PDA

View Full Version : Nco sword?

futureMarine418
10-13-06, 12:50 AM
I posted this question but then i found the answer on my own and i couldnt figure out how to delete it. Sorry for the inconvienance.

yellowwing
10-13-06, 12:59 AM
It might be beneficial if you let the other poolees know what you have learned.

The NCO Sword is an outstanding topic. :thumbup:

futureMarine418
10-13-06, 01:09 AM
what i learned about the sword is....( i feel like im writing a paper for school )
Noncommissioned officers of the Marine Corps hold the distinction of being the only NCOs in any branch of the regular United States Armed Forces who still have the honor of carrying a commissioned officer's weapon. The NCO sword is one of the oldest U.S. weapons (second only to the Mameluke sword) still in use today. The sword still being issued today to noncommissioned officers was originally adopted by the War Department as the sword for foot officers of the infantry. In 1859, commissioned officers of the Marines adopted that same sword finding it more serviceable than the lighter Mameluke type saber adopted after the young nation sent forces to battle the Bey of Tripoli. Following the rapid developments in the repeating rifle after the Civil War, the sword became an encumbrance in the field and more the symbol of military tradition than a weapon.
The sword has not changed much from the original. The fishskin covered handle has been replaced with leather covered wood with brass wire, and the letters "U.S.M.C." etched on the reverse side have been replaced by "United States Marines". The blade is government spec stainless steel with a brass hilt and pommel with full length tang. The scabbard is metal covered in black leather with a brass throat and tip.

futureMarine418
10-13-06, 01:17 AM
Hilt- handle of a sword
Tang- long slender projecting strip
Pommel- i have no idea! I think it might be the knob on the end of the handle but im not sure

futureMarine418
10-13-06, 01:20 AM
http://www.militarysabers.com/images/88-302-marine-nco-hi.jpg
This is the best pitchure I could find.

http://www.militarysabers.com/images/88-302-marine-nco-detail-hi.jpg

<!-- #EndEditable -->

yellowwing
10-13-06, 01:32 AM
And WHY are only Marine NCOs authorized to carry the sword, and not Army Corporals?

futureMarine418
10-13-06, 01:33 AM
i really have no idea!

yellowwing
10-13-06, 01:38 AM
Outstanding job Shawn. Keep digging when you have the chance. :thumbup:

jinelson
10-13-06, 10:12 AM
Quote by Yellowwing - "And WHY are only Marine NCOs authorized to carry the sword, and not Army Corporals?"

Hint - the answer can be found by searching the forum archieves here.

ggyoung
10-13-06, 01:24 PM
The mameluke soard is older than the NCO soard. But the NCO soard is the longest runing soard. The Mameluke was put away for a few years and then brought back.

futureMarine418
10-16-06, 01:21 PM
And WHY are only Marine NCOs authorized to carry the sword, and not Army Corporals?

I looked every where to find the answer but i couldnt so can you just tell me why.
The only thing i can think of is the sword was officaly adopted by the 7th commandaunt of the Marine Corps.

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-16-06, 04:48 PM
Its on the site, don't expect other people to do your work for you.

yellowwing
10-16-06, 04:56 PM
Accord knows!