PDA

View Full Version : Deaths Of U.S. Troops Shown On Web

thedrifter
10-11-06, 06:16 PM
Deaths Of U.S. Troops Shown On Web
YouTube Pulls Some Clips Off Site

UPDATED: 10:22 am PDT October 11, 2006

SAN DIEGO -- The violence in Iraq is spilling onto the Internet, and it comes in the form of videos showing American troops being killed in action.

Some of the images are so graphic that popular Web site YouTube is pulling the plug on some of the videos.

Many of the videos were shot by insurgents in Iraq. In one video, for example, a bomb can be seen exploding under an American convoy traveling through Iraq. Everybody in that incident escapes injury, but in other videos, American troops were not so lucky. Some show Marines being killed by roadside bombs, and others show U.S. troops being struck by sniper fire and bleeding on the ground.

The videos were available for viewing on Internet sharing sites like YouTube and Google video.

"If it were my loved one, I wouldn't want to see somebody pass like that," Marine wife Dayna Grimes told NBC 7/39.

"What we see is what we keep inside of us," said Lance Cpl. Michael Armstrong. "It shouldn't be shown graphically to anyone else on the outside."

Negative reaction to the videos has prompted YouTube to remove dozens of graphic videos from its archives and suspend the accounts of some users who have been uploading videos to the site.

"As gruesome as it is, as damaging as it is, I think the American public should watch it," said retired Lt. Col Thomas Richards. "Why? Because they need to know what's going on over there."

Richards said the videos' removal may be a violation of First Amendment rights. He also said that with elections coming approaching, the videos need to be shown now, more than ever.

"I hope that people will vote to change the course of the war," said Richards. "I don't care if it's Republican or Democrat -- change the course of the war. If we don't, we're going to lose it."

Some YouTube users have reposted the videos on the Web site, reported NBC 7/39.

Ellie