PDA

View Full Version : On His Honor

thedrifter
10-04-06, 06:34 PM
On His Honor
By Sarah Morgan

Staff Writer

A mother's love is keeping a soldier in Iraq strong as he fights for his country.

Lance Cpl. Joshua Peugh, 19, of the United States Marine Corp has left his home of Thomaston to serve in Iraq.

Peugh enlisted into the marines shortly after graduating from Upson-Lee High School in 2005. He was stationed in North Carolina, but was informed around April he would be deployed to Iraq. He left for Iraq July 13.

“I won't forget that day,” said his mother, Jackie Johnson. “I didn't want him to go.

“I still wish he was at home because where he is troops are still fighting, getting hurt and killed. The thought of him over there...it stays with me everyday.”

Johnson received a scare shortly after her son arrived in Iraq when he was struck by a sniper's bullet.

“Thank God for that helmet,” she said, as she clasped her hands. “He had a concussion, but it could have been worse...so much so I don't like to think about it.”

Johnson said her son has always wanted to serve his country.

“This is something he chose to do,” she said. “He's always wanted to serve. He said he wanted me, his family and Amy (his girlfriend) to know that they were taken care of. He is our protector.

“I respect his decision. I wish he didn't have to be over there, but he is doing what he knows is right. He is giving up his youth to fight for his country. I admire him for his strength and courage.”

Using her mothers intuition she knows her son will most likely return to the military after college. She said he has hopes of being an officer. She knows he will make a great one.

For now Johnson tries to think positive and avoid the news.

“We get to talk to Josh and we all take it one day at a time,” she said. “I can't truly understand what he is going through. I feel for him because of the things he has to see.

“I can't even watch the news. I used to, but now I don't know what is going on. What if I saw him on tv? I wouldn't know what to do.

“Last time I talked to him, I could tell something was bothering him. In a letter he sent me he talked about seeing death close up everyday. The saying freedom isn't free isn't a lie. People are having to die for it.”

As of last week it has been 16 days since the local mother got to talk to her son who is fighting a world away.

“He must be on a different rotation,” she said in a reassuring voice. “He is fine. We will talk soon. I know we will.”

She normally talks to him every eight days and sends him a care package each week.

“I send him things like snacks, peanuts, socks and similar items,” she said. “He knows he has the support of his family, we just want to remind him that we love him.”

Peugh is the son of Tim Peugh and has a step-mother Michelle Peugh. His maternal grandparents are Jake and Holly Thomas. His paternal grandparents are Melvin and Roxie Peugh.

Johnson said everyone in the family is keeping Peugh in their thoughts. Especially, his girlfriend of three years, Amy Harrell.

“She is very supportive of him,” Johnson said. “We both miss him, so it is nice to have someone to talk to. We can relate to each other because we both miss him so much.”

She also finds comfort in her co-workers at Upson-Lee High School where she works in the cafeteria.

“They all have been so nice to me,” she said smiling. “They are great listeners who always remind me that everything is going to be OK. It's a comfort knowing I have them there to talk to.”

Taking it one day at a time is what Johnson will have to do until March of 2007, when Peugh is expected to come home.

“When we talk on the phone he talks about coming home and how excited he is,” she said. “It's a ways off, but he'll make it and I will be there waiting.

“Rain, sleet, snow nor anything else will keep me from being there when he gets back to America. There is no way I would miss that.

“I just want to hug him and tell him how much I love him. I can't wait to see him again. He is my hero.

“I've been able to meet a few people he is serving with and I know they are watching out for one another, just like God is watching over them.”

Ellie