PDA

View Full Version : Talk about motivation...

Achped
10-10-06, 04:39 PM
I broke up with my GF, just didn't want the relationship thing going on. Wanted to focus on earning something that only 178,000 people in the world currently wear the uniform to.

Anyways, I started talking to this new girl, not for a relationship, just to hang out and stuff. ;)

Well we were gonna go to the forest with my jeep friday and spend all day out there offroading.

Her dad wanted to talk to me.

Her mom is from Holland (first clue), but dad's from Illinois.

I talked to him and stuff, he asked about offroading, if it was safe, etc etc. Then he said "So you're joining the Marine Corps" in an off-the-wall voice (Second clue)

I said yes, we started talking. His grandfather was in the same division and everything as the Flag Raisers at Iwo Jima, just 3rd platoon, they were second. His grandfather got shot on Iwo and spent 9 months in a body cast (he's still alive)

He was in the air force and a few of his uncles were in the Army. So he's speaking from "experience".

I don't really feel like writing out what pathetic things this man said, but he basically told me that the Iraqis were more resolute than we were, and I "might think I'm serving my country", but "my country's wrong, and you're going to pay for it with your life."

So, after that demoralizing speech....I used it for moto and a bunch of poolees did this to our hair
http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/8411/haircutez3.jpg

Accord
10-10-06, 05:12 PM
I don't really feel like writing out what pathetic things this man said, but he basically told me that the Iraqis were more resolute than we were, and I "might think I'm serving my country", but "my country's wrong, and you're going to pay for it with your life."

I hate it when people say things like that, especially when the people saying it are veterans themselves so it's hard to reply to them with an honest answer without being disrespectful to a veteran, no matter how much you disagree, so you either just don't respond or try and respond but in the most respectful way possible.

I would have said something along the lines of:

"Sir, with all due respect, I am not joining the Marine Corps for one simple conflict such as Iraq. I am joining because I want to be part of the greatest brotherhood the world has ever known and because there is nothing that can compare to earning the title of United State Marine, you may not be proud of your service to our country, but I am going to be proud of my service and nothing will stand in the way of that.

On second thought, I think I am going to be going offroading alone tomorrow. Thank you for your service and thank you for your time today."

*about face, exit the door, drive away*

Static_Sky25
10-10-06, 05:46 PM
coulda just smiled and said.. "yeah, you may be right... but your daughter doesn't think so..." THEN about face and exit

Leaves daddy wondering if you'll be really be off roading or if his daughter will be pretending to "drive down a bumpy road"...

Long story short... we may be right in being there, we may be wrong in being there... Either way your going to be serving your country be it right or wrong NO-ONE can ever say you didn't stand by her. And that is the Definition of "Semper Fidelis" (Always Faithful)

P.S. for the record I think we're in the right, screw france and all the rest who don't

Kildars
10-10-06, 05:50 PM
P.S. for the record I think we're in the right, screw france and all the rest who don't

You think we're right in invading Iraq in response of the 9/11 attacks?

Brass
10-10-06, 06:10 PM
Settle down, no use in muddying the waters with a dopey political argument.

Static_Sky25
10-10-06, 07:03 PM
You think we're right in invading Iraq in response of the 9/11 attacks?

Nope, I simply said I think (meaning you don't have to agree) we're in the right in invading Iraq... next time READ then re-read what others post before you misunderstand what is said. May prevent this in the future.

I try and stay away from the "socialy acceptable" view that it's bush doing daddys work.. I think we were right in invading because No-one; race, color, nationality, religion irrelevant. Deserves to live in an oppressive environment. However it is unrelated to the 9/11 attacks. Do you have children? If so try and picture your childs face on one of the children you see on the news... THEN if you still feel the need to boost your ego by questioning the views of others, then feel free... if you don't have children then you won't get it.

Lastly this is not the proper venue to discuss this... if you feel the need to further discuss this you can Private message me or my A.I.M. is Static Sky25 however as your squadleader Ssgt Nelson (Jinelson, is the forum moderator for the poolees/wannabes) has mentioned argumentative or provocational language will not be tolerated on the Forum Boards

Achped
10-10-06, 07:07 PM
Come on guys, any props on the hair do? I know its a "Marine Cut", and I won't look like that when I ship but its pretty cool lookin! The high and tight is the best hair cut ever invented!

Static_Sky25
10-10-06, 08:02 PM
Come on guys, any props on the hair do? I know its a "Marine Cut", and I won't look like that when I ship but its pretty cool lookin! The high and tight is the best hair cut ever invented!

like ya cut you hair..., nah just kiddin bud, lookin clean

:thumbup:

Kildars
10-10-06, 08:05 PM
Nope, I simply said I think (meaning you don't have to agree) we're in the right in invading Iraq... next time READ then re-read what others post before you misunderstand what is said. May prevent this in the future.

I try and stay away from the "socialy acceptable" view that it's bush doing daddys work.. I think we were right in invading because No-one; race, color, nationality, religion irrelevant. Deserves to live in an oppressive environment. However it is unrelated to the 9/11 attacks. Do you have children? If so try and picture your childs face on one of the children you see on the news... THEN if you still feel the need to boost your ego by questioning the views of others, then feel free... if you don't have children then you won't get it.

Lastly this is not the proper venue to discuss this... if you feel the need to further discuss this you can Private message me or my A.I.M. is Static Sky25 however as your squadleader Ssgt Nelson (Jinelson, is the forum moderator for the poolees/wannabes) has mentioned argumentative or provocational language will not be tolerated on the Forum Boards

I did read, I was just clarifying what you said -- I did read but when you don't clarify what you agree with -- I wanted you to clarify.

... I still wonder why people insult people in internet arguments, makes you look immature. All I asked is for you to clarify what you agreed with and you took it out of proportion.

/sigh.

jinelson
10-11-06, 12:53 AM
Kildars it doesent matter what we as individuals think about Iraq. We follow the orders of the Commander In Chief and one of the Marine Corps basic missions is "such other duties as the President may direct."

Achped nice high and tight!

Kildars
10-11-06, 01:04 AM
Kildars it doesent matter what we as individuals think about Iraq. We follow the orders of the Commander In Chief and one of the Marine Corps basic missions is "such other duties as the President may direct."

Achped nice high and tight!

I wasn't saying it was a bad thing sir just asking for clarification :)

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-11-06, 01:27 AM
Love the high and tight.

And I 100% believe we were right to invade Iraq. 9/11 is but a small reason to say we had reason, but it is among them. There may not have been an overt link between the two, but the "Bush Doctrine" that was established just after 9/11 made it clear. You're with us, or you're against us. They were against us.

Regardless, I find it in poor taste to come to a military site and then question whether our military is doing the right thing. There are better placed to do that.

Accord
10-11-06, 01:35 AM
Regardless, I find it in poor taste to come to a military site and then question whether our military is doing the right thing. There are better placed to do that.
Absolutely, it's a slap in the face and does nothing but demean those serving on active duty right now.

jebollenbach
10-11-06, 02:07 AM
Love the high and tight.

And I 100% believe we were right to invade Iraq. 9/11 is but a small reason to say we had reason, but it is among them. There may not have been an overt link between the two, but the "Bush Doctrine" that was established just after 9/11 made it clear. You're with us, or you're against us. They were against us.

:flag: I agree we were right in finishing what we started. We should have never left in the first place. I lost alot of close friends the first time around and this time.

If any slimy wanna be ever tells you its not worth it just let them know there real cheap apartments in Russia and there more than welcome to go.

All you future war dogs out there keep the faith. There are more people in this country proud of you and know what you are sacrificing every day.

God Bless and Semper Fi.

Marine84
10-11-06, 07:47 AM
Love the high and tight!

And Daddy has that attitude cause he was AF - forget about him.

PerXes
10-11-06, 11:51 PM
In these kinds of situations, I usually prefer to unflinchingly listen to everything they have to say, and then reply with, "okay." Who cares what they think, there's no reason to argue with them or let it get to you.

As for the high and tight, I am of the opinion that you should get rid of it until you've earned it.

Accord
10-12-06, 12:59 AM
In these kinds of situations, I usually prefer to unflinchingly listen to everything they have to say, and then reply with, "okay." Who cares what they think, there's no reason to argue with them or let it get to you.

As for the high and tight, I am of the opinion that you should get rid of it until you've earned it.
Hell yeah, everytime I talk to Achped on AIM I keep telling him not to do things like this so he doesn't jinx himself, haha. If you hold off on it right now, it will just be that much sweeter once you get your first real high and tight as a real Marine.

Achped
10-12-06, 09:16 AM
Every poolee at my RS did this on Tuesday, you expect me to be the lone one not to because I have to "earn" my haircut?

Most people aren't even smart enough to know its a "Marine" cut, everyone I've talked to has said "Haha, what kind of fade is that?"

But yes John, I definitely need to just poolee up, slow down, and stop possibly jinxing myself.

outlaw3179
10-12-06, 11:14 AM
keep the haircut ...Marines dont have a patent on the "high and tight". Who cares about what people think is right or wrong , just do it because you believe in it. Fuk everyone else and their stupid ass opinions.

Accord
10-12-06, 12:37 PM
But yes John, I definitely need to just poolee up, slow down, and stop possibly jinxing myself.
:D

Static_Sky25
10-13-06, 10:32 AM
I wasn't saying it was a bad thing sir just asking for clarification :)

next time say that...

An "I don't understand, will you clarify" tends to look alot less confrontory than adding words to someones statement

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-13-06, 06:05 PM
I had a high and tight flattop for years before I enlisted. Marines aren't the only ones that shave the sides of their heads.

Brass
10-13-06, 09:55 PM
possibly jinxing myself.

Luck won't have anything to do with it.