PDA

View Full Version : Which Way Should I Go?

LEADEROFMARINES
09-28-06, 05:36 PM
As usual I turn to my "Fireteam" for advice so here it goes. I've been in the Marine Corps now for almost five years with no signs of slowing down, or at least I think so! Now comes the time to move foward into the world of the "B" billets. I would love to be a recruiter because I spent alot of time doing "RA" and it felt so natural. It flowed so easy and I was really good at it. It's a pride like no other to see one of your poolees in the fleet. Now here's the dilema. Alot of Marines who have known me for what seems like forever now, have expressed their concern about my becoming a recruiter. Not that they don't think I could do it but I guess they just can't see me as one. I feel a little sad that there's no faith in my ability. Reminds me of when certain people thought I wouldn't make it past bootcamp. Guess I showed them! LOL So I ask for you input on what you think I should do. (Marines who have know me since I first came on, please speak up!)

GySgtRet
09-28-06, 06:27 PM
You pose a very good question. As you know by my profile I was a 8411 "B" billet Recruiter. I was single as a recruiter and had a great time maybe more of a good time than a Marine SSgt should be allowed to have, none the lesee that is what it is. I would ask myself where would I go as a recruiter I am not sure how you would be placed these days. I certainly wasn't placed in my hometown, but I am glad that I wasn't. I wouldn't get too wrapped around the axles about where you go so much as your sucess as any "B" billet you qualify for. COnsider your finances if you are going recruiting. ALso, the amount of time is probably equal as far as your duty day. It was very rewarding and succesful for me on recruiting duty. So I would advise that of course. I am interested in how the Drill INstructors will react becasue Recruiters and Drill Instructors are who the young men and women see as a first impression and so do the moms and the dads.

Good luck grasshopper in your quest for the truth.

Semper Fi

Ed Palmer
09-28-06, 06:35 PM
do what your heart tells you
if you beleive in it it cant go wrong

hrscowboy
09-28-06, 06:39 PM
Hahahahahaha you just dont believe in what ole Cowboy says.. I am glad you started this Poll because you will see i was right after all. Orahhhhhhhhhh Semper Fi Sgt..

outlaw3179
09-28-06, 07:20 PM
Have you considered MSG duty? Every Marine I have known hat has been a MSG guard has had a blast. Its a tremendous responsibilty and something I really really regret not doing after my first 4. Recruiter and especially Drill Instructor are extremly awesome billets, but from what Ive heard , you really really work your ass off. Not saying that MSG dont , but ill be honest with you , some of my recruiter friends have told me they almost would have rather gone DI, or MSG.

rktect3j
09-28-06, 07:51 PM
Well It sounds like you want to be a recruiter. If that is the case then just go for it. You seem to have a bit of a knack for it from what I have seen here. You gotta follow your heart on this one but from what I read I voted for recruiter.

Semper Fi.

greensideout
09-28-06, 08:26 PM
I would guess that the recruiting slot would fit your personality very well EXCEPT---LOL---you also like to jump in and sound off, motivate, and take the lead. Little Johnny and Jane do not always respond well to that. You also have to deal with mama and daddy. They often want other things for their kid to be persuing. Then of course there are the anti-military teachers working against you. Can you often overcome those things? Of course, but do you want to spend your time baby sitting?

I vote for the Drill Instructor School!!!

(FYI---I spent two years as a recruiter for the Army. I got a car, fuel, Pro-Pay and was well liked and very sucsessful in getting the numbers. Warm bodies is the name of the recruiting game. I often wished that I had taken a different course.)

WEAR THE SMOKEY BEAR!

MillRatUSMC
09-28-06, 09:38 PM
OK the question is Recruiter or Drill Instructor?
Both demanding but highly priced MOS's of the Corps.
A recruiter for some is the first contact with the Corps.
As a recruiter, you will work long hard hours, some by yourself, other times with another recruiter or support personnel.
Times, you will get questions that you might think are dumb or outright stupid.
But as in the rest of the Corps, you might be required to reply or get a reasonable answer.
As a Drill Instructor, you will spent long hours, passing on knowledge of the Corps.
Many of those hours, you might also be yourself.
Now drawing from my experience as a Primary Marksmanship Instructor, they are long but the end results repay those long hours spent-ed teaching or passing on one's knowledge to future Marines.
That year of working at Edson Range, were or are my best memories of doing one's duty as a Marine.
Working there, I had a great deal of experience working with Drill Instructors.
I came away understanding how demanding their jobs were.
One highlight of doing that labor of love, was having Drill Instructor requiring, if I was available, would I take their recruit platoon.
With an invitation like that, "How could I refuse".
Even if I had just finished training another recruit platoon that friday.
As we would pick up recruit platoons on Saturday of the week before they started marksmanship training.
Now LEADEROFMARINES, you're asking one to choose, on two fine jobs in the Corps.
I would answer look deep inside and where your strenghts would best be suited or valuable to the Corps...

Marine84
09-28-06, 09:44 PM
DI girl! Knock 'em dead.............:evilgrin:

J-Ro
09-28-06, 10:46 PM
I would guess that the recruiting slot would fit your personality very well EXCEPT---LOL---you also like to jump in and sound off, motivate, and take the lead. Little Johnny and Jane do not always respond well to that. You also have to deal with mama and daddy. They often want other things for their kid to be persuing. Then of course there are the anti-military teachers working against you. Can you often overcome those things? Of course, but do you want to spend your time baby sitting?

I vote for the Drill Instructor School!!!

(FYI---I spent two years as a recruiter for the Army. I got a car, fuel, Pro-Pay and was well liked and very sucsessful in getting the numbers. Warm bodies is the name of the recruiting game. I often wished that I had taken a different course.)

WEAR THE SMOKEY BEAR!

I second that...
:cool:

J-Ro
09-28-06, 10:49 PM
DANG!!! I can only vote once...

DI...!!!

semperfiman
09-28-06, 11:00 PM
bro, if you stay in long enough, you may be able to do both

semperfiman
09-28-06, 11:03 PM
sorry i just read your profile forget about that bro stuff Semper Fi

marinegreen
09-29-06, 05:48 AM
Its your career,you make the decision ! You call yerself leader of Marines,then lead goddammit,lead with your heart and not by what others think you should do,Leaders dont get rank by following.

MASTER-GUNS
10-05-06, 04:35 PM
Not knowing you or how well you can talk to people it is difficult to advise you. You should know that a recruiters job is not from 0800 to 1600. You will spend many long days and evenings just to make quotas. The rewards are there if you are sucessful and can hurt your career if you are not. You will selling a very tough product and if you thing you sell ice cubes to an eskimo go for it. Good luck no matter which way you go.

MASTER-GUNS:)