PDA

View Full Version : Local vets: Avoid war

thedrifter
10-10-06, 06:28 AM
Local vets: Avoid war

Daily Record/Sunday News
Article Launched:10/10/2006 06:28:04 AM EDT

Oct 10, 2006 — More than 50 years after the Korean War, local veterans said the recent nuclear testing by North Korea could force leaders to make hard decisions about how to deal with the communist country.

They also worry that South Korea and surrounding countries could be in danger if North Korea is successful with its nuclear program.

"We tossed off a lot of lives over there to keep South Korea free from communism," said Paul Hershey, a member of a U.S. Marines unit that served in Korea in 1952 and 1953.

"Certainly, all of us would be upset if North Korea attacked South Korea," the North Codorus Township resident said.

The war, also called the Korean Conflict, was a battle between Communist and non-Communist forces in Korea from June 25, 1950, to July 27, 1953.

During the conflict, the U.S. forces suffered heavy casualties, with more than 54,000 dead and 103,000 wounded. The war left the country divided, with a communist government to the north and a democracy with a free-market economy to the south.

As a war veteran, Hershey watched the news and read the newspaper for updates on whether North Korea had actually tested a nuclear device. Like many world leaders, he denounced Kim Jong Il, the North Korean leader.

"I think he's just looking for attention and trying to gain publicity," Hershey said. "He's trying to show what kind of power he may have."

After all these years, the conflict American troops and others died for has still not been resolved, said Springettsbury Township resident Jim Fritz. The veteran said he's troubled by North Korea's actions.

"I think it's terrible that the North Koreans did this. I think it's really going to cause a lot of unrest in that area," Fritz said. "It's a very dangerous thing that they've done."

Sanctions against North Korea are an option the world community was considering after the nuclear test was announced. However, some local veterans wonder if it will work.

"Someone has to make a stand somewhere," said Ron Busser, a member of the Korean War Veterans Association. "I know they're trying to do it diplomatically, but it doesn't seem to be working."

Busser, of Dallastown, called Kim "dangerous," and said the United Nations should impose sanctions on North Korea.

Hershey said the sanctions are fine, but would not encourage military intervention.

"I do not think any aggressive action, such as military action, toward North Korea is warranted at this point," Hershey said.

However, if North Korea was to attack another county, "I think (Kim) should be told that if he builds a nuclear weapon and uses it aggressively against any other nation, North Korea could be subject to severe retaliation."

Korean War veteran Bob Casbeer of Springettsbury Township, who witnessed fierce fighting in Korea in the years after the conflict ended, doesn't think war is the answer.

"We do not need another war at this point, absolutely not," Casbeer said. "We should try to avoid it at all costs."

Ellie