PDA

View Full Version : Constitution Class -- Long but worth it.

Kildars
10-10-06, 07:56 PM
Accord, I encourage you to watch this, this is a free class similar to the class I paid for in college.. It's long but it hooks you.

Michael Badnarik - Constitution Class 1 of 7 (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8321747074978323622)
Michael Badnarik - Constitution Class 2 of 7 (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4870224407360952135)
Michael Badnarik - Constitution Class 3 of 7 (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8018874590848634400)
Michael Badnarik - Constitution Class 4 of 7 (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1980674934527237459)
Michael Badnarik - Constitution Class 5 of 7 (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5509747643152392910)
Michael Badnarik - Constitution Class 6 of 7 (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3601271545224839349)
Michael Badnarik - Constitution Class 7 of 7 (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5824859883322263421)

Anytime you have a spare hour, just watch one show.. come back and watch another etc..

Accord
10-10-06, 08:07 PM
Will do.

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-11-06, 01:04 AM
Please tell me you're joking. Anything with the name Michael Badnarick attached is little more than a joke. The man isn't half as smart as he thinks he is.

Regardless, there may be something there worth learning. But, I have more political science classes under my belt than I care to remember. And the best place other than an actual classroom I can send anyone to learn is the MIT Open Course Ware program. While there isn't an actual section devoted to the Constitution, there are several sections that may be of interest to the people of this board. The Poli Sci courses are located here:
http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Political-Science/index.htm

You should take a look at the Intro to Political Thought section. It can open your eyes to other views and what people have thought about this grand experiment through time.

Kildars
10-11-06, 01:06 AM
It's not really about politics and by me posting this doesn't imply I agree with everything he says. He just defines the different between a privilege and a right which I was trying to point out to accord and other people who wonder. There surely are some things I agree with in what he said in that class and there are some things I don't agree with. Either way, just the first two shows can show you the difference between a privilege and rights.

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-11-06, 01:21 AM
Kildars, there is a difference. However, it is easy to assume that something is a pribilege, when it is actually a right. I see that people get confused at times, but we have different kinds of rights. We have natural rights- which are those given to us by God. We have express rights, which are those granted to us by the Constitution or other writing (voting, which you argued about in the other post-- but it is a right) and implied rights which are usually granted by the judiciary when the assume things into the Constitution. From what I know about Badnarik, I know he will be confused on these. He has a particular view, and he is biased towards that view. That is fine, I have a particular world view as well. However, in a scholarly setting, you cannot allow that bias to come into play.

Regardless, it took me about 3 seconds of watching to be offended. By putting the flag upside down on his book he may as well have spit in my face. It is a disgrace.

Kildars
10-11-06, 01:26 AM
Kildars, there is a difference. However, it is easy to assume that something is a pribilege, when it is actually a right. I see that people get confused at times, but we have different kinds of rights. We have natural rights- which are those given to us by God. We have express rights, which are those granted to us by the Constitution or other writing (voting, which you argued about in the other post-- but it is a right) and implied rights which are usually granted by the judiciary when the assume things into the Constitution. From what I know about Badnarik, I know he will be confused on these. He has a particular view, and he is biased towards that view. That is fine, I have a particular world view as well. However, in a scholarly setting, you cannot allow that bias to come into play.

Regardless, it took me about 3 seconds of watching to be offended. By putting the flag upside down on his book he may as well have spit in my face. It is a disgrace.

I respect your opinion but disagree with you on the voting a right thing, I don't think if you have a right to something that anyone should have the power to grant and/or take that "right" away. Also there is a bit of bias in your example too with the whole "God given rights." Some people believe there is no God, in any form.

I agree with the flag thing, but I don't think he meant it as a disgrace -- more as a distress signal because in his opinion America is in distress and he has his reasons.

Anyways Corporal, I am going to go to bed, I got class in 7 hours. I hope you sleep good when you get there, goodnight.

Accord
10-11-06, 01:27 AM
I just started watching and saw the upside flag almost immediately, he claims it's a distress signal for the nation, what a load of crap. No way i'm going to sit here and watch 8 hours of this.

I knew his name sounded familiar but couldn't point to who he actually was, a quick Google search revealed that he was one of those offbeat presidential candidates a few years ago and from what i've read about him, he's a total loon.

That's what's wrong with our universities in this country, people like him impose their views and opinions on others (like Kildars) and then they just repeat his skewed opinions as fact and it's THAT way or no way.

yellowwing
10-11-06, 04:32 AM
Chuckle-chuckle, here's a link to 9 different slants on the US Constitution (http://www.supremecourtus.gov/).

Christiansen
10-11-06, 05:32 AM
That's what's wrong with our universities in this country, people like him impose their views and opinions on others (like Kildars) and then they just repeat his skewed opinions as fact and it's THAT way or no way.

AMEN BRO! Darn him for having views...doesn't he know this is America!?:p

Just because you have some preconceived notion that he's about to say something anti-American and waste your time with some liberal dooms-day jargon.... doesn't mean that's the reality of the situation. Hey, you could stop reading now and reply calling me a "Bl*w Job" ----or---- you could read the entire post, quote me in your response, and prove to everyone that I am, indeed, a bl*w job.

The difference between "feel" and "fact" -----is, well, that he's actually reading from text that binds this country together and not spewing off liberal, Hollywood, Michele Moore, anti bush, 9/11 conspiracy theories.

And besides, I'll admit it, I've watched fat micky's movies... Did I like hearing his voice? no; Did I agree with the movie? no!; Do I like michele moore?no again!.... but... at least I know what I don't agree with. Why? because I'm a big boy... I don't fear watching something that might disagree with me and I'm not easily taken by it unless it's built upon a strong foundation of fact.

This isn't some political rant I'm spewing either. It's pretty basic. He's being pretty up front about it all as well as asking you to go out and read it for yourself. At the least he's getting people interested in their rights. I assume you consider that a good thing.

I'm not saying that he doesn't slip in a few of his own views between facts but I'm old enough to take it with a grain of salt. Though, I gotta tell ya, I've learned a lot just from watching this than during those sleepy days of civics class.

. . . And if you still wanna call me a bl*w job?, well that is your RIGHT as an American!

Camper51
10-11-06, 09:29 AM

And you are not trying to impose your views??? Wasn't it YOU that stated that your view could NOT be argued with???

Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black to me...

The fact is that we all have views and some agree and some don't. That is what is so wonderful about this country. We have the right to have our views and the government is not going to jail us just because we differ from it's views. How boring would it be if everyone marched in lockstep...ugh...

dodint
10-11-06, 12:18 PM
Sidenote: The US Constitution is on the Private to Lance Corporal reading list for the Marine Corps Professional Reading Program.

I'm starting with Black Hawk Down, however.

http://www.mcu.usmc.mil/reading/

Kildars
10-11-06, 01:03 PM
AMEN BRO! Darn him for having views...doesn't he know this is America!?:p

Just because you have some preconceived notion that he's about to say something anti-American and waste your time with some liberal dooms-day jargon.... doesn't mean that's the reality of the situation. Hey, you could stop reading now and reply calling me a "Bl*w Job" ----or---- you could read the entire post, quote me in your response, and prove to everyone that I am, indeed, a bl*w job.

The difference between "feel" and "fact" -----is, well, that he's actually reading from text that binds this country together and not spewing off liberal, Hollywood, Michele Moore, anti bush, 9/11 conspiracy theories.

And besides, I'll admit it, I've watched fat micky's movies... Did I like hearing his voice? no; Did I agree with the movie? no!; Do I like michele moore?no again!.... but... at least I know what I don't agree with. Why? because I'm a big boy... I don't fear watching something that might disagree with me and I'm not easily taken by it unless it's built upon a strong foundation of fact.

This isn't some political rant I'm spewing either. It's pretty basic. He's being pretty up front about it all as well as asking you to go out and read it for yourself. At the least he's getting people interested in their rights. I assume you consider that a good thing.

I'm not saying that he doesn't slip in a few of his own views between facts but I'm old enough to take it with a grain of salt. Though, I gotta tell ya, I've learned a lot just from watching this than during those sleepy days of civics class.

. . . And if you still wanna call me a bl*w job?, well that is your RIGHT as an American!

Thank you.

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-11-06, 02:05 PM
No, my right as an American is to choose to listen to anything I want to listen to. In this case, I know what the man is going to say. I went ahead and listened to the first video, and I was not surprised by anything he had to say. It isn't liberalism, it is libertarian in the strictest possible way. There is some validity to his argument, but much of it is skewed to try to accomplish the libertarian objective which is a government limited to such a degree that it become nearly useless. It is more of an Articles of Confederation view of America. That's fine, but the majority has decided that this isn't the ideal form of government... and in a Republic we have that ability.

Achped
10-11-06, 02:35 PM
Does anyone want an Italian sub?

yellowwing
10-11-06, 03:11 PM
Does anyone want an Italian sub?
Sure, sounds good. I bet Justice Antonin Scalia can make a wicked sandwich.

I like that no matter what we argue passionately here and now, thanks to the checks and balances of Our Government, the basic building blocks are slow to change.

It ensures that hopefully our great grand kids have a good country. And there will be a Few that will be able to Join Our Beloved Corps to continue on.

*This patriotic message sponsored by Quizno's

:banana: