PDA

View Full Version : Marines talk to their college contemporaries

thedrifter
09-27-06, 06:22 AM
Marines talk to their college contemporaries
From Iraq. A frank discussion on military life, the war, the need for Easy Mac.
Wednesday, September 27, 2006
By MICHELLE PITTMAN
The Express-Times

BETHLEHEM | A dozen Marines stationed in Al Asad, Iraq, flirted with the female Lehigh University students Tuesday in the audience of Whitaker Lab.

The American soldiers goofed off for the camera, but turned serious when they discussed the war effort.

"I really don't think we've bonded with the Iraq community," one said. "But we have good guys here. We deal with Iraqis on a daily basis. They're becoming friendlier. They're more likely to identify insurgents and weapon caches."

"They have a different lifestyle. They don't know about Xbox," another soldier pointed out. "We have to have a certain level of tolerance. When's the last time you had to drive completely around a city because a million people had gone there to pray? I think they see that we're trying to respect them."

Lehigh University students and staff had the rare opportunity to talk with the soldiers in Iraq as part of a live videoconference. For more than an hour, the Marines fielded previously submitted questions about day-to-day life in Iraq and their feelings about the war.

Economics professor Frank Gunter spent 13 months in Baghdad as a military economic consultant. The Marine reservist returned to the States in May.

"The thing that surprises me is how much these men are just like the students I have here," he said. "They're the same age. They have the same interests and goals."

The soldiers did not give their first names. They hail from New Jersey, Wisconsin, Florida, New York, Washington, South Carolina and Alabama.

When asked if they felt the media fairly portrays the war in Iraq, the Marines gave a resounding "no," but they pointed out that much of the good work they do is off-limits to media outlets.

"We can't tell them everything we're doing," one corporal said. "We can't tell you what we do day to day because of security. But every day you see small differences. There are buses running in the cities. You see people walking to work. There's more normal activity. But I guess bad news, deaths and bombs, sells more."

The soldiers said military life has its ups and downs. They get to meet celebrities and enjoy some major monetary bonuses, and they never have to worry about what to wear. But they also live with the threat of violence and poor communication with friends and family.

"So you have a paper due in a few days. So what? At least you're not getting shot at," one said. "You have to learn how to deal with that stress or you end up taking it home with you. Violence just becomes part of your day, like waking up and hopping in the shower."

"I feel safer here than I do in Camden or Center City Philadelphia," another corporal said. "I have two weapons with me all the time here, and I know that the guy next to me and the guy behind me is here for the same reason -- to make this a better place, to improve a bad situation."

"The hardest thing to get used to is the heat. It gets up to 140 degrees," said a lance corporal from Middlestown, N.J. "I don't know that you can get used to it. There's no way to describe it. We're in full uniforms all the time. There are no shorts, T-shirts or air conditioning. Then at night it drops down to 70 degrees and you'd think we were freezing. Everyone's wearing gloves and hats and hoodies."

Graduate student Kate Meinan asked the Marines when they thought they'd be coming home and when American troops might get pulled from the Middle East. The answer she got was that they'd be there while she was collecting Social Security.

"There's not going to be a time frame, and I think they've made peace with that, and they've moved on from it, maybe more than a lot of people here have," she said.

The Marines said they've seen enough yellow ribbon magnets and they'd like people to step up their efforts in supporting the troops.

"Send Easy Mac," they said. "Send care packages or get a pen pal. Write letters. Ninety-nine percent of those people with magnets on their cars haven't done anything for the troops. They just gave $2 to some guy. We don't like being here anymore than you like us being here. Send packages and calling cards. Tell us what you have to say. Show us that you care."

Reporter Michelle Pittman can be reached at 610-258-7171 or by e-mail at mpittman@express-times.com.

Ellie

thedrifter
09-27-06, 06:27 AM
September 27, 2006
Marines stationed in Iraq visit Lehigh University via video
Teleconference bridges gap between troops and students.
By Stephanie Fails Of The Morning Call
Lehigh University students saw a side of the war in Iraq Tuesday that they won't see on TV.

Video conferencing technology allowed the students to talk directly with 11 troops stationed more than 6,000 miles away in northern Iraq.

The videoconference was the third installment of a series called ''Inside Iraq,'' which was arranged by Lehigh's Global Union to give students a better understanding of life in the war-torn country.

The Freedom Calls Foundation, a public charity that helps troops stationed overseas connect with family and friends, coordinated the conference using its satellite network.

About 50 students gathered in a large lecture hall for an hourlong question and answer session with 11 troops, whose images were projected on a movie screen.

Sophomore Evan Spark-Depass said that the conference didn't change his opinion about the war, but, ''it definitely put more of a human perspective on things.''

Junior Joseph D'Elia, a cadet in Lehigh's ROTC program, said he attended to get an idea of what he will be going through after graduation.

''I just wanted to see their experience through their mouths and their eyes instead of through the media,'' he said.

The troops, Marines stationed at Al Asad Airfield, said that the media only report negative aspects of the war. They were only identified by rank and last name in the conference.

''I would like the entire world to see exactly what is going on here,'' said Lance Cpl. Howard. ''It's not like 'Oh no, everyone's dying out here!' There's more good being done than bad.''

The troops could not discuss their day-to-day activities for security reasons, but referred to rebuilding the country's schools and training its security forces as some of the most beneficial work they've done.

Howard said he would like to see the media compare the condition of Iraq's cities from before and after the invasion to show how much the country has improved.

Lance Cpl. Martinez said that the Iraqi people have become more trusting of American troops because of the humanitarian work they've done.

''More and more of the Iraqi people are turning in insurgents,'' he said.

Lance Cpl. Hughes said that American forces have maintained security at crowded public events since the invasion, but this will be the first year that security for all events related to Ramadan, the Muslim holy month, will be run by Iraqi security forces.

''That's really a big step for them,'' Hughes said.

The Marines unanimously answered yes when an audience member asked them if they believe in what they are doing in Iraq. However, they all agreed that they would come home if they could, even though they know that won't be soon.

''You'll probably be collecting social security by the time that we leave,'' Hughes said.

Howard said that American troops will not leave until Iraqi forces are able to maintain security in the country.

''We're going to be here for as long as it takes,'' he said.

The Marines, who volunteered to speak in the conference, encouraged the crowd of students who gathered in Lehigh's Whitaker Laboratory to show their support by sending care packages and letters to troops stationed overseas. They said they appreciated that students cared enough to attend the conference.

One student, sophomore Hilary Chadwick, says she has already sent encouraging e-mails to troops and would definitely be interested in sending care packages.

''I think it's encouraging to see them smiling and laughing and wanting to talk to us,'' she said.

stephanie.fails@mcall.com

610-861-8626

Ellie