PDA

View Full Version : Clash of the Purple Heart

thedrifter
10-02-06, 07:32 AM
Clash of the Purple Heart
Thurston County Commission candidate Kevin O'Sullivan's depiction of his law enforcement version of the award nettles some military veterans in South Sound

By Keri Brenner

The Olympian

Thurston County veterans of the wars in Iraq and Vietnam and earlier battles say they want GOP county commission candi date Kevin O'Sullivan to make clear his law enforcement Purple Heart i s not the sa me as those given to armed forces members.

"We don't object to (O'Sullivan) receiving it," said Earl Grave, quartermaster of Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 318 in Olympia. "But we do object to him putting it on the same plane as a military Purple Heart."

Similarities

The emotional issue surfaced this fall when the county voters pamphlet for the Sept. 19 primary was mailed out. In the pamphlet, O'Sullivan says he is a "career law enforcement officer who put his body in the line of fire and received a Purple Heart."

Sheriff Gary Edwards, who also received a law enforcement Purple Heart, and area police groups say their Purple Heart is just as meaningful as the military one because both groups risked their lives to protect others.

"It's very similar to the military folks in that how they received their injury was in defending their country," said Edwards, a Republican who supports O'Sullivan in the race against incumbent Democratic County Commissioner Bob Macleod in the Nov. 7 general election.

"That's what law enforcement officers do - defend the country and also defend the local peace and tranquility."

Macleod, 78, an Army veteran, said he felt O'Sullivan's statement was "deceptive" because most people associate a Purple Heart with military combat injuries or death.

"This has nothing to do with my perception of law enforcement officers," Macleod said. "I have nothing but respect for law enforcement officers."

He said it was more a matter of O'Sullivan not being clear with the public.

"As a veteran, I know that people, when they hear that, they have that first reaction - that it's a disrespect (to the military Purple Heart)," Macleod said.

'Political opportunity'

Bill Hanson, executive director of the Washington Council of Police and Sheriffs, said he was skeptical of Macleod's motives.

"I think what happened is Bob Macleod looked and saw some kind of political opportunity," said Hanson, whose organization has endorsed O'Sullivan. "I thought it was some kind of sleazy blunder on his part - the whole thing was unfortunate."

In an earlier letter to The Olympian, Hanson said, "Macleod owes not only Kevin O'Sullivan an apology but one to every police officer in the state."

"Law enforcement officers bleed and die just like our soldiers, sailors, Marines and Coast Guardsmen," Hanson said. "They do this for essentially the same reason - for our country, citizens and our flag."

The injury

O'Sullivan, 50, a former police officer in Mukilteo in Snohomish County, was hurt in 1982 when a man attacked him during an arrest.

The man pushed O'Sullivan's leg into a jagged auto body part, tearing an artery. The damage led to a condition called deep vein thrombosis - which carries a chronic risk of blood clots forming.

O'Sullivan received a law enforcement Purple Heart in June 1985, according to a certificate he showed at The Olympian.

"I've talked to tons of veterans, and they said they don't have a problem with it," said O'Sullivan, who served a four-year term as county assessor and then four years as a Democratic County Commissioner from 1999 to 2002 before being defeated by Macleod in a re-election bid.

"This race needs to be about county issues, and how we're going to resolve them - not trying to attack each other," O'Sullivan said.

Veterans' objections

Others, however, agree with Macleod's objections.

Iraq War veteran Lance Caver, 35, of Olympia, a member of VFW Post 318, said he saw his fellow soldiers killed beside him and "one of my friends lost half his head."

"That's the Purple Heart," said Caver on Thursday, who also took shrapnel in his face and is in line for a Purple Heart himself.

"When we hear it, especially a child or a veteran, we assume it's a military Purple Heart," Caver said.

Grave said the VFW post is not allowed to support political candidates or take political stands, so its stance has nothing to do with election. For himself, Caver and Lacey Vietnam vets Ken Wojczynski and Don Farrar, it's not political but personal.

"The Purple Heart's designed for people who got wounded in military action," Wojczynski said.

O'Sullivan said he doesn't remember who nominated him for the award.

Mukilteo Police Chief Mike Murphy said the department didn't start giving out awards until after he became chief in 1991.

"Our records are close to nil before that time," Murphy said.

National groups such as the American Police Hall of Fame in Titusville, Fla., or the Military Order of the Purple Heart in Springfield, Va., were unable Friday to shed light on O'Sullivan's award.

"The Purple Heart is strictly a military decoration," said Bill Bacon, national adjutant of the Military Order of the Purple Heart.

"The law called for Congress to design a similar medal for civilians, which they did after 9/11 for the wounded and killed at the Pentagon," Bacon said.

Statewide group

But Edwards said his law enforcement Purple Heart, which hangs on the wall in his office, was given to him by a statewide group identified as the Evergreen Chapter, No. 1889, Lacey, of the Military Order of the Purple Heart.

His certificate says it was awarded for "outstanding accomplishments in law enforcement."

Edwards, 59, who is retiring as sheriff Jan. 1 after 20 years on the job, said he was injured in 1989 while chasing a robber.

"He busted me over the head with a rifle before I ended up shooting him - and I killed him," Edwards said.

Edwards was nominated by Thurston County Coroner Judy Arnold and received the award in 1995.

"I think they're (Macleod) making a mountain out of a molehill," said Edwards, also a veteran and member of VFW Post No. 318.

"I think Kevin should be recognized for putting his life on the line," Edwards added. "It's unfortunate there's a misunderstanding, but I wouldn't put him down for it."

For Caver, however, the memories of Iraq are too fresh to be overshadowed by a political battle. He returned from his second tour of duty in Iraq earlier this year.

"Not a day goes by," Caver said, recalling his comrades, "that I don't think about those guys."

Keri Brenner covers Thurston County and Tumwater for The Olympian. She can be reached at 360-754-5435 or kbrenner@theolympian.com.

Ellie