PDA

View Full Version : Asvab

hellsangel1928
09-28-06, 07:20 PM
What is the best way to help someone study for the asvab, I'm trying to get a buddy enlisted and he got through medical fine but cant seem to pass the test. Anything will help thanks.

chapman
09-28-06, 08:05 PM
I don't understand why some people can't pass it... you only have to score a 31... that's a very, very low F. In all honesty, anytime a kid comes in who hasn't passed his ASVAB, the recruiters just talk trash about him and laugh the second he leaves the office... The test is on a 10th grade level. What's the problem? Is it electronics? Mechanical knowledge? The Assembling part? We need to know where he's having trouble if we're going to try to help...

Marine84
09-28-06, 08:27 PM
I just wish that I could remember that far back....................

Christiansen
09-28-06, 08:37 PM
Three things:

http://www.nmvfc.org/assets/images/slow_sign.jpg

Don't rush it.
http://bookstore.petersons.com/books/images/covers/asvab.gif

Get one of these

http://www.advertisementave.biz/images/256x192/slimjim-2.jpg

SNAP into a slim jim just before the test.

Sorry for the double post... can someone please delete that?

PooleeWill
09-29-06, 12:38 AM
As a poolee (I hope I dont get yelled at but please let I am just telling honest truth here) I actually did bad on the first time as low as a 34 and at MEPS they sat me down and said "you have 2 choices. Your first choice is infantry, and your second choice is open contract." I said I will come back to retake it again next month which I did after passing the physical exam. So for that month I went down to the library and grabbed a book on the ASVAB and studied real hard almost every night came back the next month and scored a 50, which is a better improvement from what I had did before. As a matter of fact they told me that I might have to retake it since I scored higher than last month but that never ended up happening.

PooleeJon23
09-29-06, 11:43 PM
Honestly just take it...I took it last year at my school just for fun cuz it got me out of 1st and 2nd period. This was before USMC had even crossed my mind...noone studied it was more fun. I got an 88 and I didn't know hardly any of the mechanical or all that. Basically don't stress..ya either know it or you don't. Being good at math helps a lot though

torched
09-30-06, 08:37 AM
from what i heard the ASVAB is nothing but algebra and mechanics among other things but its one of them tests that will make you think

MackMaster
09-30-06, 09:59 AM
PooleeJon23 was pritty much right. I also took it just to get out of school. I didnt know anything about the test at all, much less study. But I still got an 85 on it. Because the test is mostly just common sense and logic. I guessed on all the mechanical questions but still quallified for all thoughes jobs, you just have to put 2 and 2 together. Speaking of 2 and 2, math is the most important part. I had a friend who failed the first time, then he spent an hour studying a basic algebra book and he got a 40 the next time he tested.

P.S. If your going to San Diego, I'll see you in boot pooleejon23. I ship 19 days befor you

torched
09-30-06, 10:06 AM
my uncle's friend when he took it he got a 51 and his best was the mech portion

hawks
09-30-06, 10:21 AM
I didnt study at all for it, its pretty basic stuff. I got an 86 or 89 on it, I forget which one, but it was cake. The math is easy. The english is pretty easy, just read it and take out the main point.

torched
09-30-06, 10:32 AM
when i take it i dont know how good i will do on the mech part but everything else is pretty simple for me

WJason777
09-30-06, 08:45 PM
I took it in high school and scored a 15 but my line scores was high. When i made up my mind that i wanted to go enlished first i had to take the asvab over and i made a 35 but my line scores are line in the mid 90s.

dodint
10-01-06, 11:51 AM
Just a reminder, the AFQT score that you guys keep talking about only includes the Math and Word Knowledge/Comprehension parts.

The ability to know the Mechanic/Wood Shop portions will only contribute to a good line score in that area, and has no bearing on actually getting in. It only helps for placing you in a specific job.

The short of it is, work on the math and reading parts, and let the rest fall into place. It is an aptitude test, afterall. If you can't tell the difference between a Miter Saw and a Jig by now, you probably don't want those jobs anyway.

Oddly, for the USMC, it seems anything over 50 is good. In my experience, my high GT score was more impressive to my recruiter than the high ASVAB score. GT is the Word Knowledge, Paragraph Comprehension, and Arithmetic. So, in my opinion, study for those the hardest. I used the ARCO book Christiansen posted above. But any kind of studying in those areas will help. The second time I took the ASVAB I practiced using the full length test on ************* (I had to retake the ASVAB because it expires after two years) I scored a 96 both times, with a GT of 139.

EDIT: Nice. Blocking out the what is probably the second best resource on the internet for joining the military, seemingly because they happen to be ad space competition. Really mature productive policy in use there. Good luck POOLees. :thumbdown

Bass
10-06-06, 10:01 PM
Take the practice test along with a tutor. Thats what I'm doing now, I get community service hours for helping kids pass the ASVAB for my recruiting station. I scored a 91, and all I did was just go in and take it. My advice is:

1. Get some help and a practice test
-Anything you dont know, you can look up and memorize for the next test
2. Take all the time that they give you. Don't rush anything.
3. Write stuff down, or draw it out.
4. Don't stress, just take your time.

If you have any questions or need any help, just let me know.

:banana:

SgtGorman
10-07-06, 11:08 PM
Hahaha.. It is possible that people cannot pass the ASVAB test. Well, there is no pass or fail; it is just not enough score to meet the minimum requirement.

I just took it about two weeks ago, and I didn't make it. The Officer Candidate Application requires as a minimum of 74; but I got 68. I intend to go back and take it again in two weeks. Obviously, I didn't take after 5 years...therefore, the formats have changed several times. If you can do all the math protion correctly, you can meet the minimum score for enlistment. It is 40% fromt he math protion, and 60% from the verbal portion.

Well here is the material you can study for free.
Thomson E-book for Military Members only, but I give to you: http://www.petersons.com/pdf/free/MasterASVAB.pdf
Also taking online exams: http://www.petersons.com/testprep/code/prompt.asp?sponsor=8&referer_type=EG&test_id=5 (email me for the activiation code)
ASVAB both Online and Offline: www.asvab.us (There is a download software for ASVAB; which is the same version at OSO or Recruiting Office).
Military . Com : also offer free practice test: http://www.*************/ASVAB