PDA

View Full Version : Attention On Deck!!!!!!!

thedrifter
07-08-02, 06:39 PM
TO ALL :

Fun is fun, but it has been bought to my attention that some of the pictures have been deleted due to nudity, bad taste etc.....

Also be advised to watch your language. As adults we understand but we have youngsters in here.

THANK YOU!!!!!

Sempers,

Roger

PS: Have fun but please keep it clean...........

Sixguns
07-08-02, 06:44 PM
It was fun while it lasted. I understand that the forums are "public" information and can be accessed by anyone. Perhaps there is a way to have forums that are somewhat controlled via password/access. Not sure how it would work, but the idea is that you needed to be registered and belong to the forum to gain access. Hey, I can live without it if it can't be done.

Sixguns

SSgtOfMarines
07-08-02, 06:51 PM
somebody ate a Waah-Burger for dinner.... with a side order of french cries

wrbones
07-08-02, 07:07 PM
I mighta started it, but I didn't go there!..Not that I didn't think about it.;)

lindagr41
07-08-02, 07:38 PM
GEESH Bones...

Your a man..of course you thought about it. Men ALWAYS think about it. Hahahahahahahahahaha

me

http://wowjoke.com/image/1003.gif

thedrifter
07-09-02, 07:12 AM
Just a Friendly Reminder

Sempers,

Roger

Midnight
07-09-02, 09:39 AM
I musta misread the banner, I thought it said Leatherneck. Doncha ya know as in Marine? Well the white mice have come out, put on their PC gloves n sanitzed everything, just like the real world. Yeah fcukin A reet. Ooo there's chilluns here, OOoo we must respect each other, OOoo I started it but I didn't do it. Yeah joeys lickun themselves, and wet pussies are okay but doan show any fatassed gals. Buncha fcukin pogues. I joined the Corps because I knew I was gonna be in the sh!t, and I wanted the meanest ugliest hardassed mutha****ashs next to me not some candyassed sensitive sobsister whining about getting respect or denyinbg sometheing. My Corps is made up of stand up brothers who EARNED respect by doing the right thing not mouthing a bunch of weak sh!t drivel. "Old breed, New breed as long as it's the Marine breed". DON'T WATER DOWN THE BLOODLINE OF THE BREED TO SATISFY THOSE THAT CAN'T MEET THE STANDARDS.
SEMPER FIDELIS MARINES
N SCREW THE WHINERS

TeufelHunden
07-09-02, 09:49 AM
...Marines will be Marines. Giving each other **** and yanking each other's chains is ingrained in each of us. It's not about being P.C. at all. IMHO, it's not what this board is all about. Last time I checked, even though the name is leatherneck.com, there was no requirement to show your ID or DD214 at the door. We're not all Marines here.

Suggestion for the masses - If you must, Do it in the Slop Shute.

Remember the site slogan...
Leatherneck.com - Marines Helping Marines!

Just my .02 centavos.

wrbones
07-09-02, 10:05 AM
Midnight, I've come to know most of these folks you been ranting about. They're good people and the kind I want on my fireteam, in my fighting hole, working on the flightline, driving that track, doing recon, or scout and sniper work for me. As far as yer aspersions towards me, perhaps I should beat on my chest just for you. I'm 6'6" 240 pounds of hell and damnation, death and destruction. I can kill with either hand. I've fought five and six at a time bare-handed and beaten, crippled or killed them all. I've been forced to do this more than once. I've never been beaten in any kind of a fight. I never go looking for fights. I will defend my house, no matter what. I always hit what I shoot at. I do the best I can to do what is right, knowing that the right of a situation is not always definable, and that there are sometimes shades of gray between the black and white of good and evil. I know that not all ladies in distress want to be rescued. I try to be respectful towards others and give them the benefit of the doubt. They might just be having an off day. I hope this is the case with you. Posters like that don't last long around here. Freedom of speech is for all, but all Freedoms come with responsibility. We have younger folks in here looking for wisdom and guidance youtowards becoming Marines. We provide it as a group. We have family members coming in here looking for comfort and support for fear for their loved ones in the Corps, We provide it. Other Marines here are to be treated with respect. We've all done our time. You've also slammed on Veteran's who've seen the inside of hell. Rethink your strategy, Marine. We have WWII Veterans, Korean War Veterans and Viet Nam Veterans.We have folks who've been involved with all other contemporary conflicts as well, from Tehran to to Afghanistan. You've just slammed them all. Be careful, Marine. These folks don't just mouth the words Semper Fidelis...They each and every one of them live it. I know. I've seen it. You want to rant and rave, go ahead, but you will show respect for your fellow Marines

JAMarine
07-09-02, 10:23 AM
DON'T WATER DOWN THE BLOODLINE OF THE BREED TO SATISFY
THOSE THAT CAN'T MEET THE STANDARDS.

What's this suppose to mean? "OUR" Bloodline has not been "Watered Down" here Marine. "Our" BloodStripe is Stronger, More Red and Steadfast as it has never been before.

This site is HOME for the many. MARINES, Family, Friends and Wanna-B's.

We come for Friendship, Comfort and Relief. And YES, some do come for advise.

We are MARINES! And we Always Will Be.

There is a time and a place to Talk Trash & $hit. Just make sure who your yakkin with and who else is present.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Welcome Home MARINE

LadyLeatherneck
07-09-02, 10:35 AM
Good thing I've been behaving lately....
SOMEONE GOT THEIR HAND SLAPPED, SOMEONE GOT THEIR
HAND SLAPPED AND IT WASN'T ME...

NAH-NAH NAH-NAH NAH!

Don't take it to heart devil dogs....even I have had
my hand slapped in the past :D

SUCK IT UP AND GET HARD.....EEERRRRRRRR

Shaffer
07-09-02, 10:47 AM
I believe this is getting a little blown out of proportion. First allow me to clarify. YES, this is a site for Marines. NO, this is not a private site for Marines. I do understand what Midnight is saying and where he is coming from. The needs of Marines on this site will come first. However, this is still a public site that is viewed by more than just Marines. Marines can be Marines without posting some of the things that were posted. Understand that there is NO nudity! Whether it be adult, kids or cartoons. As for all the cussing and swearing, we can certainly do without most of it…And using a “$” or “V” to replace letters is no different. I wouldn’t talk like that in front of my mother and I know she reads these forums so I will not talk like that on here in front of someone else’s mother. Bottom line is that we are all adults; if we can’t have fun without posting those types of things then it is very sad.

On another note, for future reference, let’s get in the habit of not calling each other out in the forums. With all do respect to the old salt wrbones, if we have a problem with someone because they posted something, PM or email them…Take it out back! Same with people who may have a problem with what is or isn’t allowed here. If you have a question, comment or problem with it, pound on my hatch.

Now all of y’all give me 40 and get back online!
;)

Semper Fi,
Jerry

JAMarine
07-09-02, 11:05 AM
Dang-It Ifn You Don't Always Set Things Straight!

FI MARINE

Gary
07-09-02, 11:14 AM
Right On Jerry!! Semper Fi Marine

USMC0311
07-09-02, 11:17 AM
Aye Aye Shaffer. I got yer 6 Bro..these scumsuckin mudgrunts got no couth. been wallerin in there own fantisy so long ,think the Men and women should bow to there friggin way of communicating..I am a Combat 0311. asked 4 it...got it and its dun.
I got me a case O the ass towards whinin civilians and pompous Marines..muthers rattelin there own cages makin monkeys outa themselves.

From one GRUNT 2 another "eat **** and Die" Bros..That's the job description, remember..live it or leave it !!

Semper Fi, Marines
Pride, Honor, Integrity, We are the example of our Corps!!

USMC0311
07-09-02, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by LadyLeatherneck
Good thing I've been behaving lately....
SOMEONE GOT THEIR HAND SLAPPED, SOMEONE GOT THEIR
HAND SLAPPED AND IT WASN'T ME...

NAH-NAH NAH-NAH NAH!

Don't take it to heart devil dogs....even I have had
my hand slapped in the past :D

SUCK IT UP AND GET HARD.....EEERRRRRRRR
WTF U know bout hard??? damn rock paintin Maitainance Batallion. No glory in policing the deck..U not even close to the shadow of HARD..
U suck it up Marine!!!!!
How ya like the taste?? Tired of all the BLOWHARD silly wannaB's crap

wrbones
07-09-02, 11:48 AM
leave that stuff to you here on out.

Midnight
07-09-02, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by wrbones
Midnight, I've come to know most of these folks you been ranting about. They're good people and the kind I want on my fireteam, in my fighting hole, working on the flightline, driving that track, doing recon, or scout and sniper work for me. As far as yer aspersions towards me, perhaps I should beat on my chest just for you. I'm 6'6" 240 pounds of hell and damnation, death and destruction. I can kill with either hand. I've fought five and six at a time bare-handed and beaten, crippled or killed them all. I've been forced to do this more than once. I've never been beaten in any kind of a fight. I never go looking for fights. I will defend my house, no matter what. I always hit what I shoot at. I do the best I can to do what is right, knowing that the right of a situation is not always definable, and that there are sometimes shades of gray between the black and white of good and evil. I know that not all ladies in distress want to be rescued. I try to be respectful towards others and give them the benefit of the doubt. They might just be having an off day. I hope this is the case with you. Posters like that don't last long around here. Freedom of speech is for all, but all Freedoms come with responsibility. We have younger folks in here looking for wisdom and guidance youtowards becoming Marines. We provide it as a group. We have family members coming in here looking for comfort and support for fear for their loved ones in the Corps, We provide it. Other Marines here are to be treated with respect. We've all done our time. You've also slammed on Veteran's who've seen the inside of hell. Rethink your strategy, Marine. We have WWII Veterans, Korean War Veterans and Viet Nam Veterans.We have folks who've been involved with all other contemporary conflicts as well, from Tehran to to Afghanistan. You've just slammed them all. Be careful, Marine. These folks don't just mouth the words Semper Fidelis...They each and every one of them live it. I know. I've seen it. You want to rant and rave, go ahead, but you will show respect for your fellow Marines
guess I have to say it again since my stuff either gets sanitized or lost, anywho ------ take it out back! Shaffer

Midnight
07-09-02, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Midnight

guess I have to say it again since my stuff either gets sanitized or lost, anywho ------ take it out back! Shaffer

say again say again
n this time I didn't even use any 4 letter action words, but I figure these 2 is bunkys so's i just cover my six

guess I have to say it again since my stuff either gets sanitized or lost, anywho bones since we'se swappin personnel
stuff I'm 6'1" n over 50. I like walks on the beach, puppies, wimmenz, beer and belt fed gas operated shoulder fired
weapons. I've seen the elephant howz bout you? Tell me that before ya go on about being "able to kill with both
hands". Save that fer the pogues n wannbes.

USMC0311
07-09-02, 12:37 PM

my stuff either gets sanitized or lost, anywho ------
All we got left Bro Iz US!!

Semper Fi, Thank You Brother!!

Midnight
07-09-02, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by USMC0311

All we got left Bro Iz US!!

Semper Fi, Thank You Brother!!
Right back atcha bro.
Semper Fi!

SGT T
07-09-02, 12:50 PM
EVERYMARINE WAS A RIFLEMAN....ALL THIS POG AND WANNA BE STUFF IS MAKING ME SICK....CHECK THIS OUT DEVIL DOGS IF YOU GOT A FRIGGIN CHIP ON YOUR SHOULDER YOU BETTER FREAKIN CHECK IT AT THE DOOR BEFORE YOU GET IN HERE. WE ARE ALL MARINES EITHER PAST PRESENT OR FUTURE BUT BY GOD WERE MARINES....IM AM GOING TO BE ON MY WAY TO ONE OF THE DEPOTS TO BE A DRILL INSTRUCTOR AND ILL BE GOD DAMNED IF THIS IS THE KIND OF **** I WANT THOSE FUTURE MARINES TO BE PART OF. LOSE THE CHIP AND ENJOY THE BROTHERHOOD OF OUR BELOVED CORPS

THE SENIOR DRILL INSTRUCTOR HAS SPOKEN

USMC0311
07-09-02, 12:54 PM
Fi U BAD *****...Good Luck little Brother!!!!

USMC0311
07-09-02, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by TeufelHunden
...Marines will be Marines.

Suggestion for the masses - If you must, Do it in the Slop Shute.

Remember the site slogan...
Leatherneck.com - Marines Helping Marines!

Just my .02 centavos.
Sounds good to me..help keep the place squared away...put all the trash in the ****-Can

Semper Fi, Marines

Midnight
07-09-02, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by SGT T
EVERYMARINE WAS A RIFLEMAN....ALL THIS POG AND WANNA BE STUFF IS MAKING ME SICK....CHECK THIS OUT DEVIL DOGS IF YOU GOT A FRIGGIN CHIP ON YOUR SHOULDER YOU BETTER FREAKIN CHECK IT AT THE DOOR BEFORE YOU GET IN HERE. WE ARE ALL MARINES EITHER PAST PRESENT OR FUTURE BUT BY GOD WERE MARINES....IM AM GOING TO BE ON MY WAY TO ONE OF THE DEPOTS TO BE A DRILL INSTRUCTOR AND ILL BE GOD DAMNED IF THIS IS THE KIND OF **** I WANT THOSE FUTURE MARINES TO BE PART OF. LOSE THE CHIP AND ENJOY THE BROTHERHOOD OF OUR BELOVED CORPS

THE SENIOR DRILL INSTRUCTOR HAS SPOKEN

Last time I checked it took about 10 Marines in the rear with the gear to support ONE GRUNT ON THE FRONT. Thats how it worked and at times a react team was was nuthin more than a pots n pans plt slapped together n fought well. The problem is when thems in the rear start runnin off with John Wayne bullsheet or try to define what they have not experienced as the gospel. Now mebbe you can splain to me me how do one go from being a clerk to an SNCO, ya see cuz I want everyone of those recruits to become a Rifleman, a damn good one cause a lot of lives could depend on it someday.

SGT T
07-09-02, 01:28 PM
ON GOES FROM A CLERK TO BEING A SNCO BY BEING A **** HOT MARINE. SECONDLY WITH OUT THOSE POT AND PAN CLEANERS AND THOSE ADMIN MARINE AND THOSE SUPPLY MARINES THE GROUND POUNDERS WOULD RUN OUT OF AMMO, CHOW, AND REPORTS THAT TRACK ALL THE HOT **** THAT HAVE BEEN IN SO THAT THEY GET CREDIT FOR WHAT THEY HAVE DONE. I DONT TELL BULLCRAP STORIES BUT I SPENT MY TIME WITH THE GRUNTS...1ST BATTALION, 7TH MARINES SUICIDE CHARLEY COMPANY....IN THE THE STUMPS FOR MY FIRST FOUR YEARS....I AM A POG BY TRADE BUT A HARD CHARGING GROUND POUNDER BY HEART...I MAY NOT HAVE SEEN OR BEEN THROUGH THE STUFF THAT YOU HAVE BUT THAT DOESNT MEAN THAT IF THE TIME CAME I WOULDNT STAND BY YOU AND BE APART OF THE THAT. SEMPER FI BROTHER AND REMEMBER.....A MARINE IS A MARINE REGARDLESS OF RANK AND MOS.

wrbones
07-09-02, 01:47 PM
...seen my share of body parts. "..and that's all I'm gonna say about that." Wasn't my purpose to start a fight. Ya wanna play, gonna have to play with yerself. Ya start something and get mad when someone responds in kind...it ain't my problem. Semper Fi, Marines. Folks that run this site'll have to deal with. This thread is closed for me.

Midnight
07-09-02, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by SGT T
ON GOES FROM A CLERK TO BEING A SNCO BY BEING A **** HOT MARINE. SECONDLY WITH OUT THOSE POT AND PAN CLEANERS AND THOSE ADMIN MARINE AND THOSE SUPPLY MARINES THE GROUND POUNDERS WOULD RUN OUT OF AMMO, CHOW, AND REPORTS THAT TRACK ALL THE HOT **** THAT HAVE BEEN IN SO THAT THEY GET CREDIT FOR WHAT THEY HAVE DONE. I DONT TELL BULLCRAP STORIES BUT I SPENT MY TIME WITH THE GRUNTS...1ST BATTALION, 7TH MARINES SUICIDE CHARLEY COMPANY....IN THE THE STUMPS FOR MY FIRST FOUR YEARS....I AM A POG BY TRADE BUT A HARD CHARGING GROUND POUNDER BY HEART...I MAY NOT HAVE SEEN OR BEEN THROUGH THE STUFF THAT YOU HAVE BUT THAT DOESNT MEAN THAT IF THE TIME CAME I WOULDNT STAND BY YOU AND BE APART OF THE THAT. SEMPER FI BROTHER AND REMEMBER.....A MARINE IS A MARINE REGARDLESS OF RANK AND MOS.
well sierra hotel thats still a jump, specially to become a DI, mine were Korea and Nammies all combat seasoned. That impressed the living **** ouuta every boot and it also let us know what we were facing. There's no substitute for experience. DI's job isn't just to make Marines it's to make Marines who will survive combat.
As for the pogues n remfs, well being a grunt ya learn to go hungry, charlies rice tastes preety good after a few days without any rats, water comes outta a puddle, ammo comes offa the dead, and screw the paperwork the remington raiders never got that strraight anyway. C 1/7 didn't get it's name in the stumps, it was the walking wounded in the land of the bad things. Yeah and a Marine is a Marine but that don't make him a Grunt. You might pass that test someday but until you do dont you school me.

NamGrunt68
07-09-02, 01:55 PM

say again say again
n this time I didn't even use any 4 letter action words, but I figure these 2 is bunkys so's i just cover my six

guess I have to say it again since my stuff either gets sanitized or lost, anywho bones since we'se swappin personnel
stuff I'm 6'1" n over 50. I like walks on the beach, puppies, wimmenz, beer and belt fed gas operated shoulder fired
weapons. I've seen the elephant howz bout you? Tell me that before ya go on about being "able to kill with both
hands". Save that fer the pogues n wannbes.

Midnight.....I luvs ya bro !!! Can I play on yer beach, fondle yer wimmenz, chase yer dawg, drink yer beer, and borrow yer M60 !!!!! Hey bro....."It Don't Mean Nuttin".....Like 0311 said....alls we got iz us !!!! Maybe we could get Shaffer to gives us a "Nam Thread" with a warnin where he lists the different forums.....Warning: Do not enter unless you have sniffed the Night Mud !!!! How bout it Jerry.....seems fair to me....

Midnight
07-09-02, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by NamGrunt68

Midnight.....I luvs ya bro !!! Can I play on yer beach, fondle yer wimmenz, chase yer dawg, drink yer beer, and borrow yer M60 !!!!! Hey bro....."It Don't Mean Nuttin".....Like 0311 said....alls we got iz us !!!! Maybe we could get Shaffer to gives us a "Nam Thread" with a warnin where he lists the different forums.....Warning: Do not enter unless you have sniffed the Night Mud !!!! How bout it Jerry.....seems fair to me....
Bro yer welcome to it all, alls I ask is doan bring my pig back dirty.

SGT T
07-09-02, 02:07 PM
IM NOT SCHOOLIN YOU ON ANYTHING....YOU HAVE TASTED AND EXPERIENCED THINGS THAT I CANT EVEN IMAGINE AND FOR THAT I WILL RESPECT YOU AND YOUR VIEWS..ALL I AM SAYING IS THAT GRUNTS WERE NOT THE ONLY ONES EATING RATS AND LIVING IN THOSE PATTIES..GOD BLESS YOU MIDNIGHT FOR THE FIGHT THAT YOU BRAVED FOR DOING THAT YOU WILL ALWAYS HAVE MY RESPECT.

SEMPER FI BROTHER AND GOD BLESS YOU AND ALL LIKE YOU

LadyLeatherneck
07-09-02, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by USMC0311

WTF U know bout hard??? damn rock paintin Maitainance Batallion. No glory in policing the deck..U not even close to the shadow of HARD..
U suck it up Marine!!!!!
How ya like the taste?? Tired of all the BLOWHARD silly wannaB's crap

WTF do you know about my life?!! I've never claimed to be
no COMBAT Marine, but I do claim the title MARINE...EARNED
IT AND BUSTED MY BUTT FOR IT SO if you don't like it as I said

SUCK IT UP AND MOVE ON!!! :mad:

and you can call me a wanna be if you want and all the silly
names you want BUT I KNOW WHO I AM!!!!

LadyLeatherneck
07-09-02, 02:56 PM
If you have a bone to pick with me you send me an email
or a private message.

Shaffer
07-09-02, 03:12 PM
USMC0311 -- your losing points with the women bro...Gonna be hard to get a date talking like that.

Some women demand respect...others have earned it. I know that any WM on here has stood on the same yellow footprints I did and they walked across that same storied parade deck. I would never say any of them was given the title because they weren't. They had to earn it. I gove the WM's credit for 2 things:

1. They chose the Corps. They very easily have taken the easy way out and joined ANY other branch. They didn't.

2. They stuck it out. They didn't give up or quit. How many guys did you lose from your platoon when you went through. We started with over hundred and graduated 50 something. I know at least 10-20 of them were sent home as non-hackers. Every WM have achieved what tens of thousands of men tried, but couldn't.

SF,

Jerry

Midnight
07-09-02, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Shaffer
USMC0311 -- your losing points with the women bro...Gonna be hard to get a date talking like that.

Some women demand respect...others have earned it. I know that any WM on here has stood on the same yellow footprints I did and they walked across that same storied parade deck. I would never say any of them was given the title because they weren't. They had to earn it. I gove the WM's credit for 2 things:

1. They chose the Corps. They very easily have taken the easy way out and joined ANY other branch. They didn't.

2. They stuck it out. They didn't give up or quit. How many guys did you lose from your platoon when you went through. We started with over hundred and graduated 50 something. I know at least 10-20 of them were sent home as non-hackers. Every WM have achieved what tens of thousands of men tried, but couldn't.

SF,

Jerry
Yer not gonna tell us that BAMs should be in combat are ya????

Shaffer
07-09-02, 03:24 PM
Won't tell ya they should or shouldn't be. But...why don't you PM some of them and ask. They may surprise you.

SF,

Jerry

USMC0311
07-09-02, 03:25 PM
Respect ya Shaffer. U a Bad Dog Marine!! U have the insite and compassion of a Gunny..hard ass saviour! got it covered with Ms Neck.I PM her s
tuned and marroned

NamGrunt68
07-09-02, 03:26 PM

Yer not gonna tell us that BAMs should be in combat are ya????

If he is, I do believe weez gonna need a whole nuther thread fer dat !!!!!! LMMFAO !!!! Hey USMC0311.....I do believe I can still smell da night mud on ya, and I bet ya still got yer skeeter repellent strapped to yer steel pot !!!! SEMPER FI BRO !!!

Sparrowhawk
07-09-02, 03:27 PM
I just wish, the women Marines would put the seat back up when they finish!

That's all!!

LadyLeatherneck
07-09-02, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Shaffer
Won't tell ya the should or shouldn't be. But...why don't you PM some of them and ask. They may surprise you.

SF,

Jerry

Well I'll express my opinion on that one...NO!..and weeeeell
...... maybe that's why I CHOSE to sit behind a desk.

Makes me kind of wonder when I professed "feminist crap" :confused: ...someone refresh my memory because
I must be getting old and be suffering from CRS!!!

USMC0311
07-09-02, 03:36 PM
U crazy ***** I was 65 we used the A orange suck.."call the dust"
Air B the heaven earth B the smell..life is just us here in hell
welcome back to wonderland Dane and the rest U mudsuckin eloquent bastards ..Semper Fi,

Shaffer
07-09-02, 03:38 PM
Father and son, both Marines, die too young

This was column in the San Diego Union Tribune by Peter Rowe on the 4th of
July. Is a double sad story. Article

July 4, 2002

Like a marksman zeroed in on a target, Travis Evans couldn't miss.

The 6-foot-5 Montana kid enlisted in the Marines last summer, trailing clouds of
high school glory. He was an Eagle Scout. Prom king. Student body president.
Scholar. Athlete.

Not that he ever bragged to his fellow Marines.

"He didn't need praise, he didn't need recognition," said Cpl. Justin Lappe, Evans'
team leader in the 4th Reconnaissance Battalion. "It was a virtue that not many
people have."

But Evans had a rare history. His military career was inspired by a stranger, a
Marine killed by mortar fire in 1983 Beirut. Lance Cpl. Thomas Evans, 22, left
behind a wife and a year-old son.

"I wanted to know a little about my father," Travis Evans told his platoon last
September. "I never actually knew him."

Evans told his story to me in October, the day before he graduated from the
Marine Corps Recruit Depot. Call it coincidence, call it fate, call it whatever you
like, but I can't resist tales that carry an eerie whiff of deja vu.

This tale, though, goes too far.

On June 6, Evans apparently suffered a seizure while training off Padre Island,
Texas. On June 8, he died in a Corpus Christi hospital.

Like his dad, he was a lance corporal and too young.

Women in tears
Evans grew up in Deer Lodge, Mont., pop. 3,500. Capt. Kevin Hutchison didn't
know the place until he escorted family to Evans' hospital bed and then returned
for services at the First Baptist Church. He found a lovely town reeling from
tragedy.
" 'He was just a good kid' – they said that over and over again," Hutchison said.
"You should have seen the funeral. I've never seen so many beautiful women
crying."

In the local paper, The Silver State Post, the death merited a story and an
editorial. "No one seemed to comprehend that Travis, who was still serving
pizzas at the Pizza Hut a little over a week ago, was gone," read the latter. "It
just couldn't have happened. Not again."

But it did, even though no one is quite sure why.

On the morning of June 6, Evans, a reservist attached to the 4th
Reconnaissance Battalion, leapt from a helicopter into the Gulf of Mexico. He
was roughly 200 meters from shore when something went wrong.

"I asked him a question," said Lance Cpl. Kyle Morris, Evans' "swim buddy" that
day, "and his answer was this gargling sound."

A medic in a trailing safety boat pulled Evans from the water and administered
CPR. Evans was breathing and his heart was beating, but he never regained
consciousness.

An autopsy found that his brain was swollen. "But there was no blood on the
surface of the brain," Hutchison said. "There is no evidence of any kind of
external trauma to the brain."

Evans had no history of health problems.

"He was healthy as a horse," said his grandfather, Ken Evans. "It was pretty
shocking for all of us here."

Pole stars
Fourth of July orators rely on certain stock phrases – "blessings of liberty," say,
or "the price of freedom." Too often, these sentiments echo with the tinny
sound of cut-rate patriotism.
But in times of peril, these notions were, and continue to be, American pole
stars.

At home in Deer Lodge, Travis Evans kept a photo of his father cradling his
infant boy. "I hadn't talked to my mother or my grandparents too much about
my dad," he said back in October. "Maybe now things will be different."

For one Marine family, tragically, things are different and all too similar.

LadyLeatherneck
07-09-02, 03:53 PM
Good post Shaffer....Father and Son are together now
guarding Heaven's Gates.

P.S. By the way... you're pretty slick ;)

USMC0311
07-09-02, 03:54 PM
tell ya what Shaffer U got sum grunt in yer head Bro..U a thinker and a Doer..slick *****
Semper Fi,

NamNuts
07-09-02, 04:10 PM
Life Won't Be Easier For Marines
By: Jim Fiebig
Published: 1971

You have to be a little nuts to join the Marine Corps.

While the Army, Navy, and Air Force are issuing new regulations almost daily (beer in the barracks, no reveille, sideburns okay) to make service life more homey, the Lathernecks aren't giving an inch.

Gen. Leonard Chapman, Maine Corps Commandant, told the New York Times last week:

"The Corps is going to be leaner, tougher, more disciplined and more professional than ever before."

The same uncompromising attitude is contained in the traditional speech given by Marine drill instructors to every newly arrived recruit platoon. As near as I can recall, it goes something like:

"You people are not - I repeat - not Marines. You are not even people. You are little girls, sissies, mama's boys, a breed of green scum so low and stinking that it sickens me to stand this close to you.

"I don't like you. And you will learn to like me even less. You will get down on your knees each night and pray I will die in my sleep. But I will not die, people. I assure you - I will not die.

"I will be over your body every moment of every day. I will run you until you cannot run another step. And then, ladies, we will run some more. You will do things you neverbelieved you could do. You will do them right. You will do them quickly. And you will do them gladly.

"You will do everything exactly as I tell you, people. You will or - by God - you will not be in my Marine Corps."

End of speech.
Now I ask you, is that any way for a service to go about instilling pride in its members?

Ask a Marine.