PDA

View Full Version : Getting back in

blak-tai
09-24-06, 02:41 AM
Here's my issue: I'm trying to enlist back in to the reserves. I was working with a local gunny who was the prior service recruiter, however, he recently pcs'd. He's still trying to provide some...

cplbrooks
09-24-06, 10:20 AM
I went through the same thing only i didnt have medical problems and didnt last serve in the navy. It took almost a year form the Prior service recruiter to finish my package. They are not as quick as a regular recruiter.

How many years of prior service do you have? How long have you been off contract? What was your rank when you got out. I never did interview with the CO until i was actually sworn back in. What is your MOS?

The order of things in the process is this:

1. Initial interview and paperwork with prior service recruiter.

2. He will submit an off contract waiver depending on how long you have been out.

3. Age waiver if your constructive age (years of active service - actual age) is over 29. ( I didnt need this waiver)

Steps 2 & 3 can take a few months

4. Once waivers come back then you need to take physical. It isnt done at meps anymore. it is done through a private contractor that the reserves use. It can take up to three weeks for the bloodwork to come back with your results.

5. Once your physical is good to go then you go to your unit with the prior service recruiter and are sworn back in by the CO.

After this you are good to go.

The only reason that mine took so long is that the 1st Prior service recruiter i had was just killing time before he moved on to another duty station. He didnt want to do anything but the most simple of tasks. You have to stay on them. Once he was replaced by a new motivated PS recruiter the process only took a couple of months.

Give me some more details about your situation and i will tell you more.

blak-tai
09-24-06, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the reply. I haven't been told anything about a private medical screening. The last three months have been all about setting up a MEPS physical. The PSR specifically said that I need to interview with the CO before I go to MEPS. Don't ask me why his direction is different from your process because all I get from his is "I don't f*#&ing know your story so don't expect me to give you answers." I kid you not, the man is seriously hostile to me and I'm trying to figure out what is the malfunction in this situation. Let's put it like this, the last question I had for him was, "ok Gunny, I've got the 2807 and 680 done, what should I do next?" His reply was, "you just need to sit tight until I can get to you. Understand this, you are not a priority. I say again, you are not a priority." Any further thoughts?

Semper Fi.

cplbrooks
09-25-06, 02:24 AM
Thanks for the reply. I haven't been told anything about a private medical screening. The last three months have been all about setting up a MEPS physical. The PSR specifically said that I need to interview with the CO before I go to MEPS. Don't ask me why his direction is different from your process because all I get from his is "I don't f*#&ing know your story so don't expect me to give you answers." I kid you not, the man is seriously hostile to me and I'm trying to figure out what is the malfunction in this situation. Let's put it like this, the last question I had for him was, "ok Gunny, I've got the 2807 and 680 done, what should I do next?" His reply was, "you just need to sit tight until I can get to you. Understand this, you are not a priority. I say again, you are not a priority." Any further thoughts?

Semper Fi.

Where do you live? You need to call another prior service recruiter or call his sncoic. This guy sounds like he doesnt like what he does and is stuck on psr duty. hard to say without all of the facts but i have run into similarly unmotivated people stuck in the backwater of psr. Let me know where you live and i will give you some other numbers to call. Did you require any waivers for anything such as time off contract etc? This could have something to do with the wait. How long have you been off contract?

His_angel
09-25-06, 12:46 PM
Go up the chain of command.

MSgt C. Howard
Administration Chief
703-432-9689

blak-tai
09-25-06, 01:16 PM
Cpl Brooks,

I'm in Saint Louis. Looks like I'll need an off contract waiver since I got out in 1995 and a medical waiver due to my knee. However, I've been going through this for a year. The prior psr did as much as he could do before he pcs'd out of here. I think I'll have to go up the chain or see if I can go through someone else.

cplbrooks
09-25-06, 07:56 PM
The off contract waiver is easy, it just takes a few months. The psr should have already applied for it. How many active years do you have? I am just trying to work out your constructive age. ...

blak-tai
09-25-06, 09:17 PM
I've got 2 active and 5 reserve. The prior PSR said that I'd be given credit for 7 years so that my constructive age would be 29. My disability rating from the VA is 20%.

cplbrooks
09-26-06, 03:08 PM
Is your disability healed? Are you still collecting the disability? This one may be a tough. Have you done rehab etc?

LivinSoFree
10-02-06, 03:05 PM
Side Note- being former Navy, not Marine Corps, you'll still have to go through recruit training and start over as a PFC- we don't compromise.

Anyone else got a different story in that regard?

LivinSoFree
10-02-06, 03:06 PM
Also, since you're an initial accession as far as the Marine Corps is concerned, it might not hurt to talk to a regular recruiter. They're more on the ball with waivers and such, and they'd LOVE to get the contract.