PDA

View Full Version : Will Prior Service Ever Be Recalled? Not Just IRR?

Marinewing
09-30-06, 11:32 PM
The title says it all. Will they ever call back the still eligible former Marines? Those guys who are still in the age and fitness window, but not on IRR. It just seems that a Marine who learned a skill in the Corps, and went on to perfect it over years and years in the civilian world, would be an asset to the Corps during times of war.

There are some obvious reasons why older Marines may not be welcome, but those could be sifted through as it would have to be totally voluntary anyway. Those reasons would be 35 year old Lcpls would bring a certain attitude that 24 year old Lts may not appreciate, and then they tend to have full sized families, more debt, etc.

But again, these things could be sifted through.

Just a thought. . .

crate78
10-03-06, 08:22 AM
Makes sense to me. I'd go myself.

SF
crate

Old Marine
10-03-06, 09:20 AM
Personally, as a 71 year old GySgt, I doubt I would have any more trouble with a 24 Year old shave tail than I did as a 36 year old GySgt. (As long as he followed my instructions)

crate78
10-03-06, 05:27 PM
When were you in PingTung, and what outfit?

I was there in VMF-314 from August, 1958 to March, 1959.

SF
crate

Hornet Handler
10-03-06, 06:35 PM
I talked to a recuiter about 5 weeks ago. He said as soon as I'm with in weight and can pass a PFT I'm gone. I've been out of 8 years!

goat
10-03-06, 09:12 PM
I'd go today if I could, I turn 50 on 03-11-06.

lscarranza
10-03-06, 10:32 PM
I went into a web sit a few wks. back submited an interest form.
I got a reply back . Surprised the h*** out of me.
They replied "We are very interested in speaking to you about proior
service and your M.O.S. please contact your local Prior Service Recruiter at the address below:" My unit deactived in 1992,and i'm
at the century mark in age. It feeels good to know ,they would even consider the possibilty........

crate78
10-04-06, 07:44 AM
What was the website?

crate

lscarranza
10-04-06, 02:20 PM
What was the website?

crate
I guess i should have put in the web site ......Brain F***,.....sorry.
went in thru Yahoo.com. (lower case) in address bar type in
usmcpriorservice(lower case) in results go down to #4 HQMC(click),
next page...top left corner(click) on recruiting ...then(click) on....prior
service..... next page ..fill out request form....and submit at bottom of
page.....

Old Marine
10-05-06, 10:19 AM
When were you in PingTung, and what outfit?

I was there in VMF-314 from August, 1958 to March, 1959.

SF
crate

Can't remember the time frame exactly, but I think it was early 1960 and I was with VMF (AW) 542. Remember drinking a lot of plum wine and trying to ride a water buffalo.

8th&I Marine
10-05-06, 10:42 AM
I would go back in in a heartbeat. I am an 0351 not sure if they need a few of us old corpral's. My soon to be brother-inlaw is over there now with HMM-364.

Cantrell:flag:

crate78
10-06-06, 07:55 AM
Can't remember the time frame exactly, but I think it was early 1960 and I was with VMF (AW) 542. Remember drinking a lot of plum wine and trying to ride a water buffalo.

Actually, I finished out my tour with 542 in the fall of 1959, so It's possible we were in 542 at the same time. What department were you in?

My OIC in Avionics was Capt. Baker, and my main boozing buddies were SSgt.s Dick Wagner, Bill Hawkins, and Jose Coco-Valdez (Joe Valdez for short). I'd have to think on it to come up with some other names.

SF
crate

SSgtOfMarines
10-07-06, 10:33 AM
Prior service won't be called back. But hey, that's not the only way you can make your way over to Iraq. Plenty of opportunities around fellas.

MASTER-GUNS
10-09-06, 07:50 PM
At almost 77 years old I think I have served in my last war. Retirement is wonderfull but if the orders come, they come.

capmarine
10-09-06, 09:29 PM
im 57 and can hold my own.

cplbrooks
10-13-06, 12:21 PM
They will not be calling you back if you are off contract. If you are within the proper age limits using your constructive age you can go back into the reserves. Contact prior service recruiter to make it happen. Constructive age is time you served - real age must be lower or equal to 29. Waivers can be made if you are over by a few years.

This is exactly what i did. I am in the reserves but currently on active duty for six months at my request.

STA0311
10-13-06, 12:25 PM
I just got an Email from MOBCOM...about IRR Recall information...I laughed, I am off contract!