PDA

View Full Version : Army reveals new recruiting slogan

Accord
10-10-06, 12:51 PM
"Army Strong"

I can't believe they paid 1 billion dollars for that. Nothing can beat "The Few, The Proud."

Army Launching 'Army Strong' Ad Campaign
By ROBERT BURNS, AP Military Writer
4:37 PM PDT, October 9, 2006

WASHINGTON -- In its battle to win the hearts and minds of recruiting-age Americans, the Army is replacing its main ad slogan -- "An Army of One" -- with one it hopes will pack more punch: "Army Strong."

The new approach, the fruit of a $200 million-a-year contract with a major advertising agency, was announced Monday by Army Secretary Francis J. Harvey. He said "Army Strong" will be the centerpiece of a multimedia ad campaign to be launched Nov. 9, timed to coincide with Veterans Day weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT
Army officials acknowledge that recruiting during wartime is difficult, particularly with the Iraq war grinding on far longer than Bush administration officials expected and U.S. troops dying in battle almost every day.

"There's no question that we want to have a marketing boost right now, it's important to us," said Lt. Gen. Robert L. Van Antwerp, who oversees the recruiting effort as commander of U.S. Army Accessions Command.

The Army missed its recruiting target in 2005 by the widest margin in more than two decades, but bounced back this year to reach its goal of signing up 80,000 new soldiers, in part by offering bigger financial incentives, increasing its cadre of recruiters and making more use of Web sites to reach young people. It also has accepted more applicants with lower-tier scores on aptitude tests.

Van Antwerp acknowledged that negative news from Iraq "is a factor" that can inhibit young people from joining the Army, but he said the advertising campaign will not gloss over the risks of war. More than 2,700 members of the U.S. military have died since the Iraq war began in March 2003.

"Every recruiter will tell you, there is a very strong likelihood that you're going to deploy -- and pretty early on in your career," he said.

Army officials said the switch did not mean the "Army of One" slogan was a loser, but many have criticized it.

Loren Thompson, a defense analyst at the Lexington Institute research group, said the previous slogan seemed to promote the notion that you could join the Army and preserve your individuality.

"If you want to be an `Army of One' you probably want to join the Hell's Angels, not the U.S. Army," he said.

The Army adopted the "Army of One" slogan in January 2001 after research showed that young people saw life in the military as dehumanizing. It had replaced the "Be All You Can Be" campaign, which lasted nearly 20 years but which Army officials had soured on at a time of recruiting problems.

"Army Strong" was developed by McCann Worldgroup, the communications firm the Army hired last December after struggling through a disappointing recruiting year. The overall five-year contract with McCann Worldgroup is valued at $1 billion, with the first two years guaranteed at $200 million annually.

The new slogan, developed in numerous tests with focus groups and interviews with soldiers, is meant to convey the idea that if you join the Army you will gain physical and emotional strength, as well as strength of character and purpose.

"What will happen if you come into the Army is what soldiers know happens: you become better," Van Antwerp said in an interview. It also is aimed at selling the merits of Army service to parents, teachers and other "influencers" -- adults who directly influence a young person's direction in life, Van Antwerp said.

Harvey said the ad campaign "speaks to the essential truth" of being a soldier.

Eric Keshin, chief operating officer at McCann Worldgroup, said in an interview that "Army Strong" represents "an evolution that is moving with the times" to enable the Army to meet its recruiting goals.

The other military services also rely on slogans to spearhead their advertising campaigns. Just last month the Air Force switched its from "Cross Into the Blue" to "Do Something Amazing." The Navy has relied on "Accelerate Your Life" since January 2001, and the Marines have long used "The Few. The Proud."

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/politics/wire/sns-ap-army-slogan,1,6915157.story?coll=sns-ap-politics-headlines

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-10-06, 01:01 PM
Let me guess, they're going to give all of the poolees little green braclets that say say ARMY STRONG on them.

Way to be about three years behind Army!

Achped
10-10-06, 01:02 PM
It will be a crying shame if the Corps ever switches to something homosexual like that.

The Few. The Proud.

Nothing conveys what the Marines are really about better than that.

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-10-06, 01:35 PM
Achped, we have used a few other things. The commercials used to all say "we're looking for a few good men". There is the famous poster that says "we never promised you a rose garden." There are others, but none as stupid as the ARMY STRONG and Army of One slogans they've come up with.

Accord
10-10-06, 01:36 PM
Let me guess, they're going to give all of the poolees little green braclets that say say ARMY STRONG on them.

Way to be about three years behind Army!

At the Army recruiting office next door to my Marine RS, the Army recruiters call all of their Army poolees "Soldier" and by their actual rank as if they already graduated boot... "hey PFC Smith" or "Hey soldier..." even though the kid is just a poolee. Apparently you become a soldier the second you swear in at MEPS and sign your contract, you don't earn the title.

Accord
10-10-06, 01:44 PM
Achped, we have used a few other things. The commercials used to all say "we're looking for a few good men". There is the famous poster that says "we never promised you a rose garden." There are others, but none as stupid as the ARMY STRONG and Army of One slogans they've come up with.
Some other good ones:

"Tell it to the Marines"
"FIRST TO FIGHT"
"If you want to fight, Join the Marines"
"Fortitude"
"No One Likes to Fight, But Someone Should Know How"

The Marine Corps has always had great slogans.

devildoghopeful
10-10-06, 02:27 PM
I read somewhere (and it may or may not be true) that "No One Likes to Fight, But someone should know how" was abandoned as a slogan because too many Marines admitted that they did in fact like to fight.

:cool:

PerXes
10-10-06, 02:31 PM
Sounds like a caveman talking. Or Tarzan. Army Strong, me Tarzan, you Jane, we Soldiers, oog.

Barret
10-10-06, 04:15 PM
Just one more reason to love the Marine Corps: Every other service's recruiting slogans are all about you, you, and you. Get stronger, smarter, tougher, etc. What they don't tell you is the part about being property of the U.S government, or about all the times you will be in the cold, sleet, hail, and rain.

The Corps asks you only one thing: Do you have what it takes?

Dzoavits
10-10-06, 06:28 PM
The original Army of One wasn't so bad. It was supposed to be Army of O.N.E.

O = Officer
N = Noncommissioned Officer
E = Enlisted men/women

It would of been a kind of patriotic E pluribus unum type of slogan... Out of Many One. Our nations traditional motto. Representing the original thirteen colonies and later our Fifty states united to become stronger as the United States of America.

Instead the Ads turned into that wandering lone Soldier looking lost in the desert. There was no unity, only selfishness reflected in that Ad. The voiceover guy was almost trying to bribe you into joining the US Army. Talking about all the skills you would get when you leave and the money you'd receive. It wasn't about serving your country or your brothers in arms it was about serving yourself.

The whole campaign and slogan personally turned me off to the idea of joining the Army. I think the original idea of it was good though if they would of stuck with it.

Be All That You Can Be slogan was catchy. Army Strong sounds dumb but their commercial from what I've seen is a whole lot much better than the previous ones. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_FYDyshyk4

I just don't like the way they did they "revealed" the text like that. It made it hard to read.

Accord
10-10-06, 06:57 PM
The video was pretty good until the part where it said "There is nothing on this green earth stronger than the US Army!"

Um, HELLO... yes there is, it's called the United States Marine Corps!

Achped
10-10-06, 07:12 PM
Look what I found in the very same screen when that was over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koK4ucNHoUI&mode=related&search=

Freaking fags.

dodint
10-10-06, 07:20 PM
Interservice rivalry is one thing, but it's getting really old seeing a bunch of wannabes knocking the Army.

Tell me if I'm out of line here Marines, but wouldn't it be better to focus resources on Marine Corps pride rather than useless service bashing? Especially if you haven't even hit the yellow footprints yet.

I've seen POOLees catch crap here for wearing shirts with the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor on it. If they haven't earned that right yet, then we sure as hell haven't earned the right to degrade another service.

If I'm wrong, Marines, please let me know.

Barret
10-10-06, 07:22 PM
Oh, Christ...another 13 year old sitting in his parent's basement, making videos badmouthing the military because he thinks it will make him cool.

Oh, and watch the entire video before you talk trash to achped..It's the people that made the video that are beign called fags.

Accord
10-10-06, 07:25 PM
Look what I found in the very same screen when that was over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koK4ucNHoUI&mode=related&search=

Freaking fags.
That was an old Superbowl commercial from like a year or two ago, the original version was very well done, but in this one some liberal POS added that crap at the end of it.

dodint
10-10-06, 07:31 PM
Oh, and watch the entire video before you talk trash to achped..It's the people that made the video that are beign called fags.

If you were directing that at me, my comments were made to the general state of affairs in the whole forum lately.

If Achped wants to be a homophobe (twice in this thread already) thats up to him and the mods.

GriT
10-10-06, 07:49 PM
lol now who was it...who posted the comment to the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_FYDyshyk4&NR

Achped
10-10-06, 07:50 PM
Considering the US Military will kick you out if you're a homosexual, I don't think any of the mods will care if I call someone who is asking for the deaths of US Army Soldiers a "faggot". In fact, I doubt they would care if I beat the living daylights out of him either.

You do. Why?

Barret
10-10-06, 07:52 PM
Considering the US Military will kick you out if you're a homosexual, I don't think any of the mods will care if I call someone who is asking for the deaths of US Army Soldiers a "faggot". In fact, I doubt they would care if I beat the living daylights out of him either.

You do. Why?

Who are you talking to?

Accord
10-10-06, 08:00 PM
Check out this army advertisement... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Lfh_11Yu40&mode=related&search=

Gotta love the clip of the hot blonde bouncing up and down riding on a horse... i'm not sure what that has to do with the U.S. Army, but I like it :D.

Achped
10-10-06, 08:05 PM
Who are you talking to?

DODINT

Barret
10-10-06, 08:17 PM
Alright, guys, lets not get into another meaningless little argument over something that shouldn't even be discussed here.

dodint
10-10-06, 08:27 PM
You do. Why?

Ask my wife.

PerXes
10-12-06, 04:06 PM
It seems to me that you're really insecure. What other reason would you have to come to a Marine forum and rattle off your suck about how we're not as good as we say we are? I guess the USA/USAF/USN(whatever you are) doesn't instill confidence in their recruits.

Regardless of what a few people say, the facts are shown by history that the Marine Corps is the best in the business. And you are wrong, there isn't always someone better(who was better than Bruce Lee? Nobody). Sure, there may be someone out there that could beat up an individual Marine, but no force on Earth can defeat the Marine Corps.

I could probably get thousands of Marines to tell me the exact opposite of what the few Marines you've spoken to have said. So this "Oh, this one guy I know said the Marine Corps sucks," bull**** isn't it.

I think I speak on behalf of everyone here when I say take your insecurities somewhere else.