PDA

View Full Version : MOS frustration, Navigator

dodint
09-22-06, 03:48 PM
I'm set to ship out on October 16, but I still haven't locked down an MOS yet. I originally wanted (AJ) Aviation Operations, (CH) Media, and (AG) Air Crew/Flight Mechanic/Navigator.

My recruiter submitted my requests, and called back a few weeks ago saying that none were available, but that I should consider (DD) Intel/Signal Warfare. I did some research and got really excited about Intel, and went and took the DLAB. Scored a 99, but I needed 100, so my recruiter isn't really pursuing Intel anymore. But, as far as I knew, the DLAB isn't a requirement for Intel, so I have no idea why thats a factor.

He called me the other day and told me that we were going to wait until Oct 1, for the new Fiscal Year, and submit on that day, since all jobs will open up. If I couldn't get DD, I'd definately be able to get AJ.

I called him today about something else, and he informs me that I can't have any of my top three choices, but I could pick up AG no problem, and become a Navigator.

If I could choose any job, Navigator would be it, but by signing up for AG I also open myself up for Flight Mechanic, and I have no desire to be a mechanic. It's just not something I have an aptitude for. I also know that the USMC no longer trains Navigators, so I have no idea if it's even open for new recruits.

Anyway, I'm just looking for some advise about what to do about this. My instict says to wait to talk to my recruiter on Wednesday and tell him I'm not settling. I also would like to know if there is still an enlisted Navigator MOS. (7371/7372) I know it's about the needs of the Corps, but if that were 100% true, we'd all go open contract. I'm just trying to make the most of this process.

Kegler300
09-22-06, 04:07 PM
You can always do like I did and opt for 03XX, then during your first enlistment study and re-take the ASVAB to raise your scores, then request a latmove upon reenlistment...if you decide to reenlist. It's all about being a Marine anyway, right?

Kildars
09-22-06, 04:25 PM
MGYSGT I also live in WA, :). You back here in Tacoma now? Weather is pretty crappy huh?

dodint
09-22-06, 04:52 PM
You can always do like I did and opt for 03XX, then during your first enlistment study and re-take the ASVAB to raise your scores, then request a latmove upon reenlistment...if you decide to reenlist. It's all about being a Marine anyway, right?
Yeah, it's about being a Marine. If I wanted definiate job selection I would've settled for Army.

I have an ASVAB AFQT of 96, GT 139, and a college degree. So I'm not in a position where retaking any tests will help me. I did fall one point short on the DLAB but it's not required for any of the MOS's that I wanted.

About reenlistment, I really want to get an MOS that I can be fulfilled with so I'll want to reenlist. I'd hate to go through all this effort to only stay for one enlistment. As for a latmove, I'm already 23, and "restarting" my Marine Corps career at 28 doesn't sound appealing.

cplbrooks
09-22-06, 06:40 PM
if you have a degree then why arent you going to OCS to become an officer? That being said i think you should go 03xx. Based on your top three choices for an MOS it seems to me that you would be more at home in the Airforce.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-23-06, 02:04 AM
Why would you tell someone to be an infantryman when the jobs they have talked about don't even hint at that being a good fit?

Waiting until the new fiscal year starts is a good idea. Its just a couple of weeks away, and it should make things easier on you.

cplbrooks
09-23-06, 08:42 AM
Why would you tell someone to be an infantryman when the jobs they have talked about don't even hint at that being a good fit?

Waiting until the new fiscal year starts is a good idea. Its just a couple of weeks away, and it should make things easier on you.

LOL, then you got my point. I am biased towards the 0300 field as you can see. I could see that he didnt even hint at being a good fit for infantry. His job preference didnt even hint at being a good fit for the Marine Corps. He could always try four years in the infantry and then if he doesnt like it at least he will have some good stories for his grand kids lol.

dodint
09-23-06, 09:02 AM
I have a two year degree, so I don't qualify for OCS. Don't have the physical standard yet, either.

If every recruit that wanted to serve on the Wing ended up joining the Air Force, we wouldn't have a Wing.

I found out through MCO P1200.16 (MOS Manual) that Navigator has been reclassed, and the MOS isn't even listed anymore. This is likely due to the transition of the KC130. That said, I'm going to urge my recruiter to wait untol FY07 to request my jobs.

cplbrooks
09-23-06, 09:16 AM
I was justing busting your chops. i am kidding. I do it to all poolees who dont go 0300. Welcome aboard.

dodint
09-23-06, 10:09 AM
I figured as much. I wasn't taking offense.

I posted a similar thread at a different forum and got the same 0300 response. ;)

Kegler300
09-23-06, 01:40 PM

Tongue in cheek...

chapman
09-28-06, 12:10 PM
Hmm... that's weird... I signed an intel contract, but I never had to take any DLAB...

torched
09-30-06, 11:12 AM
when i join up im planning on being a pilot and an air force recruiter tried to sway me to join af instead but i have family in af and i dont like how he turned out and dont want to be like that