PDA

View Full Version : Army tones down drill sergeants...

JagsIndy
10-10-06, 05:55 PM
:scared: Oct 10, 6:19 PM EDT <br />
<br />
Army tones down drill sergeants <br />
<br />
By PAULINE JELINEK <br />
Associated Press Writer <br />
<br />
<br />
AP Photo/MARY ANN CHASTAIN

greensideout
10-10-06, 06:50 PM
I can hear the bark of the Drill Sergeants in my mind---

"Hey everyone, it's time to fall-in, ok?"

I know that this is Army but I would like to hear from some current or resent Marines on this one. (I know how you salts feel about this one---lol.) Do you think that stress in boot is a positive or a negative? I have always thought that boot was the place to learn to function as a team under stress.

Namvet67
10-10-06, 07:06 PM
MCRD SD April 1967! Stress? Can't become a Marine without it! The army ain't the Corps but military is military! It's all about teamwork and following orders without thinking about was the order right or wrong! That will get you killed in a combat situation!

RLeon
10-10-06, 10:01 PM
Good Grief!
Of course the attrition rate has dropped.
I thought the point of Recruit Training (Adventure camp for Army) was to weed out the non-hackers, not placate them.

yellowwing
10-11-06, 12:44 AM
I thought part the reason for a Drill Instructor's harsh directness is the time factor. Training 60-80 high school kids does not afford time to hand hold.

If the Army can do it with more Drill Sergeants and maybe more basic trainees stepping up, good on them.

I wonder what percentage of our Marines at any given moment are, or already have been, deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan. Thank our ruthless Drill Instructors that prepare them. :evilgrin:

drumcorpssnare
10-11-06, 09:54 AM
This revolutionary change in Army training could make "hostile warfare" a thing of the past!
Just imagine, one drill sargeant for each Army recruit. In a quiet, library-like setting, each recruit reports to their 'cubicle' for clases. The gut-wrenching terror of warfare is 'explained' to each young recruit. They are told that life in the field, is 'not easy.' Their marksmanship training is done via a modern video game.
Then when they reach the combat area of operations, they understand that all they have to do is sit down with the enemy, over a couple glasses of milk and some cookies. Then they can quietly discuss the problems, and work toward a solution, where everyone has a warm fuzzy feeling. Then, the enemy kills the U.S. Army soldier.
I'll take the good old Marine Corps recruit training....any day!

Semper Fi :usmc:

RAGINGRHINO
10-11-06, 10:08 AM
By going softer in bootcamp is just going to lead to undisiplined soldiers and thats going to lead to casualties. THANK GOD FOR THE CORPS

lucien2
10-11-06, 10:23 AM
More soldiers will die in combat as a result.........

jinelson
10-11-06, 10:28 AM
I would like to hear what the Drill Sergeants opinions on this are lol.

DWG
10-11-06, 10:44 AM
To this day, forty years after the fact, the ice cold fear of my Drill Instructors will not let me refer to them as "DI"s. The screams of Senior Drill Instructor SSgt. Gruber and the rapid application of boot or baton by Jr. Drill Instructor Sgt.s Morrow and Alston got me through my first and last run at PI. Had they chosen to discuss training I think I would have opted for civilian. But when I got that"Vulture, Hook and Eightball", I knew I had earned something! Why not just give these kids an army hat and a pair of boots and call them "Sojer", toss in a box of medals and they will compare with the best of any army in South America. The army trains boys and girls together so what do you expect? I would venture to say that WMs at PI are more ill treated than these trainees the army is conditioning.

:evilgrin:

jryanjack
10-11-06, 10:51 AM
By going softer in bootcamp is just going to lead to undisiplined soldiers and thats going to lead to casualties. THANK GOD FOR THE CORPS

Agree! We're forgetting the adage - "the more you sweat in peace the less you bleed in war".

Hope we're not setting ourselves up for a loss the next time the balloon goes up.

sgtrock1970
10-11-06, 11:11 AM
As the Marine Corps birthday looms closer and I thinkof the brothers I lost in Vietnam and the young Brothers lost since then-what the hell is the Army thinking? What a bunch of sissies that are making policy and it won't be them that pays it will be the new breed of soldiers that will suffer.

Marine84
10-11-06, 11:48 AM
yeah, and instead of getting IPTd when you F up - you get "time out" - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! They better send them in after us...............

Mike McIntyre
10-11-06, 02:03 PM
You see this on sports teams today, the “Player’s Coach”. I challenge you to look at the most successful programs and find a “touchy, feely” coach.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
The problem with this analogy is that these coaches are competing for trophies and NOT LIVES (American Lives)!!!!!!
<o:p></o:p>
All you Active Drill Instructors just keep doing what you are doing because I for one am placing my son’s life in your hands.

10thzodiac
10-12-06, 08:41 AM
I do not know about all of you, training is one thing, but anybody that abuses, uses or plays me for a fool , had better ****** grow eyes in the back of their head. That is me…too GD touchy, and I do not forget! <O:p</O:p

usmchauer
10-12-06, 08:46 AM
The Army's new slogan should be "Quantity.... not Quality!!"

10thzodiac
10-12-06, 09:19 AM
When I was at the VA the other day, I met a former Korean Veteran, a soldier that told me he is a born again Christian and Republican. He told me they made him a Sergeant First Class his first year in the army. Then they sent him to Korea and they made him a First Sergeant without him even ever having drilled troops. He was in Korea 9 months and the Army three years. Upsettingly, he's been trying to get a hearing aid from the VA for some time now and believes it is service related while he was in Korea.

greensideout
10-12-06, 08:01 PM
When I was at the VA the other day, I met a former Korean Veteran, a soldier that told me he is a born again Christian and Republican. He told me they made him a Sergeant First Class his first year in the army. Then they sent him to Korea and they made him a First Sergeant without him even ever having drilled troops. He was in Korea 9 months and the Army three years. Upsettingly, he's been trying to get a hearing aid from the VA for some time now and believes it is service related while he was in Korea.

I must be slow on the uptake tonight. I read your post three times and still can't find the point that you are making or what it's related to? Is it his faith, or promotions, or that he was at the VA or what?

As you may remember, back in that time frame many if not most all reserve and guard unit members did not even go to basic or boot camp. Yes, that includes the Marine reserve. Also, many of them went to fight in the Korean War and as I understand the history of that war it was mostly fought by reserve troops. (I know a Bird Col. that never even went to Army basic. He refused promotion to General. He was ARNG.) (I knew a Marine Reserve, enlisted that never went to boot that served in that time frame. He's the father of my son-in-law).

10thzodiac
10-12-06, 09:22 PM
[quote=greensideout]I must be slow on the uptake tonight. I read your post three times and still can't find the point that you are making or what it's related to? Is it his faith, or promotions, or that he was at the VA or what?quote]

<!-- / icon and title -->And here I thought everyone one would get it ! You know the 'army thing': Sergeant First Class 1<SUP>st</SUP> year, First Sergeant 2<SUP>nd</SUP> year and now no yelling at recruits in boot camp. I hear they are trying to outsource combat duties as soon as Dicks old company HB can find enough to work for minimum wage.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><O:P></O:P>
One of my ******* army buddies, " Flies" use to tease me, that when he was training Marines at Redstone Missile School, the Marines use to brag they were first in combat, the soldiers would just smile and say , "yeah and we’ll be right behind you."
<O:P></O:P>
You did get it; the, 'we will be right behind you', thing…

SF

10th

P.S. "Flies", before he became an instructor at Redstone reenlisted after boot camp to go to Missile school, so he could avoid Vietnam. Some of those dog faces can actually think ! His brother had no choice, either go to jail (armed robbery, gas station Wisc.) or army. 101st AB, two Bronze Stars later, Mike cannot own a gun.

seabag
10-14-06, 12:28 AM
This revolutionary change in Army training could make "hostile warfare" a thing of the past!
Just imagine, one drill sargeant for each Army recruit. In a quiet, library-like setting, each recruit reports to their 'cubicle' for clases. The gut-wrenching terror of warfare is 'explained' to each young recruit. They are told that life in the field, is 'not easy.' Their marksmanship training is done via a modern video game.
Then when they reach the combat area of operations, they understand that all they have to do is sit down with the enemy, over a couple glasses of milk and some cookies. Then they can quietly discuss the problems, and work toward a solution, where everyone has a warm fuzzy feeling. Then, the enemy kills the U.S. Army soldier.
I'll take the good old Marine Corps recruit training....any day!

Semper Fi :usmc:

When I read your post, I pictured the school principle on South Park as an army drill sergeant, m'kay?:D

maverickmarine
10-15-06, 09:08 AM
ARMY= Aint Really Marine Yet. Obviously never will be but man are they freakin' kidding me with that??? Tone down, it was never toned up enough!!! God Bless the Marine Corps!