PDA

View Full Version : My Parents just turned TOTALLY unsupportive...

Achped
09-28-06, 09:17 PM
I just signed my 0300 contract and they now believe that "I'm too smart to go infantry" and that "I'm throwing my life away, those homeless vets you see on the corner, I bet they were infantry, that's where you'll be in 40 years."

I'm only 17, so my parents WERE supportive as they both signed me up, my dad somewhat more than my mom, but they were both okay about it. They now feel like I lied to them because at the time I was going to go as an 0231 (Intelligence), but I want to be a grunt. I've always wanted to see action. I've always wanted to be the guy who gets stuff done.

They don't understand that.

So now I keep getting threats they're going to dis-zone (dis-own?) me and kick me out when I graduate (a full month before I ship off) then they're threatening to make stuff up and call the Red Cross and try to get my recruit training delayed by sending me to fake funerals and stuff. They even said they would have no problem sending 10 blank envelopes a day just to depress me for three months if it hurt my chances of earning the title. Oh yeah, they also said they'd send me really depressing letters, stuff like my sister dieing (they actually said that!) or the house burning down or my parents getting a divorce.

All because I chose infantry! :thumbdown

I mean, what the freak? They're saying all this under the guise "We're saving your life", but what's my life if I spend it living someone elses? This is my life, and I'm going to do what I want to do. They don't understand that. They actually believe that I want infantry because I'm suicidal or something.

Every time I talk about the future like my wedding or something like that, I get a "If you're alive" comment from one of them.

No joke, I mean this as the Gospel's truth. My mom has stopped cooking as much dinner as she used to, and buying as much groceries, so I won't be able to get stronger (and hence fail boot). She told me this after I asked why I got about 1/2 a plate of spaghetti for dinner one day.

I mean freaking seriously. This is ridiculous! All because of infantry!!!:tank:

yellowwing
09-28-06, 09:26 PM
Well hey, you got a un-intended head start being a man for yourself. If they are serious of kicking you out, you best get a job and start saving some cash.

You have any Grand Parents or Uncles or Aunts still around?

Achped
09-28-06, 09:28 PM
2 Grandmothers, and an aunt and uncle that would let me live with them no doubt, even for a month.

But, I don't want it to come to that. I mean, what 18 year old kid wants to be kicked out for fighting for his country? To get insulted by stranger hippy groups is one thing, to get death wishes by your parents????

Oh, and I have a job. And they're friends with my manager whom they're trying to make me a Retail Parts Pro (sort of like an assistant manager, pretty high position, especially for only being 17. Even have a key to the place)

Like being an assistant manager to an auto parts store would even remotely compare on the slightest to being a Marine.

yellowwing
09-28-06, 09:31 PM
No doubt it sucks. Basic needs of food, clothing and shelter are a constant. You have to improvise adapt and overcome to provide this for yourself.

Perhaps your folks will change their mind. It still a very good idea to prepare for the worse situation.

cplbrooks
09-28-06, 09:41 PM
Dude, i went through the same thing with my parents when i told them that i wanted to go 0300. My dad flipped out. before i signed the contract my dad actually told my recruiters to get the F*ck out of his house and threw them out. It took 6 months of badgering my dad every single day before he would sign the parental consent form. He only did it under the condition that i was guaranteed avionics. My recruiter got me avionics and my dad chilled out and signed the form. Then on my ship date at MEPS i had them change me back to infantry. I dont ever regret it. I didnt join the corps for job skills or college money etc. i wanted to get some... :iwo: LOL

It all worked out. Dont worry your parents will chill out. They just have to get used to the idea of you dying for awhile. lol

Anyway congrats on going 0300.

Accord
09-28-06, 10:28 PM
It is the infantryman who liberated the Jews from Nazi Germany, it is the infantryman who raised the flag on Iwo Jima. When all options have been exercised and diplomacy fails, it is ultimately the infantryman who carries out U.S. foreign policy and gets the job done.

Guaranteed your parents will be there on graduation day and probably be the proudest ones there.

Master Sephiroth
09-28-06, 10:40 PM
It is the infantryman who liberated the Jews from Nazi Germany, it is the infantryman who raised the flag on Iwo Jima. When all options have been exercised and diplomacy fails, it is ultimately the infantryman who carries out U.S. foreign policy and gets the job done.

Guaranteed your parents will be there on graduation day and probably be the proudest ones there.

You took the words right outta my mouth! This man's absolutely right

Mama
09-29-06, 01:05 AM
It's a hard switch for a parent to go from what they "think" their child will be doing "safely" in the Corps, not realizing that every Marine is a Marine a marksman a hard charger. Doesn't matter...

marinegreen
09-29-06, 04:55 AM
I bet your parents wont do it,there just upset now but they'll come around.

GySgtRet
09-29-06, 05:56 AM
I am little confused on the information in your profile son. You are 21 in your profile or are 17? Suqare that sh** away. Now that I have that off my chest. If your parents were going to do something they would have done it. Half rations, and stuff like that just a tactic. I would not have been kicked out of somebody's house when invited. Keep us posted if possible.

Marine84
09-29-06, 07:55 AM
They're just being parents - they probably have the mindset that infantry = front line - first one in, blah, blah, blah...............they're just being parents. Since you have a job - take care of your own dinner and show them that you can take care of yourself. Even if they do go through the Red Cross when you get there - don't worry - the Red Cross has probably had plenty of parents do this before and you won't get pulled out for just a phone call.

Just let them know that you love them and you're going to do this with or without their blessing. Trust me, on graduation day, both of them will forget about this little fight and will be busting at the seams with pride. Also you'll be showing them that you're becoming a man.

Good luck............

NewOrleansLady
09-29-06, 08:40 AM
:cry: I can totally relate to your parents right now. When my son told me he had enlisted, I totally lost it! "ANYTHING BUT THE MARINES"!!!! I had only month to get used to the idea after he told us he signed up.

I spent that month doing a lot of praying and reading. My son is 19 and had no real direction in his life. He did college for a couple of months and hated it. He had always said he thought the military would be cool. He worked in a shipyard for 6 months with some Marines and retired Navy guys and got more and more serious about the Marine Corps. The way he described it to me is that every Marine he got to know was still proud and didn't regret their decision to serve. He told me that no matter what else happened in his life, he would always be able to be proud of his service to his country. Little by little I've come around and I am extremely proud of his decision!:)

As a side, the Red Cross will do nothing to help your parents without proof of the illness, death, etc. I am a nurse and have had to provide information many times for families to bring loved ones home for those occassions. The Red Cross verifies everything.

Give your parents the link to this website and others like RecruitParents.com. The pride is contagious and the Marines here are great at helping us parents throught Boot Camp and later.

I'm not going to say being a parent is easy. I'm sitting here crying because I haven't gotten my first real letter from my recruit. I can say I am anxiously waiting to see the MAN and the Marine he will become. If he is anything like the Marines I have met so far on here, I wouldn't be any prouder if he was a doctor, lawyer, etc.

I'm rambling now, but take care of yourself.

You're in my prayers.

Achped
09-29-06, 10:26 AM
I am little confused on the information in your profile son. You are 21 in your profile or are 17? Suqare that sh** away. Now that I have that off my chest. If your parents were going to do something they would have done it. Half rations, and stuff like that just a tactic. I would not have been kicked out of somebody's house when invited. Keep us posted if possible.

My profile says I am 17. My post says I'm 17. I'm 17.

Accord's profile says he is 21. He is 21.

ckkinders
09-29-06, 11:02 AM
My parents did the same thing, and I wrote a post about it. People on this site are so awesome as you already know, and they helped me out a lot with this problem. You just have to remember that you are doing the right thing, doing any "job" in the Marine Corps will never be the wrong thing to do. Since August, when I signed my contract(thought I was going reserve and they said I couldn't join unless I went active duty) my parents have gotten used to the idea. They are even planning their trip out to see me graduate(I don't even leave until January). Someone gave me the best advice here, I think it was Mama, that my parents need MY support just as much as I need theirs. This is a hard thing for parents to handle. I prayed about, and I feel like this is what I am being called to do, so I was just patient with my parents. Do the same, and support them as well, and they'll come around. If they don't, it's their loss because they should be very proud of you!!!

As for the moto mail, I know everyone on this site will write you letters if you need us too!!

Keep your head up and just remember the reasons why you enlisted in the first place!!!

ckkinders
09-29-06, 11:02 AM
When do you ship out?

devildoghopeful
09-29-06, 12:59 PM
Your parents are being totally unreasonable. I can kind of understand how they must be feeling, but in my opinion, these threats about fake funerals to delay shipping and sending depressing letters to you in boot are TOTALLY out of order. It looks to me like they're 'clutching at straws' to try to make you change your mind, kind of like these are the last desperate acts of parents who don't want to let go. If you leave, they wont dis-own you, you are their son and just because you opted for a job they don't like doesn't mean they'll break the bonds of parent and child, it's totally irrational. The best thing to do is try not to let it get to you. Even if it does get to you, don't let them see that because they'll think they're winning and go even more on the offensive. If you can, just act as if their threats don't make a d**ned bit of difference, you're still going to enlist whether they like it or not. Personally I would NOT advise going on the offensive and telling them that they can go and f*** themselves, just passively stand by your decision.

I hope this has helped...

I'm really sorry if I've offended or annoyed any parents on this site with this post, it honestly wasn't intentional.

Mike McIntyre
09-29-06, 03:52 PM
http://i1.ebayimg.com/04/i/06/65/70/28_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4444428711&category=38238#ebayphotohosting)

I am a very proud dad of a future Marine but my son’s mom (we are divorced) freaked!!!! She almost had him talked out of it after those two Army Soldiers were tortured. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
If what you say is true, they are being very childish after all they signed you up and ALL Marines are riflemen first. That being said, they are your folks, So show them respect (you will be a man soon enough).<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I recommend that you tell them that they may be right and let everything cool off. Work out and go to all the poolee events. Then ship out as 0300.<o:p></o:p>

After you EARN the Eagle, Globe, & Anchor you may just see that anger turn to tears of PRIDE!!!!!

Kildars
09-29-06, 04:36 PM
Earning the title comes at a price, but it's your life not theres. If you think about it once you ship off to bootcamp if you're going active the Marine Corps will give you room and board and pay -- in a sense you don't rely on your parents at all anymore.

Good luck since you're already DEP'd in don't back out, honor your commitment -- good luck.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-29-06, 05:40 PM
That which does not kill you only serves to make you stronger.

I feel justified in saying that because I've been there. My dad didn't talk to me for about 2 years after I decided to leave the life he had planned for me and enlist. But, when he came around, he went all the way. He ended up bragging to all of his friends about his son the Marine. He even had a Marine Corps flag on his boat just to tick off the retired Vice Admiral that is next to his slip. He is now on a tour of Europe. He was hoping to stop at several of the embassies to tell the Marines thank-you for serving. I'd bet your parents will come around as well.

Accord
09-29-06, 05:44 PM
Sir, I believe you are confusing Achped with me, our usernames are very similar. He is 17, and I am 21.

Achped
09-29-06, 06:08 PM
I wanted to post this earlier but didn't have enough time.

My mom has always hated the Marines, my dad has always envied them. He wanted to switch from the Navy to the Corps when he was in during Vietnam. He hated the fact he was welding the hull up on an aircraft carrier when the grunts in the Marines were "getting some." His disability stopped his plan to switch, and I think he really is bothered by that. I mean, I know he's proud of me. He's really curious as to why I want to go on the front lines when there's a war going on, but I think he knows why....because that's what he wanted to do. I haven't said this to him or my mom, but how can they yell at me for wanting to "get some", when my dad wanted to do the same thing, only couldn't? My dad actually asked his CO in 1972 for permission to transfer to the Marines. His CO told him that the war was about over and by the time he was done with boot and everything he'd have no one to fight. So he spent the next few months of his enlistment just serving his ship. So lets see, my dad asked specifically to go in VIETNAM, which we all know what a mess that was, as a grunt, but he's yelling at ME for wanting just to be Marine Corps infantry, not necessarily go to Iraq. Uhhh??

My mom on the otherhand has HATED the Corps. I kid you not, she was always supportive of me joining the military (I wanted to be Army up until 6 months ago, no joke) and loved the fact I was going to be a soldier. But when I told her that I wanted to be the best, she said "Why the Marines?" I remember as a kid, she'd tell me how harsh they were, how they beat up their own (blood stripes on NCOs) and the whole deal with "pinning" medals into your chest. I remember that like it was yesterday. I grew up being fed this anti-Marine Corps propaganda, thinking they were all psychotic killers who wanted nothing more than to hurt themselves and everyone else they could. The sad part is my mom still believes this. Before she signed the consent form, she totally interrogated my recruiter about the "Hazing" that goes on in the Corps as opposed to the Army. My opinion is that it should go on. It brings a group closer together, something the Congressional Mothers Against Bull**** will never understand, something my mom will never understand. She thinks that I'm either going to fail bootcamp, or die trying. I don't think its because she thinks Im weak or anything, I think its because she feels that the Marines are "those psycho killer people" and that my son isn't one of "those people" and would never be able to fit in with them because she doesn't view me as some rough and tough guy. But....what mom does? Mama, did you look at your daughter and say "Oh yeah, she's such a punk, I bet she'll make it in the Corps?"

And for ya'lls information, my dad has said all my life "The Few....the Proud....The Navy" haha When I earn the title, can I smack him for saying that? ;)

Accord
09-29-06, 08:43 PM
I wanted to post this earlier but didn't have enough time.

My mom has always hated the Marines, my dad has always envied them. He wanted to switch from the Navy to the Corps when he was in during Vietnam. He hated the fact he was welding the hull up on an aircraft carrier when the grunts in the Marines were "getting some." His disability stopped his plan to switch, and I think he really is bothered by that. I mean, I know he's proud of me. He's really curious as to why I want to go on the front lines when there's a war going on, but I think he knows why....because that's what he wanted to do. I haven't said this to him or my mom, but how can they yell at me for wanting to "get some", when my dad wanted to do the same thing, only couldn't? My dad actually asked his CO in 1972 for permission to transfer to the Marines. His CO told him that the war was about over and by the time he was done with boot and everything he'd have no one to fight. So he spent the next few months of his enlistment just serving his ship. So lets see, my dad asked specifically to go in VIETNAM, which we all know what a mess that was, as a grunt, but he's yelling at ME for wanting just to be Marine Corps infantry, not necessarily go to Iraq. Uhhh??

My mom on the otherhand has HATED the Corps. I kid you not, she was always supportive of me joining the military (I wanted to be Army up until 6 months ago, no joke) and loved the fact I was going to be a soldier. But when I told her that I wanted to be the best, she said "Why the Marines?" I remember as a kid, she'd tell me how harsh they were, how they beat up their own (blood stripes on NCOs) and the whole deal with "pinning" medals into your chest. I remember that like it was yesterday. I grew up being fed this anti-Marine Corps propaganda, thinking they were all psychotic killers who wanted nothing more than to hurt themselves and everyone else they could. The sad part is my mom still believes this. Before she signed the consent form, she totally interrogated my recruiter about the "Hazing" that goes on in the Corps as opposed to the Army. My opinion is that it should go on. It brings a group closer together, something the Congressional Mothers Against Bull**** will never understand, something my mom will never understand. She thinks that I'm either going to fail bootcamp, or die trying. I don't think its because she thinks Im weak or anything, I think its because she feels that the Marines are "those psycho killer people" and that my son isn't one of "those people" and would never be able to fit in with them because she doesn't view me as some rough and tough guy. But....what mom does? Mama, did you look at your daughter and say "Oh yeah, she's such a punk, I bet she'll make it in the Corps?"

And for ya'lls information, my dad has said all my life "The Few....the Proud....The Navy" haha When I earn the title, can I smack him for saying that? ;)
Don't tell your parents about your bloodlust and desire to see combat, it doesn't matter if your father was a recipient of the Medal of Honor, just keep those things to yourself and instead when talking to your parents, focus on the brotherhood and other intangibles of being a Marine - but don't bring up your desire to see combat or how badly you want to get some in Iraq, it'll get you no where and just further alienate them and align them against you.

Mama
09-30-06, 12:02 AM
But....what mom does? Mama, did you look at your daughter and say "Oh yeah, she's such a punk, I bet she'll make it in the Corps?"

ummm...nope...
When she told me she wanted to be a Marine and play in teh band...I though "cool she'll be 'safe' armed with a french horn instead of an m-16!" so I got her a tutor...

it was later I found out (graduation day) that even the band members did tours in the litter box!

The PI Band itself has done 3 tours already...so much for "safe"...but she's as gungho as any male Marine I've ever met :)

boomer0351swife
09-30-06, 09:43 AM
I have never understood how parents could do that. Every cycle my husband has had since he has been on the Island, there are always 2 or 3 rcts out of every plt that has parents like that. No, they don't come to grad either and have told their children to find somewhere else to go on leave........So they (the rcts) do, with their new family. There is always their buddy from boot whos parents are HONORED to have them. So don't worry. It may take them awhile to get over it, but you WILL NOT be alone. We take care of our own.

devildoghopeful
09-30-06, 09:50 AM
Boomer0351swife, I just feel that I should say that your last post has really made my day. It truly warms my heart to hear of such examples of brotherhood and friendship. Thank you Ma'am

GySgtRet
09-30-06, 01:47 PM
End of confusion. Thank you.....!!!!

smjone4
09-30-06, 08:11 PM
Hi, I just signed up about 2 weeks ago and had the exact same problem. My parents, mostly my mom, went nuts. She said that I was going to go to Iraq and die so she was going to quit talking to me so she could get used to me being dead. But I know that it is just because she is scared and worried about me. I am 21 so I didnt really talk to her about it before hand and I think that made it worse, but as I said, I am 21, married, with a kid, I think I can decide a few things without help. Just trying to let you know that you arent alone.

GriT
09-30-06, 08:18 PM
Me and a friend are enlisting together. Him and his mother were over the other day along with my mom there and we happened to get on the topic of it and things got blown out of proportion from the start. It didn't end nicely. They aren't supportive of our decision either.

Not worried though. This is something I wanted to do since I was 13 and I'll stop at nothing to become a MARINE.

Barret
09-30-06, 09:11 PM
Sometimes, you have to live the Marine lifestyle. When life deals you a ****ty hand, just grin and bear it.

Mama
10-02-06, 01:48 PM
I live in the middle of the country with not enough PTO time to make it to graduations...however, if anyone ever needs soemwhere to go on leave...
My door is always open to y'all :)

KC's got some cool stuff to do and all kinds of really awesome Marine recruiters!

I love Sgt South...Kaydra's done with MCT and he still calls now and again to check on "Mama" LOL

Anyhow...I'm good for a few letters while you're in boot as well so send those addresses to me! I'll share 'em with the Marines here as well :D

You get 'em

quillhill
10-02-06, 02:06 PM
Absolutely. I'm there with Mama. Actually, I've been bad lately, there are a couple Leatherneck recruits at training that I need to write. But, I will help out any recruit (or newly minted Marine) as best I can. I will write you at boot camp. Heck yeah. And I will even send you Oreos to get you through that long 10 days of leave after boot. Haha.

But, seriously, there are tons of people here who believe in what you're doing. I know it doesn't make up for your parents lack of support. But, it can get you through. And I suspect that, like many others have said already, the minute you are worthy of being called a Marine, your parents will be extremely proud of you. They will adjust to the idea in time. You've gotten tons of good advice at how to deal with your parents and I suspect, since you know them best, you've also been developing a strategy to deal with it that you know will work well.

At least you have someplace to turn with people who understand what you're going through. Thank goodness for this site.

devildoghopeful
10-02-06, 02:18 PM
Well said Quillhill. I've decided that I should send some letters to Leatherneck.com recruits when they go in...I wonder what the Drill Instructors will say to International Mail? ;)

Achped
10-03-06, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the support everyone, my parents have sort of come along, but its still 8 months away and I'm sure they'll have another blow up before I leave again.

I'll definitely have a relative or someone post my address on here for you all to write to.

PLEASE no "I heard your DI was a panzy" messages written on the outside of the envelope. :evilgrin: :D

yellowwing
10-04-06, 04:27 PM
Good to hear! Hang in there.

RLong808
10-04-06, 05:23 PM
I am the wife of a Marine who got out in May of 2004 and he was infantry...he was in 6 combat zones or as you all say he did 6 tours and i thought thtat was strange because i am ignorant when it comes to the military...people dont realize the secret things that go on...however, what you parents are doing to you is all wrong.......My husband is now an electrician and makes 42 dollars an hour and he was a grunt for 4 years......You can be somebody and he got where he is because people (employers) love the fact that you were and still are and always will be a MARINE and proud of it.....You tell them you will be something and use my husband as proof and tell them you love yorself too much and they have taught you better as your parents than to become a failure....See, tell them what good parents they have been and that they have in deed taught you better than to be a BUM on the corner with no one to love him.....If they still dont support you tell them your heart will be like the BUM on the corner in the sense that he feels no one loves him to take him in because you will have no one to love you but you will have more in life than to beg for anything. ONLY because they have taught you better ...remember that part. Semper Fi and good luck! Not only that but my husband and i have 3 boys and live in a huge house because he came out and wanted something for himself like I'm sure you do....You go fight and come home .....You will live to be someone because i can tell yo are not a failure and do not sound like one......What you are saying makes more sense than what your parents are telling you.

Static_Sky25
10-04-06, 05:49 PM
2 Grandmothers, and an aunt and uncle that would let me live with them no doubt, even for a month.

But, I don't want it to come to that. I mean, what 18 year old kid wants to be kicked out for fighting for his country? To get insulted by stranger hippy groups is one thing, to get death wishes by your parents????

Oh, and I have a job. And they're friends with my manager whom they're trying to make me a Retail Parts Pro (sort of like an assistant manager, pretty high position, especially for only being 17. Even have a key to the place)

Like being an assistant manager to an auto parts store would even remotely compare on the slightest to being a Marine.

ask one of your relatives to stay with them (help them finacially since you got a job) and just tell your parents that if that is the way they want things you won't stand in their way, then if they do send you mail DO NOT OPEN IT, I'll write you to keep from reading that trash if need be. Long story short your exactly right, you can't live someone elses life. Then you'd be a Liar. And despite my previous impression of you, you Know what you want and your taking it so you got enough balls in my book. if you should so choose to have me write PM me and I'll send along my addy so you can let me know when you hit boot and your addy... for what it's worth, you got family here. No matter what your parents do

Joe

Sea Doo
10-05-06, 01:53 PM
How sad to hear about how your parents are handling this. For you sake I really hope they come around. My son has signed up for the infantry. I was scared at first, but I've had a couple of months to really think about it. This is what he really wants, and I am very proud of him. He goes to boot in February. I wish you the best! Keep your tailgate up!

Marine Shu
10-29-06, 11:01 PM
So, I was going to Dep-in my junior year of high school. I took the ASVAB, and I went straight to the Marine recruiter. After talking to SSgt, (now Gunny) Lozano every week for about a month, I got my dad to go in with me. At first, he was kinda apprehensive, but he warmed up to the whole deal. When we presented it to my mom, she wigged out. She was saying that she would dis-own me, and all sorts of things. When my recruiter called for me one night, she answered and the next day, he said that, as a Marine, he has never heard such language! Anyway, we all decided that I should try college first, so I did. I went to a community college for 1 year, but i just couldn't get my mind off joining the Corps. About a month ago, I started hinting towards my fiancee that I was still interested. (She was in the Dep, but had some Dep-ending medical issues) I made sure that she was 100% behind me in this decision, and I called and made an appointment at the RSS. As soon as I got off the phone, with an appointment scheduled for the next day, I called my dad. He said that he knew I had been thinking about the Corps for at least 3 years, and he was proud. We still haven't told mom yet. But I think that if she sees that everyone else is okay with it, then she wont have any problems. I apologize for droning on there. :iwo:

cplbrooks
10-29-06, 11:41 PM
So, I was going to Dep-in my junior year of high school. I took the ASVAB, and I went straight to the Marine recruiter. After talking to SSgt, (now Gunny) Lozano every week for about a month, I got my dad to go in with me. At first, he was kinda apprehensive, but he warmed up to the whole deal. When we presented it to my mom, she wigged out. She was saying that she would dis-own me, and all sorts of things. When my recruiter called for me one night, she answered and the next day, he said that, as a Marine, he has never heard such language! Anyway, we all decided that I should try college first, so I did. I went to a community college for 1 year, but i just couldn't get my mind off joining the Corps. About a month ago, I started hinting towards my fiancee that I was still interested. (She was in the Dep, but had some Dep-ending medical issues) I made sure that she was 100% behind me in this decision, and I called and made an appointment at the RSS. As soon as I got off the phone, with an appointment scheduled for the next day, I called my dad. He said that he knew I had been thinking about the Corps for at least 3 years, and he was proud. We still haven't told mom yet. But I think that if she sees that everyone else is okay with it, then she wont have any problems. I apologize for droning on there. :iwo:

What difference does it make what your mom thinks about it? She will never be on board. It is time to be a man and make your own choices. Just do it. Let us know when you get back from MEPS. Also, dont get married until you have been in for at least four years.

Hobson
10-30-06, 01:39 AM
What difference does it make what your mom thinks about it? She will never be on board. It is time to be a man and make your own choices. Just do it. Let us know when you get back from MEPS. Also, dont get married until you have been in for at least four years.

I agree and disagree CPL -- run it by your mom but do not let her saying no stop you, she is still your mom and you will always be her little boy. If she says no well just hope she warms up to it but at least you didn't just sneak off and go to bootcamp. Good luck in whatever you choose, and yeah don't get married until you've been in four years.

S/F

WanderWannabe
10-30-06, 06:14 AM
I know EXACTLY what you're going through. What my parents did when I was 18 to get me kicked out of the DEP was inexcusable. First thing you need to do is call MEPS and get in touch with somebody, so that your parents can't call them and screw you over.

Marine Shu
10-30-06, 11:21 AM
I went to MEPS 2 weeks ago, like I said, everyone knows about it except for my mom. I will tell her about it eventually, but at that point she will either have to accept it or not. As for getting married, I'm doing it in June as scheduled.

WanderWannabe
10-30-06, 11:40 AM
I wish you luck on both accounts. I'm already married, and it's not going to be easy.

David Becker
10-31-06, 10:17 AM
To be a grunt is a noble profession. Your parents hear horror stories about grunts and don't want their son to be just a memory. What your parents don't realize is that not every Marine that goes into combat bites the dust.
I surved in a helicopter outfit when I was in the Corps. It was understood then, like now, that everyone that joins the Corps is an 0311 first and secondly what ever there MOS dictates. I went air wing ack in 1967 because my father was in the air wing back with Pappy B, back then when it was still VMF-214. There were many times while I was in that I would see the grunts in action and it would make the buttons on my shirt pop off. Some times I would even wish that maybe I should have been a grunt. I have a son that signed up on the delay program to become a Marine in July of 2007. He's Gung Ho! This son is 17, he's from my second wife. My wife fought hard for him to join the Navy or the Army. After she saw the Navy and the Army recruiters she opened up to the Marines. Your parents have to stop and think of the fact that you will be trained with the best, and that you will be the best. If they already signed for you, there's not much they can do to stop you from completing your goal. Good luck with your career. Hang in there!

Kelly18speed
10-31-06, 11:20 AM
My profile says I am 17. My post says I'm 17. I'm 17.

Accord's profile says he is 21. He is 21.
The Gunnery SGT. needs to be addressed correctly, and with just a little respect.

USMCVet1992
11-01-06, 11:07 PM
Don't listen to anybody that tells you that an 0300 series Marine has no future! Most of my friends are Former 0311's, 0321's and a few high speed low drag Force guys as well. ALL of them are highly successful in what they do now. I have friends that are weapons instructors such as myself, some that are contractors, some that are Police officers and some that are managers in different industries. Whether you are Admin or Infantry, Division Recon or Force Recon, once you earn the title United States Marine, nobody can take that from you, and there is nothing that brings more pride to tell someone you served your Country in my beloved Corps! The title of United States Marine is a coveted one which many seek, yet only a few achieve. Dont give up on your dreams and dont let anybody tell you the choice of 0311 is a poor one, that is crap! Choose your path, work to earn the Title and then stand proudly in front of all who doubted you and let them look at you in awe and envy! Good Luck, and follow your dream!

When the time comes, you will not rise to the occassion. You will revert to your default level of training...

:usmc: SSD