PDA

View Full Version : Searched, Can't seem to find.

Ssands
10-04-06, 12:43 PM
Hey everyone.

My shipdate is fast approaching and I have been trying my hardest to memorize all the stuff that the Welcome Aboard package say to memorize. I have the 11 General Orders memorized, as well as the Motto, the Marine Corpse Birthday, Rank and the Marines' Hymn. How did you guys go about memorizing the Mission of the Marine Corps and the Code of Conduct? I found some interesting ways to memorize the 11 General Orders by memorzing stuff like, the second general order is memorized by thinking you have TWO feet to walk your post, do you all know of anything like this for either of those two I listed above.

Guess I could just keep reading over it, but that doesn't seem to be helping me too much. I read in another post its hard to memorize a lot of that stuff unless you are actually living it. I guess that holds true with the two I am having trouble with.

TUstudent
10-04-06, 01:09 PM
No worries, the DIs will have more than just knowledge engrained in your head. If you are going for guide or squad leader that is a plus, the biggest thing though is your IST score, motivation, and leadership skills.

GriT
10-04-06, 01:09 PM
When I was in my cadet program it took me maybe half an hour to memorize the General Orders. Say it to yourself about 5-6 times, then move on to the next one. Repeating to myself outloud is how I can usually get things quick. Same with the hymn and mission. Take parts of it, maybe a sentence, and get that down first, then build upon it. Repetition is key!