View Full Version : Ifin y'all from TEXAS or the South U know watt we means

booksbenji
10-07-06, 12:54 AM
:banana: :yes:

when we sezs these catch phases:

OA Editorial Columnist, Gene Powell Jr.

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Before you turn the page, here’s a turn of phrase:

Remember that time when your key ring got in some kind of tangle and you wrestled it for an hour to no avail? Then some yahoo in your office walks up and untangles the mess in about eight seconds.

What do they say?

“You just gotta hold your tongue right,” they smugly remark before walking away in a cloud of superiority.

What in blue blazes does that mean? Hold your tongue right? Does that exponentially escalate your intelligence? Did they use their tongue to untangle the keys? What does the tongue have to do with the price of tea in China?

Have you ever thought about the phrase?

Chances are you haven’t.

Instead, you just smile and go on about your business as if the keys never got tangled and the comment was never made. We don’t react because, at least here in West Texas, we’re used to the remark.

We’ve heard it. We’ve said it. We probably even believe in it.

I get a kick out of word phrases and word plays, so I love it whenever I hear a new one. And I try to use them whenever I can. Alas, sometimes the phrases can bring awkward stares.

I once said, “He’s all hat and no cattle,” while listening to a speaker at a conference in Washington, D.C. The woman next to me looked at me like I had grown a third eyeball in the middle of my forehead.

She was from California. I guess that’s not an expression commonly used in the suburbs of San Francisco because she had no clue what it meant.

My readers are probably well aware that the phrase means someone is putting on airs or that they are all flash and no substance.

It may be hard to explain the phrase without using another phrase, but we just have an intuitive understanding of what the saying means.

The same holds true with, “Lower than a snake’s belly in a wagon rut.”

I must admit some cliches don’t make sense out of context. For instance, “way out in left field” means you’re an odd duck, but if Albert Pujols is at the plate, you better be playing way out in left field.

Here are some of my favorite sayings:

We’ve howdied, but we ain’t shook hands.

It’s so dry, my duck doesn’t know how to swim.
( well now the ducks in Earl Patch knows how to swim since we got a flood)

He’s as confused as a cow on Astroturf.

He ain’t the brightest bulb in the chandelier.

I’m so broke I can’t pay attention.

Worse off than a rubber-nosed woodpecker in a petrified forest.

He’s dumber than a box of rocks.

This is about as exciting as watching paint dry.

He’s more nervous than a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs

Busier than a one-legged man in a butt-kicking contest.

This ain’t my first rodeo or it's my turn in the barrel. ( Good TEXICAN sayings)

And my all-time favorite: “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over while expecting a different outcome.”

:no:

8th&I Marine
10-07-06, 04:14 AM
What about:

He's Dumber than a box of hammers

He is as sharp as a bowling ball

And any Texan knows what fixin to means

Cantrell:flag:

crate78
10-07-06, 07:41 AM
"He's so old, when he went to school they didn't teach history because nothing had happened yet",

SF
crate

ese4mc
10-07-06, 08:03 AM
he*s not packing a full seabag--he*s 7 cents short of a dollar--his elevator wont reach the penthouse--if dynamite was brains,he dont have enough to blow his nose(much like most politicians) :D

booksbenji
10-07-06, 08:31 AM
i've not heard that 1 in a long while!!!:bunny:

crate78
10-07-06, 01:17 PM
"If b***s*** was money, he could pay off the national debt and not even miss it".

SF
crate