PDA

View Full Version : Thank you. Got my ship date.

vicbx2006
09-20-06, 08:10 AM
I wanted to thank everyone on this site for all their information and help. I have wanted to be a Marine since I was a kid, but I made some decisions when I was younger that sent me in another direction. Fast forward to today and I'm 31 years old and still burning with the desire to acheive that lofty goal.

I had all but given up when I found this site and read a forum in which Marines said they had joined in their 30s. Enthused, I went to my local recruiter and began the process. A couple waivers later and I'm on my way.
I ship out to Parris Island on Monday.

Thank you to everyone that offered advice, encouragement, and even those who played devil's advocate.

I'm on my way! See you in December!

Vic

Achped
09-20-06, 09:06 AM
Wow! Let us know how it goes. You're enlisting at 31 with no prior service? What's your MOS?

You'll be older than everyone in your platoon, so expect to get some responsibility. (At least, that's what I've been told)

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-20-06, 10:49 AM
Congratulations on your decision vicbx. On Monday you'll begin to achieve something you've wanted for years. You may have some doubts at first, but you will soon find that the Marine Corps is everything you ever thought it was.

His_angel
09-20-06, 11:21 AM
Congratulations Vic! Make sure to check in when you get back from PI.

ckkinders
09-20-06, 10:09 PM
Congrats, Vic!!! That is awesome news!!! We'll be at PI at the same time-probably won't see you at all, but good luck!!!

JReid
09-20-06, 11:46 PM
Congrats!!I am leaving this weekend as well, good luck to ya bro!

quillhill
09-21-06, 03:27 PM
Congratulations! Not everyone joins at 17 or 18. :)
Way back in the day, my grandfather, SSgt Hugh Church, joined in his mid-20s with two years of college under his belt. He was a PI Marine and served eight years with honor, as I understand it from his records.
I am sure you will do as well as he did.
I won't wish you luck, Vic. You don't need it. Just go git sum and come back as a Marine.

Lepke
09-21-06, 03:35 PM
Congrats!!I am leaving this weekend as well, good luck to ya bro!

I'm leaving on the 25th too, we'll be in 1st BN Bravo Co... Good luck and see you guys there!

yellowwing
09-21-06, 04:18 PM
Good to go Vic! Congrats on your acceptance for training. Now the real hard part beings, but you'll really love the next 4-6 years.

vicbx2006
09-21-06, 09:17 PM
Thanks again for the words of encouragement everyone. The countdown begins!