PDA

View Full Version : College now?

Smalcom
09-21-06, 12:38 PM
Ive been getting offers from schools to go to college and run XC and track for them. An Oregon state rep came to my house offering a full ride.

I really have no idea what to do now.

Marine84
09-21-06, 12:54 PM
OK then....................flip a coin - heads, you go in the Corps.............tails, you go to college

devildoghopeful
09-21-06, 01:00 PM
Remember you can still join the Corps after college, only you have the option of going to Officer Candidates School through the Platoon Leaders Class or the NROTC and becoming an officer. Even then if you don't want to become an officer then you can still go enlisted right? If Enlisted is what you really want then the question is: can you/do you want to wait four more years?

marinegreen
09-21-06, 01:01 PM
Damn dude !! Take that full ride scholarship and (run) with it,not to many get that oppurtunity.The Marine Corps will still be there when you graduate and then should you still wanna be a Marine, become a officer !! Dont pass up a full ride scholarship......................
MG

Camper51
09-21-06, 01:14 PM
Only a huge fool would pass up a full ride scholarship. All that crap you stuff into your brain is yours forever and can never be taken away from you. You can still join the Corps after college and you can choose to be an enlisted person or a leader of Marines as an officer (more money, too). You open more doors with that education than you ever will by joining now and skipping the education. I know what I am talkin about because I am a high school dropout. Been there and done that, got the hat to prove it. Go for the education then go for the Corps...

Achped
09-21-06, 01:41 PM
For what it's worth, I turned down an all-expenses paid 4 year ROTC Army scholarship (which I spent hours applying for), once I learned what the Corps. was about.

Did you already DEP in? I did, and that's another reason why I feel like I have to continue with the course I'm already in. I don't think I'd be allowed to join the military "again" if I "got out" of my DEP commitment.

Mike McIntyre
09-21-06, 01:57 PM
What about NROTC?

hawks
09-21-06, 02:04 PM
Take the full ride, as soon as you step foot onto campus, APPLY FOR PLC, itll be two 6 week courses over the summer. Do it!

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-21-06, 02:44 PM
Take the full ride. Be a Beaver and embarass the Ducks for me. Nothing better than beating them at distance running... the one thing they've been good at.

rktect3j
09-21-06, 03:19 PM
Take the ride. Simple. Then join the Corps.

quillhill
09-21-06, 03:20 PM
Wow. First, congratulations. Getting a cross country scholarship, much less a full ride, to a Division I school is quite an accomplishment. You could always join the Corps and go to school later, heck even run then, too, but the scholarship may not be there.
I just hopped on the Oregon State Web site and it looks like they have a solid (from my untrained eye) NROTC program. You can even, through the NROTC program earn, a Naval Science Minor by doing a Marine Corps Sequence.
http://catalog.oregonstate.edu/MinorDetail.aspx?minor=806&college=11
Going to OSU and running in a very competitive conference like the Pac-10 can only give you a leg up when you do join the Corps, whether you go enlisted or officer. And with the NROTC program, you can do so much once you do graduate. It will open a lot of doors.
If you have your heart set on going enlisted after graduation, though, I can see why that's a tough choice.
Have you talked it over with parents? I know it's your decision, but I am curious what they think. Have you talked to your recruiter?
The Marine Corps is more than 200 years old. I suspect it will be around in a few years if you choose to go to college first.
Good luck. I know this will be a tough decision.

Barret
09-21-06, 03:39 PM
You could also go to the USMC Reserves, and be a Marine while you go to college. There are many options you can take. I would advise going to college before you enlist, if you decide to enlist.

J-Ro
09-21-06, 03:52 PM
A Full-Ride!!!

What could we possibly tell you, Go to school bro

The Corps is going on its Two-hundred and thirty first Birhday in two months, We'll still be here. Whatever decision you make I'm sure it will best for yourself.

No better friend...
No worse enemy<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Kildars
09-21-06, 04:20 PM
If you've already DEP'd in you should honor your commitment to the Marine Corps, if you aren't, I would go go to bootcamp, and then join the Marine Reserves. Get bootcamp done the younger the better. Not only does the Marine Corps pay you while you're in the Reserves you earn time served, and rank and you also get to be a Marine.

You also run the risk of getting deployed, unless you enlist in an officer course cause a recruiter once told me an officer course takes the place of an enlisted contract, he may have been fibbing though.

Anyways good luck, in the end it's what YOU WANT TO DO. Not what we think you should do.

hawks
09-21-06, 04:20 PM
I dont know, but if you go Marine Corp first also, you'll put on a lot of muscle probably, that'd probably slow run time, say if you went Reserves.

Smalcom
09-21-06, 04:41 PM
hmmmmm, this is really killing me haha, that NROTC program looks awesome, Ive just always wanted to be enlisted though. So im gonna think bout this a lot.

hawks
09-21-06, 05:28 PM
Sean, it's a tough decision, take your time on it. Do what you want. You can always go to college, free ride, if you don't like it, leave. You can't do that with the Marines. College is not always right for everyone. I kind of wish I did not continue my college education right after high school. But you know why I did, because everyone else did, it was the norm. But, I can't go back in time and change it, and I have to live with it. Do what you want and heed advice from your family and close friends.

quillhill
09-21-06, 05:48 PM
You could be one of those former NCAA athletes in the commercials where they say "We all go pro in something..." and the show people who are scientists and laywers and stuff, then they could show you, being a Marine. Ha!

Honestly, I'm stoked that you have this kind of dilemma. It's a good problem to have...full ride to run cross country at a top notch D-I school or enlist in the Marines and server your country? Most of your peers don't have a clue what they want to do when they grow up. Not only do you know, you have multiple paths by which to pursue your goal.
Pursue what you feel is best for you. I am not one of those elitist types with a degree who believes everyone should go to college right out of high school. I suspect you will go to college one way or another if that is something you want to do. It's just a matter of you figuring out where the Marine Corps exit is on the highway of life for you.
Do you plan to visit OSU if you haven't already? That may give you a sense of if college and NROTC or USMC Reserves and running is right for you. You may want to ask the cross country coach if athletics and NROTC can fit in your schedule in addition to classes. Competing in D-I sports is a demanding thing and it is my understanding that NROTC is also very demanding. Doing both plus school...find out if that's realistic. And then figure out if that's what you want as opposed to heading off to boot next summer.
Luckily, you have time and resources to figure this out. Doing some research will probably help make the decision easier for you.
You must be one hell of a runner to have this kind of an opportunity. Another thing to think about is how much do you love running? Do you love it enough to do it for four more years? Is it a passion? If you don't compete in college, do you think will regret passing up the opportunity because you love it so much? Just think about that as you are making your decision.
This is coming from my background as a sportswriter. Hopefully some of the things I've learned and observed can provide some insight as you consider this decision.
Again, good luck. I am confident you will do what's best for you. :)

The Sandman
09-21-06, 06:40 PM
If you don't take the full ride you are an idiot. The Marines will be here forever, and you will be able to join for years after you have graduated. Do the PLC don't do the PLC it doesn't matter really. If you want to do enlisted then do enlisted. But, when someone offers you a free college education you don't turn your back on it.

J-Ro
09-21-06, 07:34 PM
I dont know, but if you go Marine Corp first also, you'll put on a lot of muscle probably, that'd probably slow run time, say if you went Reserves.

Hate to break it too you, "hawks" contrary to popular belief Not!!! all Marines are built of Muscle, Marines come in all shapes and sizes, I've seen both, Muscle is going to lye where you put your priorities.

"Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans,
because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean,
or skinny and mean. They're aggressive on the attack and
tenacious on defense. They've got really short hair and they
always go for the throat."
-RAdm. "Jay" R. Stark, US Navy; <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:date Year="1995" Day="10" Month="11">10 November 1995</st1:date>.

FooDawg
09-21-06, 08:03 PM
I wish I had your choice. I put myself through a lot of college and I am now $80k in debt because of it. I dont regret it one bit, but man do I wish I had someone else to pay for it. Do whats in your heart brother, but remember, you will forever be able to join the Marines, but an oppurtunity where school is paid for you? Once in a lifetime chance.

Good luck in your choice my friend.

J-Ro
09-21-06, 08:25 PM
I wish I had your choice. I put myself through a lot of college and I am now $80k in debt because of it. I dont regret it one bit, but man do I wish I had someone else to pay for it. Do whats in your heart brother, but remember, you will forever be able to join the Marines, but an oppurtunity where school is paid for you? Once in a lifetime chance.

Good luck in your choice my friend.

J@#%s! :scared: 8ok... do you have a couple degrees?

dscusmc
09-21-06, 08:52 PM
We had a number of college xc and track athletes in my OCS class. One guy ran track at Georgia Tech. There were at least two other xc / marathoners. At one point or another as an enlisted Marine, I shared a barracks room or worked with at least two enlisted former NCAA Div. I athletes (a former college swimmer and a former football player at ASU, I think) and one minor league pitcher that had made it to AAA in the Tigers organization. You've got a great opportunity, congratulations on the offer.

As a college athlete, you'll have alot to offer the Marine Corps one day. Go to college, compete at a high level, and get good grades. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Sieze the initiative.

FooDawg
09-21-06, 09:22 PM
J@#%s! :scared: 8ok... do you have a couple degrees?

haha, I have an AS from one school in software development, and am working towards two BS's right now in History and Psychology. The first AS cost me the bulk of my expenses, about 50-60k for that degree, it was an extremely specialized school, so pretty expensive. The others are from conventional colleges. I have 54 credits in conventional colleges after this semester and need 120 to graduate. I got 96 from the specialized school, but unfortunately, even though it was an accredited school, since it was so specialized, none of the credits were transferrable. So I had to pretty much restart. Whatever though, I love school and learning new stuff, so its been worth every penny I havent spent yet (hehe, but I sure do owe it).
:)

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-21-06, 10:55 PM
I don't think the Marine reserve option is going to work. The school isn't offering him a full ride to let him miss training sessions and races while he is doing his Marine duty.

As for the muscle issue, I don't think it would matter. There are plenty of people that have pure runners bodies in the Marine Corps.

The issue of signing a contract and swearing in to the DEP is tricky to me. I believe that you should always honor your word. But, this is a special circumstance. It is also something that the Marine Corps could benefit from if he were to become an officer or even enlist after college. If you are sure you will enter the Marines after college as a manner of honor, not just because its what you want to do now, I think it would be OK to leave the DEP to run in college.

J-Ro
09-21-06, 11:21 PM
Whatever man, Foo in my opinion your spending WAY TOO MUCH MONEY! for an education and not recieving any in Finance, Unless your seeking or already close to having your Doctorate, with your Credentials it just "Don't Make Sense" Hopefully you make wiser decisions on your education and stick to one place and then do your shopping around for other education facilities.

Sometimes in Life you have to realize a poor investment and simply cut your loses<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

Kildars
09-22-06, 12:05 AM
If you don't take the full ride you are an idiot. The Marines will be here forever, and you will be able to join for years after you have graduated. Do the PLC don't do the PLC it doesn't matter really. If you want to do enlisted then do enlisted. But, when someone offers you a free college education you don't turn your back on it.

How is he an idiot, if college isn't what he wants to do -- he shouldn't do it, just because someone else is paying for it doesn't mean he will enjoy it. I went to a year of college, then decide Marine Corps was for me, after the Marines if I think I should go back -- I can go to college. You all keep saying the Marine Corps will always be here, well so will college. If he has a scholarship now -- joining the Marines I doubt will harm or hinder is ability to run fast, so if he gets out they most likely would offer him a scholarship. Also the Marines will help, if not pay for all of his college if he enlists too.

It's personal preference, there is no right or wrong answer here.

iamcloudlander
09-22-06, 12:29 AM
Take the college as you will not be offered it again if you turn it down for the Marines. I had a scholarship to a architecturial engineering college but was drafted first and ended up in the Marines. During the course of my enlistment the scholarship evaporated and things happened in my life (marriage etc) and when I got out of the Marines I attended night college for nine years to get a degree and when I applied for the jobs I qualified for with this degree I was routinely turned down for the younger people that graduated with the same degree as I had.
The Marine Corps will be there in four years for you and will offer you more options to chose from because with a degree more fields will be open to you.
Remember the Marine Corps will probably send you into combat and the possibility of an injury which would preclude your ever running again is highly prevalent.
My grandson just optioned out of a college education to join the Army as he wanted to go to Iraq and fight. Now after a year into his enlistment he now reqrets this decision as he can see the truth of what everyone told him.
He now faces a four year enlistment and then four years of college. He is an infantryman and the job prospects for him when he is out of the Army are not going to be there for him. Not to many jobs have job descriptions needing the skills of taught to an uneducated infantryman.
When you weigh the two options you have I wish you the best of luck in choosing the right one. Good Luck in which ever one you chose.

J-Ro
09-22-06, 01:22 AM
How is he an idiot, if college isn't what he wants to do -- he shouldn't do it, just because someone else is paying for it doesn't mean he will enjoy it. I went to a year of college, then decide Marine Corps was for me, after the Marines if I think I should go back -- I can go to college. You all keep saying the Marine Corps will always be here, well so will college. If he has a scholarship now -- joining the Marines I doubt will harm or hinder is ability to run fast, so if he gets out they most likely would offer him a scholarship. Also the Marines will help, if not pay for all of his college if he enlists too.

It's personal preference, there is no right or wrong answer here.

True... I wouldn't go as far as calling anybody an idiot, your right college might not be what he wants in Life right now and I can't speak for every Marine in this Thread, but What I was saying and what everybody else is hinting at (seems like) Is that IF... he goes and gets his Degree, First Many more opportunities will open up (debt free, from the School loan burden) and with the experiance of College and Life in General he'll be able to make a more sound decision on what he want's out Life.

Not Saying that we didn't know what we were doing, but I didn't have a full ride to school either and now I have school Loans... Get it

FooDawg
09-22-06, 09:33 AM
Whatever man, Foo in my opinion your spending WAY TOO MUCH MONEY! for an education and not recieving any in Finance, Unless your seeking or already close to having your Doctorate, with your Credentials it just "Don't Make Sense" Hopefully you make wiser decisions on your education and stick to one place and then do your shopping around for other education facilities.

Sometimes in Life you have to realize a poor investment and simply cut your loses<o></o>
I realize now that the money spent on my AS was WAY too much. Was it a bad investment?? NEVER. I learned so much out of that education. Stuff I would have never taught myself. I don't believe my financial situation is necessarily yours or anyone elses to state whether it's a bad investment or not and I kind of take offense to that. I was simply showing the other end of the spectrum for Smalcom so he understands what he is being offered. I know full well what I have been getting myself into and I am proud to say that i've needed to ask for help from NOONE towards this either. Not like mommy and daddy can afford to pay this off for me, im on my own and I know this and personally, I think it shows a great deal of responsibility on my part.

This also helped build my credit score to an almost maxxed level, hehe, so thats a plus.
:)

Camper51
09-22-06, 09:34 AM
Smalcom,

There is a lot of experience talking to you on this forum.

By far the majority have said to take the education and run like hell with it.

We have spoken our words of wisdom (or bullsh*t if you like) from the college of hard knocks and from the well of wisdom and experience that we have all drank from. Some of us are high school dropouts such as myself, and some are college graduates and some are anything and everything in between. Yet the common thread here is to get YOUR education first, then consider the Corps. The Corps will not go away but your educational opportunities may disappear forever if you do not take them while you can.

We understand that life gets in the way of plans in ways you cannot ever expect and that if you don't take the open door while it is offered, you may never see that door again...

We all also know that being young only happens once and that your heart is set on the Corps. You must do what is right for you for now. Just remember that in 10 years (a long time for you now) you will look back and think very differently than you do now. I can almost guarantee that not getting an education while you could will be a regret in 10 years and almost everyone on this forum who has been in that boat will agree with me most heartily.

If you take only one piece of advice for the rest of your life, let it be good advice. Look around and see what it is. It is in plain sight and you know the answer, even if it is not the answer you want, it is the right one...

J-Ro
09-22-06, 10:24 AM
[quote=FooDawg]I realize now that the money spent on my AS was WAY too much. Was it a bad investment?? NEVER. I learned so much out of that education. Stuff I would have never taught myself. I don't believe my financial situation is necessarily yours or anyone elses to state whether it's a bad investment or not and I kind of take offense to that.

No your right your financial situations OR your Credit Scores is nobodies business but your own, but you put your business out their. And at 23 with an Associates and a bunch of credits that are non-transferrable "in my-opinion" THAT'S a BAD INVESTMENT. If you think what you have done with your monies is good then that's all that matters, I guess

Marine84
09-22-06, 10:50 AM
You spent dang near 80Gs for an AS AND the credits weren't transferrable? I ain't no rocket scientist but.....................

J-Ro
09-22-06, 11:01 AM
You spent dang near 80Gs for an AS AND the credits weren't transferrable? I ain't no rocket scientist but.....................

LOL...:cool: That's all I was sayin

His_angel
09-22-06, 12:48 PM
Ah heck. I'll add my thoughts to the thread.

Dude! A full friggin ride scholarship?!?! Go for it. Give it at least a couple of semesters to make up your mind. I did a year in college. Knew at that point that I hated it and it wasn't for me. My point? You won't know if you don't at least try. Otherwise you "could" go into the Corps and always wonder "what if" or what could have been. Thus may end up hating the Corps instead of loving it. And just because you graduate college doesn't mean you have to go to OCS. You can still go enlisted but will have the college behind you to become an officer later if that's what you decide you want to do.

And you could be like me. I knew in high school I did not want to do another 2 - 4 years of school. I only went because everyone else wanted me to go. Maybe in the end it was beneficial because I was another year older, more mature and wasn't straight out of highschool and someone else's house. At least I don't look back and regret not having tried it.

I have my high school experiences. I had a taste of college. And I wouldn't trade my time in the Corps for anything. We can all offer our experiences and thoughts but in the end it's still your decision. You have to live with the consequences of whatever decision you make.

Angel

FooDawg
09-22-06, 03:19 PM
haha, I have an AS from one school in software development, and am working towards two BS's right now in History and Psychology. The first AS cost me the bulk of my expenses, about 50-60k for that degree, it was an extremely specialized school, so pretty expensive.

I specifically stated that that non transferrable degree was 50-60, roughly 53k to be exact. And the college was an accredited school. I had no idea the credits were not transferrable. I attended the college when I was 20 and got a lot out of it. That degree put me in flight simulations development positions, which ultimately led me to my desire to fly helicopters (especially after the IITSEC conference). Unfortuantely when I tried to transfer the 96 credits fromt hat college to finish up my BS degree, I was faced with the reality that the credits meant nothing to conventional colleges since it was such a specialized program. Still in no way a bad investment. My choice to continue pursuing my BS was because I wanted that for myself and I love learning new things. 80k in debt is roughly 4-5 years of college with an AS and just about half way towards two BSs. Thats about the same amount of education I could have gotten from a conventional school if I went straight for it, I just chose a different route. I dont believe I made any bad choices and in the long run it helped me figure out what I want to do. Join the Marine Corps as a pilot and try to get a flight seat in helicopters. I think that oppurtunity came at somewhat of a financial price, but in the long run has allowed me time to grow and make a good, well informed decsion with experience and maturity behind it.

Think what you will about my "investments". Putting a price on learning and experience and wisdom and then saying that someone made a bad investment on it is kind of a bad message to send to the kid with a full ride in my opinion. Any education is good in my opinion, but thats just me. Hope maybe it has been explained a little better for everyone.

Marine84
09-22-06, 03:37 PM
Not trying to put you down sweetie - but, before I went for an AS I ASKED whether the credits would transfer if I decided to go for the full BS - if they hadn't I would have chosen another school. I certainly wouldn't have paid that much money for something that wouldn't - but that's just me. AND I had to work and pay for my own because my parents made too much money for me to get a free ride. Even though my folks DID have the money - I wanted to do it on my own so that way, IF i flunked out or quit, I didn't want to hear no junk about wasting their money. I would have nobody to answer to but myself.

If you got a free ride - go for it - nothing wrong with it. And nobody is knocking you for spending that much money on an AS that is useless - hell, it's YOUR life and YOU are the one that's going to have to pay it all back.

FooDawg
09-22-06, 03:55 PM
First off, the AS isn't useless, so what are you talking about? I specifically just stated that its led me to figure out what I really want to do with my life. Without that AS I would have never gotten a job building military helicopter simulators and would have never figured out that after flying helicopter sims with flight mechanics that were made to train pilots in the military, that are actually used as we speak to train pilots in our military, that I in turn wanted to fly helicopters, not just make the sims. So where did you get useless from any of that? Thats more then most people can say for themselves in a lifetime. Some people live their entire lives without ACTUALLY knowing what they want to do. So it's not transferrable, so what. The school I got my AS from wasn't conventional, there were NO gen ed courses, it was all specifically towards development and physics and coding.

I really don't understand why everyone thinks its such a huge waste. That was never my intention in posting my "story". It was simply to show that a free ride is quite convenient when education costs so much. Any out of state tuition for a college is going to run you 20k a year easily. That was the simple reason for me posting it, not to have to defend myself to people who think im an idiot for paying money on an education from a specialized school. Any tech school in the country isn't going to give you transferrable credits, but your getting such a specialized curriculum that the education is much better then a conventional colleges curriculum, who require you to have a more rounded background of credits. So if you want to go learn how to write software in a 3d environment, your best bet is to go to a school like I went to, cause conventional colleges just can't compare in that regard.

So can we all please stop saying how much of a waste it was and stuff, it wasn't at all and if anyone should think that it was or wasn't, it should be me.
So Smalcom, take what you will out of all of this, no matter what your choices are, people are always gonna comment their feelings about it, so just do what you feel is right and what you will be proud of in the long run. Simple as that.

J-Ro
09-22-06, 04:10 PM
First off, the AS isn't useless, so what are you talking about? I specifically just stated that its led me to figure out what I really want to do with my life. Without that AS I would have never gotten a job building military helicopter simulators and would have never figured out that after flying helicopter sims with flight mechanics that were made to train pilots in the military, that are actually used as we speak to train pilots in our military, that I in turn wanted to fly helicopters, not just make the sims. So where did you get useless from any of that? Thats more then most people can say for themselves in a lifetime. Some people live their entire lives without ACTUALLY knowing what they want to do. So it's not transferrable, so what. The school I got my AS from wasn't conventional, there were NO gen ed courses, it was all specifically towards development and physics and coding.

I really don't understand why everyone thinks its such a huge waste. That was never my intention in posting my "story". It was simply to show that a free ride is quite convenient when education costs so much. Any out of state tuition for a college is going to run you 20k a year easily. That was the simple reason for me posting it, not to have to defend myself to people who think im an idiot for paying money on an education from a specialized school. Any tech school in the country isn't going to give you transferrable credits, but your getting such a specialized curriculum that the education is much better then a conventional colleges curriculum, who require you to have a more rounded background of credits. So if you want to go learn how to write software in a 3d environment, your best bet is to go to a school like I went to, cause conventional colleges just can't compare in that regard.

So can we all please stop saying how much of a waste it was and stuff, it wasn't at all and if anyone should think that it was or wasn't, it should be me.
So Smalcom, take what you will out of all of this, no matter what your choices are, people are always gonna comment their feelings about it, so just do what you feel is right and what you will be proud of in the long run. Simple as that.

:cool: ok...whatever you say

Marine84
09-22-06, 10:09 PM
OOOOOH lil pup got balls!

Like I said, nobody id trying to put you down and when I said it was useless, I should have elaborated and said useless towards that BS. If you learned what you wanted to do in life by doing that and getting a better paying job - that's great - hell, I didn't know what I wanted to do at your age so you're one up on me there.

If you want to do the whole flight thing - why join the Corps to do it? You could always fly a helo through the city of Vegas for about $300 + a pop! You'll surely make more money doing it that way! You could even do better financially if you taught other folks how to fly. Buy your own bird and do what you wanted with it.

Or do you just want to do it in the Corps cause you get to shoot the guns attached to them (maybe). It ain't like some video game..................

FooDawg
09-22-06, 10:28 PM
You know, im not gonna stoop myself any lower here. If you really perceived everything I said as you have commented, then well im sorry you misunderstood everything I said. If you really think so low of someone like that, then thats not my problem. Im proud where im at and where im going and come here to help give feedback to the people who appreciate it. I am sorry you think my input is invalid and hope someone appreciates it. I will pursue my goal regardless of what others think and am proud to stand tall about who I am. My past is helping me get through my future and I only hope others can understand and appreciate that statement. Good luck Smalcom in your decision.

Marine84
09-23-06, 02:07 PM
Listen up Poolee - one problem I see with you already is YOU AREN'T COMPREHENDING WHAT YOU'RE READING! NOBODY has put you down for doing what you're doing - some of us just think it's a little funny to spend that kind of money on an AS (which you even said yourself you realized it was way much) but, hey, if you got something out of it - MISSION ACCOMPLISHED FOR YOU! As far as STOOPING to some other level, you better GET UP ON MY LEVEL - I don't think you're low on the "food chain" for doing ANYTHING! And, as I've posted before, take the free ride that's been offered to you. For your age, you have every right to be proud of what you've done and where you're going.

And you STILL haven't answered my question.............WHY THE CORPS? WHAT CAN YOU DO FOR OUR MARINE CORPS?

You came in here posting your business - don't get your feathers ruffled when somebody that ALREADY HAS the TITLE asks you some pretty simple questions. This isn't a place to come to get a pat on your back about anything. It's just to see if you have your head up your a$$ or where it should be to handle such a task as becoming a Marine - it ain't no rose garden....................

When a Marine asks you a question, you need to have a better answer than what you posted above - SOUND OFF!

J-Ro
09-23-06, 03:13 PM
When a Marine asks you a question, you need to have a better answer than what you posted above - SOUND OFF![/quote]

I can't hear you!!!:cool:

Marine84
09-23-06, 05:09 PM
I think it's a pretty reasonable question, don't you J?

Smalcom
09-23-06, 05:38 PM
I thought this whole thing was ... nevermind.

J-Ro
09-23-06, 05:55 PM
I think it's a pretty reasonable question, don't you J?

lol, "Yep" I certainly do, considering he is a
Visitor! on OUR! site,

Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
~Mark Twain

Poolees...
:cool:

J-Ro
09-23-06, 05:58 PM
I thought this whole thing was ... nevermind.

It wasn't Smalcom "you asked a Great, Debatable Question" that in the end, only your going to give yourself the best answer.

outlaw3179
09-23-06, 07:31 PM
Who cares about degrees and credits. Is you degree going to keep you warm at night when you dont have a job? No. Do you know how many people I know have degrees in business or some other "important" degree that work at Wells Fargo in some punk ass customer service job or some other entry level position? Doesnt matter...what matters is if you actually utilize the degree that you are spending all this money on. Go into college have a plan, and act on it. Dont just go to college to get a degree. Im not just saying this because I heard about it or read it about in some magazine somewhere. Everyday in the real world , not MarineCorpsville, you see people who never use their degree. Believe me , In my opinion if you want to go to school , do it..only if you have a plan. dont just go to get a degree that you will never use. If you want to go , and uitlize it to be an officer in the Marine Corps then.. drive. Find your motive, locate it , and attain.

cplbrooks
09-24-06, 09:59 AM
Who cares about degrees and credits. Is you degree going to keep you warm at night when you dont have a job? No. Do you know how many people I know have degrees in business or some other "important" degree that work at Wells Fargo in some punk ass customer service job or some other entry level position? Doesnt matter...what matters is if you actually utilize the degree that you are spending all this money on. Go into college have a plan, and act on it. Dont just go to college to get a degree. Im not just saying this because I heard about it or read it about in some magazine somewhere. Everyday in the real world , not MarineCorpsville, you see people who never use their degree. Believe me , In my opinion if you want to go to school , do it..only if you have a plan. dont just go to get a degree that you will never use. If you want to go , and uitlize it to be an officer in the Marine Corps then.. drive. Find your motive, locate it , and attain.

I couldnt have said it better. Having worked in the mortgage industry for many years i would have to say everything you say here is true according to my own observations as well.

LcplUnderground
09-25-06, 07:08 PM
Does anyone kmnow any orders regarding Enlisted Comisioning Program?I had a moral waiver above the RS level to enlist, but have HAD a spotless SRB the two years I <br />
ve been in. I have about a year of...

cplbrooks
09-25-06, 07:38 PM
not sure about officer stuff. I do know that if you have any tattoos that also requires a waiver. What were the offenses?

LcplUnderground
09-25-06, 08:10 PM
couple of ABs a bunch of driving stuff

cplbrooks
09-25-06, 08:15 PM
you may want to contact a lawyer in the state where the offenses occured to see if you might qualify to have the offenses expunged from your record. How old were you when they happened?

LcplUnderground
09-25-06, 08:47 PM
good idea, but when they do the FBI check like they did when we first enlisted doesnt show expunged stuff?

Mike McIntyre
09-26-06, 08:41 AM
I have more degrees than a rectal thermometer and I can tell you an education, like anything else, is only as good as you make it. College teaches you how to learn and NOT what you will need in life. I have seen more graduates that think the world owes them something just because they have a degree. They discount experience and common sense. No amount of education can replace these.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Back to the original question:
&#216; Consider the Scholarship – This is an awesome opportunity
&#216; Consider NROTC – A taste of both worlds
&#216; Consider the Reserves – Be aware the call up rate is higher than “Actives”
&#216; Consider OCS or Enlisting after school.
&#216; Talk to Recruiters with EXPERIENCE
<o:p></o:p>
Do what is right for you. Remember, this is a free country and you are allowed to CHANGE your mind!!!!

chafas2531
09-26-06, 01:32 PM
I have more degrees than a rectal thermometer and I can tell you an education, like anything else, is only as good as you make it. College teaches you how to learn and NOT what you will need in life. I have seen more graduates that think the world owes them something just because they have a degree. They discount experience and common sense. No amount of education can replace these.
<O:p></O:p>
Back to the original question:
Ř Consider the Scholarship – This is an awesome opportunity
Ř Consider NROTC – A taste of both worlds
Ř Consider the Reserves – Be aware the call up rate is higher than “Actives”
Ř Consider OCS or Enlisting after school.
Ř Talk to Recruiters with EXPERIENCE
<O:p
Do what is right for you. Remember, this is a free country and you are allowed to CHANGE your mind!!!!

AMEN!

A Heart O' Texas Marine,
ben