PDA

View Full Version : Round Rock son killed in war on terror

thedrifter
09-27-06, 07:30 AM
Round Rock son killed in war on terror
9/26/2006 10:49 PM
By: Hermelinda Vargas

Faith and Mike Zimmerman are mourning the death of their son Chris.

Marine Sgt. Christopher Zimmerman was killed in a gunfight with Iraqi insurgents in Fallujah last Wednesday. Zimmerman, 28, was a member of a reconnaissance unit based out of Camp Lejeune, N.C. He was a graduate of McNeil High School, where he also played football.

"He was absolutely the most normal boy. Always full of fun, always, always. Even from a very young age, Chris was protecting his little sister and then when he had more little sisters, and a little brother. Of course, sometimes, he was very good at giving noogies," Faith said.

Zimmerman's father, Mike, was in the U.S. Air Force.

"He came home and he said he was joining the Marines. And I said, 'Why the Marines?' He said, 'Because they're the best,' " Mike said.

"I was blessed enough to speak with him two days before he died. He called and we were able to speak for about 20 minutes. And he was so upbeat. He was absolutely thrilled that he was coming home soon," Faith said.

Mike didn't talk to him, but he did receive a voicemail that same night. Mike and Faith are divorced.

"The times that I was able to speak to him while he was in Iraq, he was always extremely up," Mike said.

Chris graduated from McNeil High School in 1996. Soon after, he joined the Marines. He served five years at Camp Pendleton, Calif., and then got out to get married.

The wedding didn't happen so compelled by the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks, he re-enlisted.

"Chris was just wanting to make a difference. He felt like that was nothing he [wanted] see happen again. And he felt like he could make a difference," Faith said.

The Zimmermans did not want to share their feelings on the war, but they shared Chris'.
"He had told me many times, if he had to go early, this is how he wanted to go," Faith said.

Family and friends of Sgt. Christopher Zimmerman will celebrate his life at several events. Plans include a visitation at Beck Funeral Home on Wednesday. Services will be held at the United Heritage Center at the Dell Diamond on Thursday at 1:30 p.m.

After the gravesite ceremony is finished, there will be a Remembrance and Celebration at the American Legion Hall in Round Rock, starting around 5:30 p.m. Everyone is welcome to attend that event with the family.

Ellie