PDA

View Full Version : Why do people always done the Marines?

WJason777
09-21-06, 10:37 PM
How come when people ask what are your plans after high school, and you tell them that you are going to enlished in the Marines, they give you all this crap like "in the Marines you dont make rank as fast as the other branches", "if you join the Marines your going to the front line?. Oh heres my favorite one, "Your gonna die if you join because your going straight to Iraq."

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-21-06, 11:07 PM
Well, those are valid points in some regards. Some of it is because people are jealous. Some is because people have made their decisions based on what is best for them, which may not be best for you. And some are probably just stupid kids bound to be idiot liberals on some college campus.

Kegler300
09-22-06, 06:05 AM
You like baseball, right? Would you rather get advice on how to play baseball from someone who never played before, from someone who knew someone that played once, from someone who's watched it on TV, or a pro? Watch where and who you get your advice from and you'll be able to make a good, sound decision about your future.

WJason777
09-22-06, 01:35 PM
You like baseball, right? Would you rather get advice on how to play baseball from someone who never played before, from someone who knew someone that played once, from someone who's watched it on TV, or a pro? Watch where and who you get your advice from and you'll be able to make a good, sound decision about your future.

I never looked at it like that befor,

Marine84
09-22-06, 03:25 PM
Everytime I got down in bootcamp and thought that I just couldn't take any more of what was being dished out, I would think about all the people that told me that I wouldn't make it and it gave me the inner power to push harder and get that Emblem.

Most folks down us because they're jealous - that THEY never had the guts to do it.

J-Ro
09-22-06, 04:14 PM

True...

Great advice MasterGunns!

Sgt Leprechaun
09-24-06, 02:22 PM
Well said..and I agree...talk to the MARINES here, and not the knuckleheads on the street or in the locker room. They can't hang, they'll never be able TO hang, and, quite frankly, are now skeered ****less that you will be cooler than they will ever hope to be. My standard response to those types of individuals (who ask me why I joined at 17...and then went back in as a retread at 35..) is:

"It's not my fault I'm cooler than you".

WJason777
10-02-06, 05:49 AM
I am now going to do a school research project with this topic. So could i get more people to post there replys please.

J-Ro
10-02-06, 07:56 AM
Well said..and I agree...talk to the MARINES here, and not the knuckleheads on the street or in the locker room. They can't hang, they'll never be able TO hang, and, quite frankly, are now skeered ****less that you will be cooler than they will ever hope to be. My standard response to those types of individuals (who ask me why I joined at 17...and then went back in as a retread at 35..) is:

"It's not my fault I'm cooler than you".

Yep, you said it
"Don't hate me, cause you ain't me"
:cool:

His_angel
10-02-06, 02:15 PM
It's quite simple. Because the Marine Corps is something they can not understand and comprehend. Many can be closed minded and not even try to understand. This doesn't just apply to the Marine Corps or to military service but it can apply to religion or lack there of, alternative lifestyles such as homosexual or kink, motorcycles, and many other area's of life. When there is one person or group that does things different then it is an "unknown factor" that makes some people think, act or react negatively.

I'll give an example closer to something you may relate to better. I'm sure you have clicks at your school. {They all did way back in the stone age when i was in high school.} Jocks, cheerleaders, geeks/nerds, goths, druggies, and some that just don't fit in anywhere and end up together. There are the rare individuals who may have friends in more than one group. But I'm sure you'll find some jocks that just can't relate to the geeks/nerds and pick on one or more of them. And the girls that are into cheerleading just don't understand the goth girls. These examples can be used vice versa as well. People tend to be drawn to others of likemind and interests. Thus many will not tend to find out more about the groups, clicks or individuals that think, act, or dress differently.

So it all boils down to human nature. Many people tend to dislike and even fear the unknown. Rather than try to understand whatever the unknown is, many generally just tend to support their fear with negative comments or actions.

SemperFin
10-03-06, 11:57 AM
His_Angel, I'm not sure it's as simple as that. I think that is part of it, but I think it goes a little beyond understanding and comprehension. I would agree with your point on the cheerleader vs. goth thing though. Good way to explain the concept.

I think it is what you said AND a tinge of jealousy.

J-Ro
10-03-06, 01:33 PM
Who gives Sh$* what others say... were the Marines and or poolees and their civilians, Somebody has to do it!

"In the end, I found that I simply didn’t care."
~unknown

:cool:

DAVE MOORE
10-03-06, 02:22 PM
My Point Of View Might Be A Little Deferent . A Marine Really Doesn't Give A Dam What People Think . He Does His Or Her Job To The Best Of His Or Her Ability And Never Looks Back . You Will Have Done What They Will Always Wonder What It Would Have Been Like . And Let Me Say Your Not Going To Die Cause We Wont Give You Permission End Of Story . { I Like Yours To Angel } I Just Cant Remember That Far Back .

JagsIndy
10-09-06, 06:38 PM
Esprit de Corps <br />
Daniel E. Sims <br />
GySgt, USMC (Ret.) <br />
<br />
Ask a Marine what's so special about the Marines and the answer would be &quot;esprit de corps&quot;, an unhelpful French phrase that means exactly what...