View Full Version : Marine Father Inspired Navy Linebacker

thedrifter
09-30-06, 06:44 AM
Career On Defense
Marine Father Inspired Navy Linebacker

By DESMOND CONNER
Courant Staff Writer

September 29 2006

Tyler Tidwell's dad never pushed him toward military service, probably because Tidwell's mother would have killed him, he joked. But seeing firsthand some of the characteristics Bobby Tidwell attributed to being in the Marines, Tyler thought it would be a good idea to follow in his father's footsteps.

"He was always a role model for me," said Tidwell, a senior outside linebacker for Navy, which plays UConn Saturday at Rentschler Field.

"I saw the things he learned, like discipline, toughness and stuff like that. From a young age, I always thought those were good qualities. I want to have those, too, and the military has been a great place to develop them."

Navy coach Paul Johnson calls Tidwell, 21, an amazing young man because he truly treasures those qualities.

"I think he's a great football player who plays with a great motor," Johnson said. "But he's a heck of a person who comes from a terrific family."

Tidwell is 6 feet 2, 224 pounds, light for the position he plays, but he'll have UConn's attention. He had 19 tackles for losses, including 10 sacks, last season. He was named defensive MVP of the Poinsettia Bowl as Navy defeated Colorado State, 51-30.

He has 15 tackles, including a sack, this season.

"Being a member of the football team at the academy, it's really kind of ironic because it's the best training I've had ... kind of rising through the ranks and trying to become a leader on the team," said Tidwell, from Edmond, Okla. "There's a lot of carryover from football to the military and that helps a lot. That's been a great opportunity as far as learning how to follow at the beginning, then learning how to lead a little bit more as you get older, being in some tough situations with a group of guys."

It is a career that will, inevitably, have Tidwell fighting for his country not long after he graduates in May.

"I'll go to Quantico, Va., as a Marine Corps officer for six months of training and during those six months you put in your preferences for what you want to do," Tidwell said. "As of right now, I'm leaning toward infantry."

After another two to three months of specialized training, he'll likely be deployed to fight in Iraq or Afghanistan.

In 1969-70, Bobby Tidwell was on Marine search and destroy missions in Vietnam. He was awarded two Purple Hearts. He wanted to go back for a second tour but couldn't because of his injuries.

"When my interest in the military began [in middle school], it was a relatively peaceful time," Tyler Tidwell said. "And I don't think you can - if you point your life in that direction - once conflict breaks out, say, `Oh, well no, I'm actually going to have to go overseas and serve and be in an area where there is conflict, I'm not going to do it.' .. Regardless of the situation in the world, you should stick with it."

Tidwell has always been a leader. He was class president for four years and valedictorian at Deer Creek High School in Edmond. He helped the football team to a state title as a sophomore and was captain and all-state as a senior.

Helping others is in his blood.

Tidwell's mother, Linda, and father are retired Oklahoma City police officers. As he looks back, his interest in serving his country in some capacity increased after the events of April 19, 1995.

Bobby worked in the drug unit and was supposed to testify in a drug case at 9 that morning at the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City. The hearing was canceled, so Bobby wasn't there at 9:02 when the bomb that killed 168 people went off. Bobby later supervised the on-site morgue at the bombing scene.

Tyler Tidwell will have at least a five-year commitment to the service after he graduates and he's looking forward to the opportunity, even though his mother, understandably, is uneasy.

"If any mother wasn't, there'd be something wrong with her," Tyler said. "But my mom, I know she's worried about it. She expresses it to me but not so much. I think she tries not to worry me about her worrying."

For now, Tidwell is worried about UConn Saturday. The Midshipmen are coming off a 24-23 overtime loss to defending Conference USA champion Tulsa.

"If we win that game, people kind of step back and say, `Oh, hey, Navy is for real,'" Tidwell said. "It was disappointing to lose that game. Luckily, we have the same opportunity this week against a very good UConn team. This is another opportunity for us to play a really good team, so it's a big game for us."

Contact Desmond Conner at dconner@courant.com.

Ellie