PDA

View Full Version : Update!

Lepke
09-19-06, 10:50 PM
You guys might remember this thread:http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34517

Well I lucked out! Some kid who got one of the last Infantry contracts was supposed to shipout yesterday, but he had braces on his teeth and apparently you can't go to boot camp with braces. Anyway, I got his Infantry contract! So now, I get to keep my original shipdate of September 25th (which means I'll be home for Christmas during boot leave), AND I got the job I want guaranteed!:) Just thought I'd share..

WJason777
09-19-06, 11:42 PM
Man i am so happy for you. You only have lest than 5 days befor you leave. D**n i wish i was in your shoes right about now. But goodluck.
What made you want to do infantry?

jinelson
09-19-06, 11:55 PM
Congratulations and good luck!

JWG
09-20-06, 05:31 AM
Good news! Stay MOTIVATED, stay STRONG.. and keep a positive attitude!

You WILL accomplish your MISSION to earn that blessed Eagle, Globe, and Anchor!

Lepke
09-20-06, 09:24 AM
Thank you guys for the kind words.

What made me want to go Infantry? Well, ever since I was a little kid I have wanted to be a Marine, and when I pictured Marines, I pictured what I found out later were Infantry Marines. So that's what I chose. :)

And also, September 11th, 2001...

outlaw3179
09-20-06, 09:32 AM
Good S**t Lepke, take care , enjoy your time at home and start getting focused. Its good that you want to be a grunt. Grunts have all the fun :)

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-20-06, 10:42 AM
Lepke, I am happy for you. There are many people that have the same motivation for enlisting as you do. I am glad that you were able to get one of the coveted slots.

Lepke
09-20-06, 12:47 PM
Thanks guys.

STA0311
09-20-06, 01:24 PM
If you do take any adivce...take this. Infantry is fun for about a year...then you get sick and tired of doing the same old field ops in the same old training areas. PURSUE ALL THAT IS AVAILABLE! Try out for STA if it becomes available, or take the RECON indoc. Go to Coaches Course and try to be a Range Coach. Try and get HRST school seats. Make sure you dont become a barracks rat and have nothing to show for your years spent in the Corps. Have a good time, work hard, and take advantage of schools that other Marines choose not to go to because they will miss a "96".
SEMPER!

David Jameson
09-20-06, 02:49 PM
How the hell are are these guys having are hard time getting 0311.I see this alot.I think I have idea but can someone fill me in.

Brass
09-20-06, 03:05 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but this is the end of the fiscal year, hence the spots have been filling up since last year's October 1st. A lot of the most popular jobs are taken because people have been signing up for them all year now.

STA0311
09-20-06, 03:16 PM
I am also confused, but I am not an admin "number" guru either. But it seems to me like they would like to have all the 03's they can get thier hands on...I mean, we ARE still doing combat operations. And we ARE recalling Marines. I know damn well that we are recalling 03's and putting them in some BS job like ATFP at LeJeune, or admin assistant which they have no training in.

Lepke
09-20-06, 03:20 PM
If you do take any adivce...take this. Infantry is fun for about a year...then you get sick and tired of doing the same old field ops in the same old training areas. PURSUE ALL THAT IS AVAILABLE! Try out for STA if it becomes available, or take the RECON indoc. Go to Coaches Course and try to be a Range Coach. Try and get HRST school seats. Make sure you dont become a barracks rat and have nothing to show for your years spent in the Corps. Have a good time, work hard, and take advantage of schools that other Marines choose not to go to because they will miss a "96".
SEMPER!

Cool, thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-20-06, 03:46 PM
There is only so much room at SOI. I mean the barracks will hold X number of people, they have enough troop handlers for X number of students. Since people have been signing up for these slots since October 1 of last year, By the time the next fiscal year rolls around, most of the seats in the popular MOS's are filled. But we're in the middle of September now, so its just a couple of weeks to wait until there will be plenty of seats.

STA, you are right about taking the shot to go to schools have new experiences. FAP programs are out there and can expose you to a ton of things. From the pool to the range, there are tons of things you can do if you just take the time to tell someone you want to do it.

STA0311
09-20-06, 04:15 PM
[quote=Echo_Four_Bravo]There is only so much room at SOI. I mean the barracks will hold X number of people, they have enough troop handlers for X number of students. Since people have been signing up for these slots since October 1 of last year, By the time the next fiscal year rolls around, most of the seats in the popular MOS's are filled. But we're in the middle of September now, so its just a couple of weeks to wait until there will be plenty of seats.

Makes sense!!!

Adam1988
09-20-06, 04:46 PM
I wish I was leaving on the 25th! Stay moto and just remember when you're there that there's somoene out there dying to be in your shoes right now. Good luck!

Lepke
09-21-06, 03:39 PM
I wish I was leaving on the 25th! Stay moto and just remember when you're there that there's somoene out there dying to be in your shoes right now. Good luck!

Haha, well I'm sure there will be times while I'm there that I'll wish I was back at home! But oh well, whatever. Thanks for the good luck. :)