PDA

View Full Version : Need Marine Guidance! In college, questioning PLC(non-enlisted) vs. active duty.

MotivatorJames
10-10-06, 01:52 AM
Marines, Former Marines, poolees, friends and family,

I am currently a junior at NC State University and for the past year have been in the process of applying for PLC through my local Officer Selection Officer (OSO). For the past year I have been training/doing PT with the NC State Univ. Alpha Co. Marine ROTC Unit to better my PT score. I frequently find myself in a dilemma with the whole PLC Program vs. Enlisting and going Active or Reservist. There are many reasons why I find myself questioning the program vs. enlisiting. I will try to explain in detail exactly how I feel so that those of you who are willing to give advice will understand how I feel.

Ever since I graduated highschool I have been absolutely crazy about joining the United States Marine Corps. Before graduation I was given the choice of joining the Marine Corps or going to NC State University. My parents and I decided that it would be best that I try college out first and then decide from there what I want to do. I have been doing very well in college so far, I have about a 3.2 GPA, which is good, but not that great. It was not until the fall of 2005, last fall, that I found out about the PLC Program through the MOI/AMOI of NC State University. Ever since then I have been training with the ROTC unit to better my PT score to make myself more competitive on the selection board. However, this past summer when I went to MEPS for a physical I found out that I was medically disqualified for an anal cist that I have, but with proper removal and follow up appointments can be granted a waiver. It will not be until 200612? when I can get the operation done and who knows how long it will take until the operation will heal.I will not be able to be put before the selection board until there are medical documents stating that my condition has healed. Also, this summer I did take my first ASTB (Aviation Selection Test Battery) and scored reasonably well for the first time; scored 5/5/7 , 48 which qualifies for NFO, but not for SNA. Ever since being informed about the PLC program I have been interested in flying, but here is the dilemma. Ever since fall of of 2005 my PFT has not improved dramatically, Im doing 10 pull-ups, 80 crunches, 20 minute 3-mile, and in school I am a business-finance/marketing major and this year have especially found myself lost and bored in my major and frequently question whether I should be in school or going out in the fleet and getting some action. Now, for example, I find myself rocking back and forth wondering whether or not I should I should be in school (even though I don't enjoy it) and pursue the PLC to become a Marine Corps Officer or to enlist and to go get some action and feel like I am making a difference in the world. This is a constant, daily battle for me that I need to resolve badly, now! I keep trying to tell myself to follow what my heart tells me, but that thought is always confused. The bottom line is I have this BURNING desire to become a United States Marine, and it will not go away, but the thing is I am not sure of which path to take. It is driving me crazy. If any of you have ever been in this situation before I would greatly appreciate your input and advice. Thank you all so much. Semper Fidelis. -James LeStrange

PerXes
10-10-06, 06:30 AM
Why not enlist first, see how you like it, and become an officer if you still want to after you enlist? As they always say, the best officers are former enlisted men, anyway. Also, since officer selection is so competetive, being a Marine when you go into OCS will greatly increase your chances. Some dude out of college vs. a Marine who has been in for a couple years, who would you pick?

I don't know if you are familiar with all the different enlistment "programs," but if you don't want to miss a year of school, you could do the Split Program, which breaks up your training into Recruit Training one summer, then everything else the next summer. Or, just miss a semester of school(depending on your job) and do it all in one foul swoop.

It seems to me like you just need time to figure out what you want. Enlisting in the Reserves while you're still at college will satiate your desire to be a Marine, and you'll still be able to finish college, which will give you plenty of time to think about what you want to do. And all at the same time, you'll be getting valuable experience.

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-10-06, 12:32 PM
You're going to run into the same problem enlisting as you have in trying to go as an officer. Get yourself fixed, and then you can decide whether you want to enlist or become an officer.

Osotogary
10-10-06, 01:59 PM
MotivatorJames-
I don't know if this will help or even influence your decision but here goes.
I just talked with my son who just recently fulfilled his active duty responsibilities as an enlisted Marine and who is now back in college, playing football, as a sophmore. His plans are to finish school and go back into the Marine Corps as a JAG.
I asked him how it was making the transition from combat hardened, three tour Marine, to life in a liberal arts college? He said that he can't believe that he once acted like those 19 year olds (well, he didn't say 19 year olds...if you know what I mean. LOL). He said that he is much more focused now than he was close to five years ago before he went into the Marine Corps.
MotivatorJames, decide for yourself what will suit your needs, after all it is your life, wether it be as an Officer or Enlisted Man.
Good luck to you.
Gary

LivinSoFree
10-11-06, 10:31 AM
James,
Please reference my previous posts in the "Ask A Marine" section about PLC and OCS, as well as the reserve side and the 92-day reserve program. If you still have questions after that, feel free to shoot me a PM. Trust me, it's worth your time to look.

LCpl Meyer

jinelson
10-11-06, 10:53 AM
Rule Two before you post a thread make darn sure that you have researched the forums so that you are not embarrassed by the fact it was asked a week ago!

Poolee and Wannabe rules located at the Poolee Hall forum fourth sticky thread. http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29048

Do I hear read the rules before posting?

Marine84
10-11-06, 11:42 AM
Sir - READ THE RULES BEFORE POSTING SIR!

(Sorry, had to)

Andersen
10-12-06, 02:01 AM
If you enlist first there are plenty of opportunities available to you including the BOOST program, MECEP, and NROTC. You should also think about the experience advantage of enlisting first and then becoming a Mustang.

LivinSoFree
10-12-06, 02:46 PM
Motivator James- I'm at UNC-CH. Shoot me a PM with your contact info and we'll get together.

MotivatorJames
10-12-06, 06:35 PM
Thank you all so much for your input. Your comments have helped me to rethink my situation and to further guide me to make the decision I want to make for myself. It was in december of 2005 when I was about 2 days from enlisting at MEPS until I had the discussion with my parents who thought it was a terribly dumb idea because there was the chance that while enlisted I could get called up to go overseas which would interrupt my school. To my parents, the last thing they want is for my school to get interrupted because they are afraid that once I am out I will not want to go back in. It is the little things like this that keep me from going back to the recruiter to tell him "sign me up!" I realize that it is in my parents' best interest to help me make the right decision, but ultimately it is mine to make whether to enlist or not. Thank you all so much and I would greatly appreciate more advice from any of you out there who feel that they can help.

sgt tony
10-12-06, 11:27 PM
Well as a old Marine it is my opion the Marine Officers I delt with when I was in was those that had been enlisted made better officers for the troops because they had been there. Don't get me wrong I had some good officers out of school also but the mustangers got more respect from the enlisted than the school Officer.