PDA

View Full Version : SgtMaj Estrada may stay ... for a little while

fontman
09-26-06, 11:32 AM
SgtMaj Estrada may stay ... for a little while
The Marine Corps Times

When Commandant Gen. Mike Hagee hands the keys to Gen. James Conway in November, don't expect the Corps' top enlisted man to do the same.

Sgt. Maj. John Estrada, sergeant major of the Marine Corps, said he expects to stay on, at least for a little while, as Conway settles in as the new commandant.

"Right now, there's talk of me overlapping with General Conway, so that's what it's looking like," Estrada said Sept. 20 in an interview with Marine Corps Times.

By overlapping transitioning commandants, Estrada would repeat what his predecessor did three years ago. At the time, Sgt. Maj. Alford McMichael stayed on as sergeant major of the Marine Corps six months after Hagee relieved Gen. James Jones as commandant.

But it wasn't retirement time for either Jones or McMichael. Both went to Europe to be the commanding general and senior enlisted adviser for U.S. European Command and NATO, where they remain today.

Estrada pointed out that it won't be his first time working with Conway. Estrada was sergeant major for 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing during the invasion of Iraq, when Conway was commanding general of I Marine Expeditionary Force.

"I'll do whatever I can to help his transition," Estrada said. "I'm looking forward to it."

ggyoung
09-26-06, 12:21 PM
I don't like this one bit. I think that estrada has droped the ball one a lot of things that efected the lower ranks of the Marines.

Ignition
09-28-06, 08:21 PM
i also dont agree with his stand on sleeve tattoos. but thats a lil side note

Marinewing
09-28-06, 11:49 PM
I feel like such a reprobate for not following Estrada closer. What are his main sins to bring such criticism?