PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have/had this problem??

Bass
10-05-06, 10:16 PM
After DEPing in, school just really didnt seem all that important to me anymore. I already knew what I was going to do and I just didn't see the need to try in school.

Now my grades are starting to slip...bad. :(

I'm in so deep, I don't know if I can get out...and I HAVE TO GRADUATE. I refuse to throw away the opportunity to join the Marine Corps. It's the only thing I want to do.

It's not like I'm not intelligent...I scored a 91 on the ASVAB, but I'm just not challenged or really interested.

Anyone else have/had this problem and want to share some helpful advice?

Kildars
10-05-06, 10:39 PM
If the Marine Corps is what you want, why are you slipping on the thing that is required to get in? Just because you're DEP'd in doesn't guarantee you shipping. If you don't graduate, you won't ship. You better get your **** together -- it's simple, graduate and ship, don't graduate and don't.

Good luck.

Edit: How are you too far deep now? School started maybe 2 - 2 1/2 months ago. You can make up work, do good on your other work and at least get credits. The way highschool works is they really baby you and try to push you through --unlike college. If you actually think it's un doable talk to your teachers.

Bass
10-05-06, 10:45 PM
Here's the thing. I missed a lot of school in the beginning of the year, I didnt think it would be that bad. (I was sick for like a month straight) Now I still am not all caught up. Its twice as hard to get caught up than it would have been if I had been at school every day.

(this was all before I DEP'd in)

Now I just need time to get everything done, but new homework and everything just keeps coming. One of my teachers has a son in the Marines, so she helps me out. But all my other teachers just blow me off.

Kildars
10-05-06, 10:48 PM
Here's the thing. I missed a lot of school in the beginning of the year, I didnt think it would be that bad. (I was sick for like a month straight) Now I still am not all caught up. Its twice as hard to get caught up than it would have been if I had been at school every day.

(this was all before I DEP'd in)

Now I just need time to get everything done, but new homework and everything just keeps coming. One of my teachers has a son in the Marines, so she helps me out. But all my other teachers just blow me off.
Honestly man, I understand where you're coming from. I blew off my whole Junior year, I got 1/2 credit the entire year, out of 6 possible (23.5 required to graduate) due to police ****, fighting, just not caring. I spent more days suspended then I did in class. My senior year I busted my ass, I made up a whole school year in one year and graduate on time with my class, and to enlist in the Marine Corps. If I can do that you can do it. Just work your ass off, get that homework **** done, bug your teachers everyday. Do what it takes, stay moto and you will accomplish your goals.

Jordon

Brazzell
10-05-06, 11:23 PM
Look here hard-charger. One of the Core Values of the Marine Corps is Committment. You've made that commitment to school and the Marine Corps. I suggest you suck it up, speak to your teachers,...

jinelson
10-06-06, 09:39 AM
We had a member here that blew off his first couple years then found out he needed to graduate to be a Marine. He spent his senior year attending regular school all day and then night school every night from 1600 to 2100. He stayed the course for the entire year and graduated with his class.

It can be done.

Jim

outlaw3179
10-06-06, 09:49 AM
1. Mission Accomplishment
2. Troop Welfare.

Marines know what they need to accomplish and they achieve that goal by whatever means neccesary. If you cant pass high school , how are you going to pass boot camp when it doesnt "interest" you anymore. Like Kildars said earlier. Get your s*it together. Stop making up sorry ass excuses and achive your goal.

Static_Sky25
10-06-06, 11:27 AM
After DEPing in, school just really didnt seem all that important to me anymore. I already knew what I was going to do and I just didn't see the need to try in school.

I'm in so deep, I don't know if I can get out...and I HAVE TO GRADUATE. I refuse to throw away the opportunity to join the Marine Corps. It's the only thing I want to do.

It's not like I'm not intelligent...I scored a 91 on the ASVAB, but I'm just not challenged or really interested.

I started my Sr. year in HS with 9 credits we needed 21.5 to grad... I graduated early with 22 it can be done but it takes a A**load of work and little sleep to cram your HW, You CAN do it recruit don't talk yourself out of it, give it your all and nothing less.

Joe

yellowwing
10-06-06, 11:30 AM
I went through the same thing Boomer. I dropped football. Got a 09/100 in English and didn't bother with the Prom. I was just swimming and jogging.

It took work once got my head out of my ass to get back on track. I asked permission to take that English course over again and got an B.

You got to suck it up and start the process again.

quillhill
10-06-06, 02:30 PM
OK. You started school on Aug. 7. It is now Oct. 6. The first semester of your senior year ends Dec. 21. I just looked up your high school and your district's calendar for the year. Obviously all your teachers told you before you get your first quarter grades that you're slipping.
This is why they have mid-terms, so that you find out in enough time so that you can improve.
Do you need to get As? No. Look at each class and determine how much you can pull each grade up realistically between now and Dec. 21. I wrote a story this summer about a girl who missed an entire month of school, her sophomore year, who earned a 3.5 GPA and passed the mandatory state assesment test despite it all. She was diagnosed with Crone's Disease. If she can do that, you can get your grades up.
Speak with each of your teachers individually. Ask them what you need to do to get your grades up to at least Cs this semester, if that is a realistic goal. Write out a plan. Create a schedule for yourself after school. Develop a list of the assignments you need to complete. Do missed homework then do that day's assigned homework so you can build on what you were supposed to have learned already. Don't go out and hang out with your friends until you have completed your tasks. Once you do get caught up, do extra credit.
The good news is you know NOW that you need to shift into high gear, not two weeks before the semester ends. You've got close to three months to get those grades up. Get caught up then get ahead.
Take this as a lesson now in personal responsibility. It is up to you, ultimately, to motivate yourself to accomplish anything.
Tell everyone you've taken their advice. Then don't come back until you are caught up. :)

Bass
10-06-06, 09:12 PM
Alright, I understand what I need to do. I have a lot of make-up work to do, but it WILL get done. thanks alot guys.

I will keep you guys updated as far as grades go.

Bass
10-09-06, 09:26 PM
In the past 4 days, I have busted my ass and made up work left and right. I went and talked to my teachers and made sure I could make everything up. I pulled my grade in english from a 42 up to a 70 (which is passing, i just need to keep it up now).

My government class is beyond passing. I didnt think it would be, but I forgot that its only a semester class and the semester ends this week. My teacher told me that there is no way I can pass it now because I can't make it all up. This class is required to graduate...

I'm not letting anything in the way of getting that diploma, so I talked to my guidence counselor and she laid out my options. I decided to take night classes in order to get all my credits. I may have to give up basketball, which I have played every year for 7 years, but this is much bigger than a high school sport. this is about the rest of my life, and i'm prepared to make the necessary sacrafices.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I'm still motivated, and I know my mission. I WILL graduate.

Kildars
10-09-06, 10:35 PM
Good job, remember there are also ONLINE courses you can take on your own time, for a low cost that transfer over to your high school credits, thats one thing I did. You can read, look at notes online etc while taking tests, I made up a whole credit online in like 3 weeks, (thats one school year of schooling.)

You have lots of options Poolee! Good to see you're taking the initiative and getting things done, Keep it up!

J-Ro
10-10-06, 01:43 AM

Yeah! sure Pull your Head out your Ass so you can Claim the Title!
Few People Like School!

1 2...
3 4...
MARINE CORPS!!!

quillhill
10-10-06, 06:03 PM
In the past 4 days, I have busted my ass and made up work left and right. I went and talked to my teachers and made sure I could make everything up. I pulled my grade in english from a 42 up to a 70 (which is passing, i just need to keep it up now).

My government class is beyond passing. I didnt think it would be, but I forgot that its only a semester class and the semester ends this week. My teacher told me that there is no way I can pass it now because I can't make it all up. This class is required to graduate...

I'm not letting anything in the way of getting that diploma, so I talked to my guidence counselor and she laid out my options. I decided to take night classes in order to get all my credits. I may have to give up basketball, which I have played every year for 7 years, but this is much bigger than a high school sport. this is about the rest of my life, and i'm prepared to make the necessary sacrafices.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I'm still motivated, and I know my mission. I WILL graduate.

This is a good start. Just remember, you're not only going to serve in the Marines for yourself, but for all the people who wish they could but can't and upholding the traditions of all those that went before you, like my grandfather, and all the members here who are no longer active duty but are still proud Marines.
Don't forget the tremendous opportunity you have. I am sure you will make up the required government class before you graduate. Now that you have a plan and see the results you've gotten in just a week, you know what you can do. This is a tough lesson to learn, but it's a good one. Learn from it because it will only serve you well in the future.

Keep us posted, Boomer. I am looking forward to hearing about more progress.

Barret
10-10-06, 07:49 PM
Listen up, brother: If you want it, you gotta earn it. That means overcoming any obstacle , any obstacle, no matter what it is. You should always have an education to fall back on, because things do happen, and if they do, you will need a little cushion to fall on. I don't know how it goes on at your High School, but basically, I don't make that great of grades, and if I just turn in the work, 95% of the time I get a passing grade on the homework.

If you plan on becoming a Marine, start acting like one: When a challenge rears its head and smiles, smile back.