PDA

View Full Version : New medal for Korea vets could take a year

thedrifter
01-18-03, 11:48 AM
By T.D. Flack, Stars and Stripes
Pacific edition, Saturday, January 18, 2003

Defense Department officials say it could take about a year to design, fund and issue a new medal for troops who served in South Korea after the war.

The Korea Defense Service Medal — authorized in the 2003 Defense Authorization Act — will be issued to servicemembers who completed tours of duty in South Korea, or adjacent waters, after July 28, 1954, when the military stopped issuing the Korea War Service Medal.

The medal was authorized after former soldier John Maclean told Congressman Elton Gallegly (R-Calif.) he was fed up with years of “lack of recognition and respect” for the time he spent in South Korea.

Maclean is among hundreds of thousands of U.S. troops who served in Korea since the mid-1950s. He was there from 1959 to 1960, patrolling the Demilitarized Zone, setting ambushes and staffing listening posts.

Like the 37,000 troops serving here now, he lived in the shadow of one of the world’s largest armies, under what the military considers hardship duty.

There have been 40,000 reported armistice breaches since 1953, according to U.S. Forces Korea. And more than 1,200 servicemembers have died on peacetime duty, including two U.S. soldiers killed by axe-wielding North Koreans in 1976.

According to a news release, the sheer number of anticipated recipients makes it difficult to estimate how long it’ll take to identify, notify and award the KDSM.

“We were the forgotten warriors of the forgotten war,” Maclean told Stars and Stripes. “We deserve this $1.50 medal.”

Sempers,

Roger

thedrifter
01-22-03, 06:42 AM
Update on Korean Def Service medal... links to all services on awards & decorations.. good site to bookmark

https://www.perscomonline.army.mil/tagd/awards/

Updated Dec 17, 2002: The Department highly values the service of our Korean War veterans and appreciates the desire of Congress to further recognize their service. We are currently reviewing the best means to expeditiously award the Korean Defense Service Medal as provided for in Fiscal Year 2003 National Defense Authorization Act. Some of the actions which must be completed are designing the medal, obtaining necessary funding, developing policy for issuance and wear, and processing (to include verification of service) award of the medal. The first three actions should be completed in approximately 4 - 6 months.

Given the shear volume of anticipated recipients, the expected time when one can expect to be awarded the Korean Defense Service Medal is difficult to estimate because of how long it will take to identify, notify and award the medal to eligible former service members. The Department's previous experiences when creating Service Medals is the entire process can be up to a year.
Welcome
Welcome to U.S. Army Total Personnel Command, Military Awards Branch Home Page. The purpose of this site is to provide information on the Army awards and decorations program and its related subject areas.

Mission: To provide quality personnel service, support, and administration of the Army awards program which enhances mission accomplishment by recognizing soldiers for excellence and motivating them to high levels of performance and service.

Awards and Decorations:
General Information and Related Documents
Publication Reference Index
Award Stats Operation Enduring Freedom
Historical Perspective on Numbers of Individual Awards and Decorations
Awards Issued Since the Cold War
Humanitarian Service Medal Operations Approved Since Publication of AR 600-8-22, February 1995
Cold War Recognition Program

Sempers,

Roger

United We Stand
God Bless America

Remember our POW/MIA's
I'll never forget!

Lock-n-Load
01-22-03, 07:04 AM
I rate this KSDM Medal and as far as I am concerned they can stuff it...all the crap in Seoul [forget NKorea] with recent demonstrations for ..."Yankee Go Home"...I'm all for it...the war generation Koreans are letting the younger "educated generation" of INGRATES...to cloud their mindsets that South Korea is now strong enough to protect themselves from the Communists across the 38th parallel...so be it...withdrawn the entire US Army's 2nd Division and that's all Kim needs...if we lose Korea [which USA bled for] Japan is next...Red Korea and Red China have scores to settle with the olde Japanese Guard...the Pacific will be scuttled but good in the future world...nope, I DON"T want Korea's Medals anymore...our valiant crusade to liberate South Korea was in vain...if the USA gets kicked out of South Korea by South Koreans....just like that shlt-kicker ballard sounds, "You Can Take This Medal And Shove It"..I say again, I rate this new Medal, but I don't have to wear it!!!:chinese: :chinese:LtG