PDA

View Full Version : Years of waiting end with tribute

thedrifter
10-01-06, 08:45 AM
Years of waiting end with tribute
Sunday, October 01, 2006
Tom Sheehan
THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

CHILLICOTHE, Ohio — Marines in crisp dress uniforms stood at solemn attention. Taps sounded amid the raw breeze of a fall morning.

Another family mourned at an Ohio cemetery yesterday for a loved one lost during war.

But U.S. Marine Pfc. Paul W. Harris wasn’t among the more than 100 Ohioans who have died in Afghanistan or Iraq.

He died nearly 40 years ago. His helicopter was shot down during an attempted rescue of fellow Marines during the Vietnam War.

The 19-year-old’s body was never recovered, and there was no memorial service in Chillicothe, his hometown. But that changed yesterday.

More than 200 people — family, friends, strangers and servicemen — gathered at Greenlawn Cemetery to honor Harris, a 1965 graduate of Chillicothe High School.

"It brings closure," Paul Harris’ sister Elsie Shabazz said after the 1½-hour service. "I just wish we had his remains here."

The sole survivor of the crash, retired Marine Lt. Col. Robert E. Swete, came from his home in Germany for the service. Reliving the memory of March 13, 1967, was difficult. But Swete wanted Harris’ family to know what happened the day Harris and two others died in Quang Tri province.

"Paul was a superb example of an exceptional Marine," Swete told the family. "He was respectful of others and thereby commanded respect."

Swete, Harris, Maj. Peter N. Samaras and Lance Cpl. Virgil B. Terwilliger took off from a base that day to rescue members of a reconnaissance team engaged in heated battle with North Vietnamese troops, Swete said.

The landing zone looked clear. It wasn’t.

"The NVA were waiting for us," he said. "It was a trap. ... We were getting hit all over the place. The aircraft was on fire. The engine stopped, and we crashed."

Swete and a mortally wounded Samaras got out of the helicopter. Swete saw a boot sticking out from the burning aircraft.

"I pulled on the boot. I didn’t know if it was Paul or Virgil," Swete said. "The aircraft exploded and blew me back."

He and Samaras were later rescued, but the major died two days later.

After he spoke, Swete presented Harris’ medals and ribbons, including a Purple Heart, to Harris’ father, Clyde. Later, a color guard from Lima Company, the Columbusbased unit that in August 2005 lost 11 Marines in a roadside bombing in Iraq, presented Mr. Harris with an American flag. Harris’ family thanked Swete for telling them of Paul’s last hours.

They also thanked those who worked over the past year to have a memorial service, including a committee of classmates who discovered that nothing had ever been done for Harris when they were planning last year’s 40 th high-school reunion.

"We forgot one of our finest and bravest," said committee member Dick Schwartz.

Many relatives, friends and others yesterday recalled Harris as a kind, happy young man who worked at the local YMCA and with the publictransit company before enlisting. He was one of 11 siblings.

His brother Michael remembered the anguish of his death and the lasting impressions he left on the family.

"My memory of him is coming home from boot camp," said Michael Harris, a sergeant major in the Army. "We talked about boot camp. The only reason I’m where I’m at today is because of him.

"It took me 20 years to go to the Vietnam Memorial and another three hours that day before I could walk to his spot on the wall. He was a hero. He was my big brother."

tsheehan@dispatch.com