PDA

View Full Version : State man, killed in Iraq, chose Marines in 6th grade

thedrifter
10-11-06, 06:17 AM
State man, killed in Iraq, chose Marines in 6th grade
Wednesday, October 11, 2006
The Associated Press

PIKE ROAD - Brad Payne, an Alabama native who was killed last week in Iraq, knew from an early age that his future would include becoming a United States Marine.

"I made my mind up this summer," he wrote in a report in the sixth grade. "When I get out of high school, I'm going into the Marines."

The 24-year-old's dream came true, but it was cut short Friday when his convoy was hit by a roadside bomb in the Al Anbar Province in western Iraq.

His parents, W. Howard and Carol Payne of Pike Road, say the only solace in their son's death is knowing he was killed while living his dream.

"He pretty much shot for (the Marines) in the sixth grade," his father said. "That's what he wanted to do."

Howard Payne had just arrived home from his job at Baptist Health Systems when the doorbell rang Friday afternoon. At the door were three Marines and an Air Force chaplain with the news of Payne's death.

Those Marines have continued to coordinate plans with the Paynes and their son's wife of two years, Erin. The funeral arrangements have not been completed.

The Paynes said their son, who was based at Camp Lejeune in Jacksonville, N.C., had prepared them for the possibility of not returning from the war, outlining his wishes both in letters and in person.

"He was not naive about the outcome," Howard Payne told the Montgomery Advertiser in a story for Tuesday's editions. "He knew his purpose of going over there and that it was dangerous."

Photos of the couple's middle child are now spread over tables in their sunny living room, which overlooks the lake and dock where their son spent countless hours with a fishing rod and tackle box.

The photos depict Brad Payne - a NASCAR, country music and Auburn University fan - as a smiling baby, baseball player, graduate, happy groom and as a Marine.

The sixth-grade report now has been placed in a frame - the last sentence a reminder to his parents and his sisters, Katherine and Sharon, of what their son and brother died doing:

"I can't wait until the day comes when I go in the Marines."

Ellie