PDA

View Full Version : Cody Barbour walks in dad's shoes in U. S. Marine Corps

thedrifter
10-02-06, 08:25 AM
Cody Barbour walks in dad's shoes in U. S. Marine Corps

For the past three months I have written columns now and then about Cody Barbour, an Arcadia teen who graduated from DeSoto County High School in June and joined the U.S. Marine Corps, like his dad 30 years earlier.

His story is told through the eyes of his mom, Lisa, who writes to me on occasion about her son's progress. Here's her latest note:

"Dear Mr. Moore,

"Just to let you know, Cody graduated from boot camp at Parris Island, S.C., on Sept. 8. He had many highs and lows. It wasn't easy. He didn't make 'Honor Man,' top Marine in his training cycle, but he worked hard. We are proud of him.

"Cody was in 3rd Battalion, I Company, the same as his dad. That was a big deal for our family. Cody said it was pretty strange walking in his dad's shoes.

"The Marines have changed since his dad was in. We were able to keep up online with what Cody was doing. We were able to send food and when anything happened we got a phone call. This made us feel closer to all that went on.

"The Eagle, Globe and Anchor Ceremony was so moving. Of course, I cried. That was done the day before we had a picnic with Cody. He got to stay with us from 1:30 p.m. until 6:30 p.m. that evening.

"Graduation started at 9 a.m. the next day. Wow! There were 492 Marines all lined up on the parade ground.

"Lots of parents and friends were there. It was beautiful. The Marine Corps Band played some great songs. It was just great.

"Cody came home for 10 days. He is now in North Carolina (at advanced training). He will be training and going to school for nine more weeks.

"We hope to see him after that, but we're not really sure. We are just happy boot camp is over.

"I'd like to say in closing, I have so much respect for all military -- past, present and future. What a job they do for all of us.

"One more thing, I have a POW bracelet. I ordered it in the early 1970s from the (Miami Herald's) Tropic Magazine. I wore it for a pretty long time, but I didn't know anything about the man's name who was on the bracelet: Lt. Col. Peter Fredrickson 3-15-67. He gave his life.

"Keep writing, Mr. Moore, you have so much to offer all of us.

"Thanks,

"Lisa Barbour"

Ellie