PDA

View Full Version : Wounded Marine Suffers Setback

thedrifter
10-11-06, 02:15 PM
Wounded Marine Suffers Setback
Tuesday, October 10, 4:49 p.m.
By Jon Meyer

A Marine from Columbia County who was wounded while serving in the Middle East is still fighting for his life.

Lance Corporal Derrick Sharpe, 19, of Berwick was injured last month in Iraq.

His mother had to make the heart-wrenching choice Monday to have his leg amputated, or he wouldn't make it. Kimberly Sheets said it's the toughest decision she has had to make but she can't bear to lose her son.

LCpl Sharpe had only been in Iraq a few weeks in September when a roadside bomb went off while he was on patrol. Now, he's in critical condition at Bethesda Naval Hospital in Maryland.

Candles burn brightly inside Kimberly Sheets' living room in Berwick.and she said they will continue to do so until her son is healed.

Throughout the room there are reminders of the young Marine as he lies far away in a coma.

"It been unbelievable. When I heard the news I just couldn't believe it. It just wasn't happening to us," Sheets said.

She got the news two weeks ago. First she flew to Germany to see him. Now she's traveling back and forth to the hospital in Maryland.

"When I saw him he had a really big hole in his leg. All his muscles were showing. It didn't look like my son. It was really hard to believe," Sheets added.

The decision Sheets had to make Monday to allow doctors to amputate her son's leg was even harder.

"The hardest part was making the decision taking his leg. But if I didn't do that he wouldn't have survived. They gave him five days if I didn't give them permission to take his leg," added Sheets.

As she sat with her son's dog tag around her neck, Sheets shared his love of the Marines.

"He's wanted to join since he was 14. His grandfather and great-grandfather were in the Corps," Sheets said.

He even convinced his younger brother to sign up.

"I am so proud of my son. I feel like the proudest mother on Earth. He's an amazing kid he's always been very strong," his mother added.

Now as flags fly proudly outside her home she prays he finds the strength to push on and one day returns home.

"I just told him this is one more fight. One more hill you have to get over. Just keep fighting," Sheets urged.

LCpl Sharpe is battling infection through much of his body. This is a critical time for him and the family said all the prayers they can get will help.

Derrick was a 2005 graduate of Berwick High School.

Ellie