide pointed to his watch, The CO nodded, looked into the squadbay, "Excellent, Excellent", turned around and LEFT the area.

I was SPEECHLESS. I was FUMING. I was so MAD I had tears in my eyes. I ran after the Colonel.

Colonel SIR, these kids spent an entire week working their asses off for you SIR. The least YOU could do Sir, is to give them more than fifteen seconds of your time. SIR.

The Colonel told his Aide to cancel lunch. He then held the most chicken ****, nit picking inspection I had ever seen.

When he finished, he said, "I was wrong. This is NOT excellent, this is OUT****INGSTANDING!

(I almost wet my pants because I didn't know WHAT was going to happen.)

He ordered 96 hour passes for everyone. When the shouts of approval quited down, he turned to me and said, Sgt. Farrell, I want to thank you for reminding me, sometimes we forget. Thank you."

Looking back over my active duty, I don't remember ever working for an *******. Maybe I was just lucky.

Semper Fi

Barrio_rat
01-19-03, 12:31 AM
You were just lucky. LOL

greensideout
01-19-03, 12:51 PM
MillRatUSMC,

U.S. rifles with stacking swivels:
Springfield .45-70
U.S. Krag
1903 Springfield
U.S. Enfield
M1 Garand

The Johnson Mod. 1941 lost out in competition to the M1 Garand for many reasons, but I note; It had no stacking swivel!
It was used by other governments however.

Shooter1,

Yes, I still have most all my gear in that old sea bag! Could stand inspection today---except the waist line may not be buttoned. lol
I have thought about selling it on EBAY, but what if I'm called back into active duty! Hope they recognize the uniform. Brown low quarters with brown socks, etc. LOL

Semper Fi

SHOOTER1
01-19-03, 08:06 PM
Now thats what i call Hard Corps, I salute you greensideout, on the stacking swivals, is my memory gitting the best of me, im sure i remember stacking the M-14 by the stacking swival, i beleive our Plts. were the first to be issued the M-14, as M-1 were givin to us, and before we went to the range, we were issued M-14, as i say, it could be my memory, dont say it bones.

wrbones
01-19-03, 09:00 PM
What! LOL. I wasn't gonna say a thing! LOL.

You guys are OLD CORPS!

LMAO.

We stacked the M-16's when I was in. No swivel, though!

Barndog
01-20-03, 04:14 AM
Heck no. Didn't we stack them by the front sight post?

Barndog
01-20-03, 04:30 AM
Hey Top Farrell.......

I DID work for a few *******s.. Grade A USDA PRIME *******s. You read alot, and I kinda suspect you would take a good poke at 'determining my character'.
I also worked for some of the finest Marines ever known. And (ugh) in the Guard - some of the finest Army Aviation people known.
I am a Grunt first, and probally through and through is my primary character defect. Hard corps. I don't care. If you say it doesn't move, I'll destroy it. The sole purpose of every Marine is agressive, close, offensive combat. PERIOD. Now I look back and say I don't regret a minute of that.

Maybe I should talk to them Raelian morons. I need to clone myself. One Grunt. One Helo Mech. If the paperwork in the Corps is still as SNAFU as per SOP, then forget it.

That broad is too weird.

Sparrowhawk
01-20-03, 07:48 AM
My dog tags

Geneva Conventions Identification Card (never knwo when you might need it),

my worn and torn combat boots from nam, black leather and jungle pair

My diary from Nam

two heat tabs in their original packages

Lots of propaganda leaflets from nam (left on the trail for us to find by the VC/NVA, it was sort of like their JW job to do that)

The medal plate with name and stuff on it that was kept in what ever command we were with in our original military orders package

That's about it, oh, a a soft cover and one tie. Ex-wife still has all my uniforms, etc. Don't know what else military gear she has of mine.

mardet65
01-20-03, 01:36 PM
I've still got my original dogtags and cap & coller emblems issued in bootcamp as well as the original shooting badge ( M-14 Marksman) I received at Parris Island. Come to think of it, I remember stacking the M-14 but don't recall a stacking swivel or not.

USMC0311
01-20-03, 02:10 PM
I got nuthin form original issue of anything Marine Corps <br />
<br />
Little Brothers got the Uniforms, except the Blues I was issued. I gave the Blues to a Marine when I was discharged dec68 . <br />
<br />
Dog Tags...

Sparrowhawk
01-20-03, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by USMC0311
I got nuthin form original issue of anything Marine Corps

...Dog Tags were shot off when I got a round in the face that hit my neck and tore the tags off...I sure wish I had my tags. maybe some day they will be on e-Bay...

Humm, I've always wanted to go back with one of those medal detectors, and look for things I left behind.

I buried a can of peaches and a can of pound cake I took from a new c-rat box before my gun team leader knew it. Buried it near Charlie's Ridge, north of Hill 65 and we had to move out, before I recovered them but Im sure we can find the spot, I have a grid map of the area.

Maybe we can go looking for your dog tags and if we police up all the brass we shot up, we can retire wealthy men.

You're right, they may one day show up on e-bay.

USMC-FO
01-20-03, 02:54 PM
I still have my orginal dog tags, my rifle Sharpshooter badge and pistol expert, my K-Bar that I secreted back to the states, and some shrapnel shards and lastly a near perfect .50 cal slug that I found in the field where it must have dropped from shear exhustion. Utilities and uniforms are long gone, would not fit anyway.

greensideout
01-20-03, 04:16 PM
Stacking swivel on the M-14?

I don't know if it ever had one, some of you seem to remember that it did. What I do know is that the M-14 required modification after being issued to the Corps.

Why? The Marines kept breaking them!

Whenever the Marines would use it to vault other Marines over high obstacles it would bust in half. (The M-1 worked well with this exercize.)

The result was that modification had to be done to withstand the use by the Marine Corps.

The stacking swivel may have gone by the wayside when this was done. Don't know, maybe someone here can help us on that.

Interesting though, the Army had them long before the Marines. What did they use to go over high obstacles, a step ladder?

Semper Fi

lurchenstein
01-22-03, 12:21 AM
Looks like a page out of Guidebook for Marines. It's impressive if your gear looks that squared away (most of mine is still in the seabag, blues on a hanger).
Semper Fi to you all (Draftees & Volunteers).

greensideout
01-22-03, 05:53 PM
lurchenstein,

You're right! It is a page from the guidebook.

My gear is still in the bag too, properly folded, insideout with name showing.

I enjoyed reading about the things that others have. It's kind of nice to hold something in your hand that was a part of your life as an active duty Marine. It stirs the memories.

Semper Fi

USMC0311
01-22-03, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by greensideout
lurchenstein,

You're right! It is a page from the guidebook.

My gear is still in the bag too, properly folded, insideout with name showing.

I enjoyed reading about the things that others have. It's kind of nice to hold something in your hand that was a part of your life as an active duty Marine. It stirs the memories.

Semper Fi

Hey Marine...Do You have a pair of Boondokers?..I got 0ne of the last pairs at Diego 65. They were the most comfortable boots I ever wore.

greensideout
01-22-03, 07:19 PM
USMC0311,

No, wore them out. The ones I had were ruff-out and required no polish. Comfortable they were!

Semper Fi

donaldduct
01-23-03, 07:32 AM
Junk on the bunk
We were doing a Junk on the bunk for a IG inspection on a Monday, No liberty for the Easter weekend, everyone and his brother keep inspecting us. We are standing by for the real thing when a Marine who was smarter then the average bear said **** this,grabed all his **** off the rack threw it in his locker, rolled his mattrest up and walked out the door The great thing was he got away with it,no one missed him.

Semper Fi