PDA

View Full Version : Marine squadron’s mascot awaits their return home

thedrifter
10-01-06, 09:24 AM
Marine squadron’s mascot awaits their return home
October 01,2006
CAROLYN ALFORD
DAILY NEWS STAFF

Hello, friends and neighbors. It is good to see you here.

Bob the Savannah monitor, a very large dragon lizard, laid peacefully in his cage Wednesday at Pet Warehouse on Western Boulevard in Jacksonville. Like so many family members in Onslow County, Bob is waiting for his family to return from duty in Iraq.

Bob is the mascot for HMLA-167, MAG 26, at New River Air Station according to the “Bob Log” kept by Marines in the squadron. While the squadron is deployed, Josh Fox, an employee of Pet Warehouse who specializes in the care of exotic animals, is looking after Bob.

This is Josh’s fifth tour of duty as caretaker for Bob. And it is a duty he relishes. It’s his way of serving those who serve America.

“I can’t do what they (the Marines) are doing, so I just do what I can from here,” Josh says.

Josh usually puts Bob in a cage at the pet store for about a month and then he takes him home for the duration of the tour of duty. The cage in the pet store is small for Bob. But Josh has an 8-foot-by-6-foot cage waiting for Bob at home where he can monitor the monitor as he works with his computers. Bob is also free to see, but not touch, the other exotic critters Josh owns.

Josh estimates that Bob has been around about 10 years based on the “Bob Log.” The log reads “This log book was officially opened by 1stLt Gibson on 18Jul01. J.F. Gibson, 1stLt, USMC.” Like a good baby book, Bob’s height and weight are duly recorded, “30 Mar 05 Bob’s measurements. 20” stomach, 10” neck, 5” between shoulders, 40” length, 10 lbs.”

Bob is also apparently short for Bobbie or Bobbette because “he” is a she. In their log, the Marines often refer to Bob using the female word for dog. Bob has a face only a mother — or a squadron of Marines — could love.

While the “Bob Log” chronicles almost every aspect of Bob’s care, it also chronicles adventures with his comrades. And there are also some colorful outings. Here are a few examples of entries from the log:

“16 Aug Bob ate Capt Kearney’s JAG investigation.

“24 Aug 01 Bob ate some BBQ pork at the O-Club. 1stLt O’Brien.

“01 Mar Bob ate my big toe. I ate Bob ’cause it hurt.

“04 Mar Bob ate Jimmy Hoffa!

“03 Jul 02 Bob ate two (2) mice. Recommend immediate anger management classes.

“10 Jul 02 – 24 Sep 02 Bob fed 1/3 can Monitor Diet each Mon, Wed, Fri. Bob is now over the Marine Corps recommended length to weight ratio and is hereby placed on remedial PT. 1stLt Kirkland.

“20 Jun 03 Bob and 1stLt Norman went head-to-head in a contest of strength. Bob won. (Only because 1stLt Kemp was too scared to take on the beast).

“9 Oct 2003 Col Ashton’s change of command/retirement get together at O’Club. Bob was brandished for all hands to see. He sported a mean look and, when the off going MAG-26 CO presented the dragon a juicy baby rat, Bob did not hesitate. He devoured the creature much to the pleasure of the crowd.

“17 Oct 2003 LCpl Rose felt bad for dressing Bob in dress blues yesterday. He brought him a little white rat for lunch.

“8 Sep 2004 Warrior Court, O’Club. 1stLt Downs and 1stLt Bonneur tended Bob. He was seen crawling backwards along the bar. He gobbled up two mice in about 30 seconds. A good time was had by all, at least what we can remember.

“30 Bob was very p----d this morning. I talked to him about his anger and suggested he visit the Chaplain for counseling. I also gave him fresh water, ½ can of food and a pint of Guinness. He mumbled something about not being Irish but he drank it anyway. I offered him a cigarette but he declined.

“7 Mar 05 Bob’s depression has reached an amazing low. Once again Bob missed American Idol!

“31 Mar 05 During Warrior U today, this is what I learned. Bob does like bananas.

“14 Feb Bob returns to HMLA 167 just in time for Valentine’s Day. Bob needs Tang.

“13 Mar “STOP FEEDING BOB. Bob is a fat a--. Bob should eat twice per week and get off his lazy tail to PT every now and then.

“19 May Bob removed for party at CO’s. Bob enjoyed a small rat for dinner. Conditioning is coming along as Bob was mobile most of the night.

“7 Jul Bob’s conditioning seems to be regressing. Offered Bob a small frog and he refused to move a muscle. Recommend PG11 be filed for possible 2nd BCP assignment.

“14 Jul Bob fed tuna from Geedunk in preparation for deployment to Onslow Beach for squadron picnic. “

On Wednesday evening, Josh put on a glove and roused Bob. Once roused, Bob’s long, forked tongue swished in and out waiting for food. Bob’s species is native to wilds of Africa, but they have the potential to be “dog tame,” according to Robert George Sprackland in his book, “Savannah and Grassland Monitors.” Bob is usually tame, Josh says, but he can also be aggressive. Maybe it is the company, er squadron, he keeps.

Bob’s “interview” with The Daily News is now duly recorded in the “Bob Log” under “What Bob did on his summer vacation.”

Thank you for coming.

Ellie