PDA

View Full Version : Support for troops supersedes views

thedrifter
10-12-06, 07:30 AM
Support for troops supersedes views

By BRANDON GRESHAM / News Editor (Updated: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 9:06 PM CDT)

Brandon Gresham

“Keep me loyal and faithful to my superiors and to the duties my country and the Marine Corps have entrusted to me. Make me considerate of those committed to my leadership. Help me wear my uniform with dignity, and let it remind me daily of the traditions which I must uphold. If I am inclined to doubt, steady my faith; if I am tempted, make me strong to resist; if I should miss the mark, give me the courage to try again.”

Those are the final words of the United States Marine Corps’ Marine’s prayer.

I heard this prayer while attending the funeral of my cousin Justin D. Peterson, who was killed on Oct. 1 in Iraq serving as a captain in the Marines.

At age 32, Justin had a great family and a great life.

He recently married his longtime girlfriend Patty in 2002, and saw the birth of his third child only two days before being deployed to the Middle East earlier this year.

Thousands of people attended his viewing, memorial service and burial over the past weekend in Michigan, paying tribute and honoring one of our country's servants who gave his life for us.

As I sat through speech after speech that highlighted how dedicated Justin was to his fellow Marines, the Corps and his family at home, I couldn’t help but beam with pride for my relation to this great man.

He left behind three kids, a wife and a promising future, but he gave us a great lesson in his passing.

It doesn’t matter if you believe in this war. It doesn’t matter if you support our president. While every citizen of this nation has the right to criticize our country’s politics, no American, on any circumstances, has the right to criticize our service men and women.

Their commitment and sacrifice should humble us all.

Justin Peterson lived out every part of the Marine’s prayer. He was a godly man who put his family, fellow officers and country before himself.

We can criticize the decisions that lead us in to the Middle East. But we can do nothing but honor and respect those who were sent there to represent us.

Flags across Michigan flew at half-mast yesterday to honor my cousin.

While his death took place far across the world and his burial took place 700 miles away, there is a lot that we here in Alabama can take away from his story.

Alabama has sent a large contingent of service men and women to the Middle East over the past few years.

You might not agree with this war or this president, but please don't disagree with the principles of our armed forces.

They’re sacrificing their lives to make sure we have the opportunity to voice our opinions.

Ellie