PDA

View Full Version : What can you buy from the PX at recruit training?

Achped
09-19-06, 08:15 AM
Don't worry, I can read and I know I can't bring anything from home.

I used to have acne, it wasn't like really bad, but it was bad enough that...well yeah, it was pretty bad. I've been using this medication (its just a 2.5% solution of benzoyl peroxide) and it's *gone*. I mean, my face is crystal clear. And it really helps alot not just how I look (no biggy) but how I shave (biggy), I'd always have to scrape and scrape to get the hair, but now I just glide over it and it's gone. As you can see, it'd definitely help in boot to have a smooth face, I don't really care how I look, as that's not important and I've never really had low self esteem from it anyways. It's not like I want to go to boot to show boomer0351swife's husband my pretty face. I just would like it to be as easy as possible, and heck, I kinda like having a clear face.

Anyways, at the PX is it possible to buy this? I can see it now, I know at least one of you is going to be like "You're not there to get pretty". But I'm just curious. It doesn't have to be a particular brand or anything and its a very common product for stores to have, I'm positive they'd have it. It takes ten seconds to apply too, so its not anything that would take time like that.

Again, just wondering if you can buy hygienic stuff like this? I know I can't bring it from home. The list clearly says "Any non-prescription medicine" but it also says in the next paragraph of this book "Recruits buy hygienic supplies at the Recruit Depot PX". So...what can you buy?

boomer0351swife
09-19-06, 10:10 AM
You will prob have to leave it home, but once you are there and it starts up again, just let your SDI know and you can prob have mom ship you some from home. Just depends on your SDI, they are all diff, but if it causes trouble w/ shaving then that is a ligit excuse to have it. I don't think they sell that at the rct PX.

Achped
09-19-06, 10:27 AM
How exactly would I go about "letting my Senior Drill Instructor know"? Because I was told to never talk to them unless they talk to you first, which is only when you're doing something wrong anyways. Would I just go to the DI House and slap that big hand or whatever to talk to him?

Ma'am, that idea alone is so incredibly scary. I think I'd rather just cut myself shaving for three months.:scared:

Static_Sky25
09-19-06, 10:35 AM
Outside the "dutyhut" they have a plank of wood that you rap very hard 3 times (pound the Pine) and then you recite a little speech in my platoon it was

"Recruit ______ requests permission to speak to Seinor Drill Instructor Ssgt. ________ Sir."

Normally followed by

"get your nasty ____ in here recruit."

This is how you can make Drill Instructors aware of a serious family problem or that you would like to speak to the chaplain or dang near anything else also if the Drill instructor(s) tells you to talk to him in private he will have you come to the duty hut and follow the same procedure.

As far as the acne medication I don't remember seeing it at the recruit PX, but of course it wasn't a leasurely shopping trip either ;)

jinelson
09-19-06, 10:44 AM
Senior Drill Instructors are very easy to communicate with!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/jinelson/92067-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/jinelson/92059-1.jpg

Static_Sky25
09-19-06, 10:46 AM
Senior Drill Instructors are very easy to communicate with!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/jinelson/92067-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/jinelson/92059-1.jpg
so true

WJason777
09-19-06, 11:01 AM
I too have a problem like this, if you dont know already was on a pill called accutane for my acne and was DQed from meps for 60 days after i am on the pill. My acne is kinda gone but when i shave i get hair bumps. so the doctor gave me two types of cream to use after shaving. He also told me that i was using the wrong type of razor on my face (Gillette 5 blade razor). He told me to buy a special razor called Bump Fighter witch i brought at my local drug store. The hair bumps are just about gone and i dont think i need the cream anymore. But i was wondering if they sell different types of razors or this at the PX for my face?

Achped
09-19-06, 11:05 AM
Awesome! You just reminded me, I can use whatever razor now that my acnes gone, but if it comes back, those stupid two bladed things *destroy* my face.

I'm pretty sure you just get a run of the mill razor though, I mean, its the recruit depot PX :)

boomer0351swife
09-19-06, 11:52 AM
They sell those 3 blade razors at the rct px, Boom uses the same ones at home, so that is the only reason I know. If it becomes a medical issue, you do need to tell your SDI because not to can cause you to develope cellulitis in your face and to possibly be dropped to the med plt because of it. Believe me, you don't want that to happen.

Accord
09-19-06, 01:41 PM
Good thread.

I used to have really bad acne until I started using a prescription cream from a dermatologist called "Benzaclin." I just apply it once a night on my face before going to sleep. I just assumed that having it at MCRD would be a lost cause and i'd just have to suck it up while I was there. It doesn't cause me issues with shaving or anything like Achped and others, but when I breakout it's just plain horrible looking and they're deep and painful right along my jaw line so whenever I talk it feels like someone is stabbing my face with a knife. Being a prescription medication though, would an SDI still allow my parents to send it or would I just be able to get a prescription for it from one of the doctors at MCRD... or would the SDI just tell me to go away and I would be SOL?

WJason777
09-19-06, 01:42 PM
I hope this dont becomes a problem in boot. Lets just hope theres something i could buy at the PX that will fix this.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-19-06, 02:00 PM
People, for the most part if you need it they will tell you where, and when, to get it. If you need a medicine it will be peescribed to you by the nice Navy docs at MCRD SD or PI.

Your trips to the recruit PX aren't like going to Wal Mart back home. You go in, get your stuff, and you get out. You don't walk around looking at things, you don't decide that you need to get a few extra things.

FWIW, acne usually isn't much of a problem for recruits. A friend of mine had to delay enlisting because of bad acne. They wouldn't take him until it was cleared up. Then after my time in MRP we ended up in the same platoon. I don't remember seeing one pimple on his face. Its funny but not touching your face etc. does make a difference.

boomer0351swife
09-19-06, 02:22 PM
Not sure about the script.....I will ask Boom about that and see what he says......

Accord
09-19-06, 02:25 PM
Not sure about the script.....I will ask Boom about that and see what he says......
Thank you ma'am.

boomer0351swife
09-19-06, 06:45 PM
Just as I though......Leave it w/ you mom to be mailed at a later date, because if you show up w/ it, it will get trashed. Let some time go by and when it becomes a noticable problem, speak w/ your SDI and he will have to approve the mailing of it, but after that you should be g2g.

The Sandman
09-19-06, 08:25 PM
People with acne should try a few simple steps to clear it up naturally. 1.) Stop eating ****e people. All that oily food and sweet crap, get rid of it. Get some good protein, complex carbs, and a little bit of the good oils (fish, olive, safflower, sunflower, etc) 2.) Wash your face once, maybe twice a day; usually when you wake up and go to bed. Do not over cleanse this causes the skin to think its dry and produce more oil, which traps dirt and then gets infected. If you must wipe your face with a papertowl or napkin or whatever. This just removes the excess. 3.) Excersise, this encourages the natural healing and repairing of the body, including the skin. 4.) Dry saunas before showers; sweat that chit out then wash it off. 5.) Take a vitamin E supplement, there are a lot of good things about vitamin E that help the skin and other functions of the body. I won't explain them all here, just look it up and you will see. 6.) Stop eating ****e, you may not think you are, but probably you are.

This isn't a cure all for everything, but everyone I've seen take these steps surely cleared them up. Give it a shot, either way you end up healthier on the other side.

Achped
09-19-06, 08:27 PM
Thanks so much. I really appreciate the help, and I'm sure the other poolees whose questions you've answered on here do too.

Achped
09-19-06, 08:30 PM
People with acne should try a few simple steps to clear it up naturally. 1.) Stop eating ****e people. All that oily food and sweet crap, get rid of it. Get some good protein, complex carbs, and a little bit of the good oils (fish, olive, safflower, sunflower, etc) 2.) Wash your face once, maybe twice a day; usually when you wake up and go to bed. Do not over cleanse this causes the skin to think its dry and produce more oil, which traps dirt and then gets infected. If you must wipe your face with a papertowl or napkin or whatever. This just removes the excess. 3.) Excersise, this encourages the natural healing and repairing of the body, including the skin. 4.) Dry saunas before showers; sweat that chit out then wash it off. 5.) Take a vitamin E supplement, there are a lot of good things about vitamin E that help the skin and other functions of the body. I won't explain them all here, just look it up and you will see. 6.) Stop eating ****e, you may not think you are, but probably you are.

This isn't a cure all for everything, but everyone I've seen take these steps surely cleared them up. Give it a shot, either way you end up healthier on the other side.
Sandman, way ahead of you. In fact, that's why I think my acne may be clearing up whether or not I use this. I stopped drinking all sodas (OCCASIONALLY I drink a diet soda), and I eat no candy, no processed foods, just "real" food. It cleared up drastically after that. But still not "perfect".

Not only that, but I noticed my endurance went up too, I didn't get tired as much and I always had energy EVEN THOUGH I wasn't eating any "fake" sugar!

I cant wait to get to basic, if only because I'll finally get away from all that junk food. Thanks for the advice. I didn't know about that vitamin E.

Accord
09-19-06, 08:42 PM

Acne is genetic disease... yes, it is actually a disease and there is no cure for it, merely you can only hope to control it through a number of methods until it eventually goes away which for most people takes years.

Acne is like Jack Bauer, you cannot defeat him, you can merely hope to contain him.

Brass
09-19-06, 10:25 PM
Acne in and of itself isn't a disease. A 'pimple' or 'zit' is simply the body's reaction to dirt (foreign or not, and I am not just talking about a clean face) in the pores of the skin.

The body pushes blood to the infected area (white head pimples=visible white blood cells), and you get what you see on your face.

Taking care of your skin via regular cleaning and not touching your face will go a long way. You'd be surprised at the amount of gunk we put on our selves with our own hands.

Not saying that is the only thing you need to do, but proper care will help some if not most of your problems.

Watch how you are shaving your faces as well. Do it properly, aggravated skin can easily become infected which will worsen your acne.

As far as eating things that make you break out, that is mostly an old wives tale, unless you are allergic. But it's still a good rule of thumb to not 'eat ****e', reguardless.

WJason777
09-19-06, 10:27 PM

Thanks for the info i am going to try that vitamin e. But i have to disagree with you on the part about foods.There is no link between food and acne. I did some research when i first started having this acne problem and i found out that sodas and oily foods had nothing to do with acne at all. If you want you can read this http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_diseases/acne.html

but thanks again

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-20-06, 12:12 AM
Brass hit the nail on the head. Well said Poolee.

Accord
09-20-06, 12:23 AM
Acne in and of itself isn't a disease. A 'pimple' or 'zit' is simply the body's reaction to dirt (foreign or not, and I am not just talking about a clean face) in the pores of the skin.

The body pushes blood to the infected area (white head pimples=visible white blood cells), and you get what you see on your face.

Taking care of your skin via regular cleaning and not touching your face will go a long way. You'd be surprised at the amount of gunk we put on our selves with our own hands.

Not saying that is the only thing you need to do, but proper care will help some if not most of your problems.

Watch how you are shaving your faces as well. Do it properly, aggravated skin can easily become infected which will worsen your acne.

As far as eating things that make you break out, that is mostly an old wives tale, unless you are allergic. But it's still a good rule of thumb to not 'eat ****e', reguardless.
If you get pimples from simply not washing your face often enough, shaving improperly, or getting dirt in your pores, you do not have acne.

Acne is most definitely a disease according to every dictionary including the American Heritage Medical Dictionary.

"An inflammatory disease of the sebaceous glands and hair follicles of the skin that is marked by the eruption of pimples or pustules, especially on the face."

I wash my face twice a day with Neutrogena acne face wash, I never touch my face, I only shave once a week and I STILL breakout if go more than a day or two without putting on my prescription cream Benzaclin.

Brass
09-20-06, 03:39 AM
They also say Alcoholism is a 'disease'. Believe what you would like, what do I know.

Achped
09-20-06, 05:49 AM
Thanks for the info i am going to try that vitamin e. But i have to disagree with you on the part about foods.There is no link between food and acne. I did some research when i first started having this acne problem and i found out that sodas and oily foods had nothing to do with acne at all. If you want you can read this http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_diseases/acne.html

but thanks again

You still shouldn't be eating that trash.

Achped
09-20-06, 05:51 AM
They also say Alcoholism is a 'disease'. Believe what you would like, what do I know.

Do you have acne?

If it was as simple as you say, why would the acne-medication business be a billion dollar plus industry?

Trust me, what you said to do doesn't help people with "acne"...maybe people with "pimples" but not "acne".

Now, does it hurt? Of course not. I eat healthy anyways and take care of my face.

Brass
09-20-06, 06:39 AM

I hate reading too.

Accord
09-20-06, 08:22 AM
Comparing acne to alcoholism... now that is just plain ridiculous. You don't know the first thing about acne and you have never had real acne if you're saying that.

Kildars
09-20-06, 10:53 AM
Alright Poolee's let's calm down, the bottom line is you shouldn't be arguing something so pointless and you shouldn't be eating then when you're trying to enlist anyways. You should be prepping in every way you can, like I am. Including changing your diet and PT.

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/5/1680_50116.htm

Acne is a disorder of the skin's oil glands (sebaceous glands) that results in plugged pores and outbreaks of lesions commonly called pimples or zits. Acne lesions usually occur on the face, neck, back, chest, and shoulders. Nearly 17 million people in the United States have acne, making it the most common skin disease. Although acne is not a serious health threat, severe acne can lead to disfiguring, permanent scarring, which can be upsetting for people who suffer from the disorder.

cplbrooks
09-20-06, 12:02 PM
I had acne pretty bad when i went to boot camp. They will prescribe medication for it while you are in receiving barracks when you first get there. When you are doing your initial medical stuff they will probably give it to you automatically. If not, just tell them that you need it. It must be prescribed by the navy docs but the good news is that its free. I had the little pills that they give you. Not sure what it was. It didnt work for me so they prescribed acutain once i was in SOI and that did the trick.

Accord
09-20-06, 12:50 PM
I had acne pretty bad when i went to boot camp. They will prescribe medication for it while you are in receiving barracks when you first get there. When you are doing your initial medical stuff they will probably give it to you automatically. If not, just tell them that you need it. It must be prescribed by the navy docs but the good news is that its free. I had the little pills that they give you. Not sure what it was. It didnt work for me so they prescribed acutain once i was in SOI and that did the trick.
Awesome, thanks.

J-Ro
09-20-06, 01:09 PM
so true
Aww the Memories... all came back too me!!!:cool:

"Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans,
because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean,
or skinny and mean. They're aggressive on the attack and
tenacious on defense. They've got really short hair and they
always go for the throat."
-RAdm. "Jay" R. Stark, US Navy; <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:date Year="1995" Day="10" Month="11">10 November 1995</st1:date>.

Rdy2gopoolie
09-24-06, 07:54 AM
We had a recruit with the same problem and he ended up going to medical and they told him not to shave for like 2 weeks and gave him meds and our SDI let him recieve stuff from home. Also the recruit PX is NOT the PX and they have stuff called "bump patrol". If that helps. Just FYI you dont get many PX calls so if you need something. ie letter writing gear, socks, lysol, skin so soft, etc. you might wanna stock up on it. Although you gotta remember the heavier your footlocker the more weight you have to pick up. :P

WJason777
09-24-06, 02:24 PM
We had a recruit with the same problem and he ended up going to medical and they told him not to shave for like 2 weeks and gave him meds and our SDI let him recieve stuff from home. Also the recruit PX is NOT the PX and they have stuff called "bump patrol". If that helps. Just FYI you dont get many PX calls so if you need something. ie letter writing gear, socks, lysol, skin so soft, etc. you might wanna stock up on it. Although you gotta remember the heavier your footlocker the more weight you have to pick up. :P
What do the DIs make you do with your footlocker?

J-Ro
09-24-06, 03:16 PM
:cool: Good Question, don't think that getting quarterdecked will be the only way you'll be getting that Good PT. Your DIs have plenty of ways to make sure that you Recruits are having a good time...

Achped
09-24-06, 03:25 PM
What do the DIs make you do with your footlocker?

I'm not sure as I've never been there, but my buddy told me "To your chest....touch your knees. To your chest, down, up, down, up, STRAIGHT OUT RIGHT NOW!

I'll be right back, NONE OF YOU FAIRIES BETTER DROP ONE OF MY FOOTLOCKERS!"

Barret
09-24-06, 05:45 PM
Heh, I just say "Ears, Open. Eyeballs, Click." When Echo said it's not like Wal-mart, he's right. From what I saw, It's a cramped building with a bunch of identical brown boxes, signs above them clarifying what is actually in those boxes, and two cash registers. Not a great looking place.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-24-06, 06:51 PM
Suffice it to say that my least favorite command at MCRD was "INSPECTION FOOTLOCKER!"

Rdy2gopoolie
09-24-06, 11:26 PM
Suffice it to say that my least favorite command at MCRD was "INSPECTION FOOTLOCKER!"

Another was lets play "king of the Mountain". or "Nascar with scuzz brushes" lol. good times tho.

Static_Sky25
09-25-06, 02:20 PM
Awesome! You just reminded me, I can use whatever razor now that my acnes gone, but if it comes back, those stupid two bladed things *destroy* my face.

I'm pretty sure you just get a run of the mill razor though, I mean, its the recruit depot PX :)

we were issued Mach 3's when I was there in '03

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-25-06, 03:06 PM
Back in my day we used Sensors. Funny, I have used just about every new razor to come out since, for some reason Gillette sends one to me before they even hit the shelves. Yet, if you look in my bathroom right now, it is a Seonsor next to the sink.

Its insane, i have a box of razors (and another of holsters) that never get used, but I keep them for some reason.

WJason777
09-26-06, 02:33 PM
Back in my day we used Sensors. Funny, I have used just about every new razor to come out since, for some reason Gillette sends one to me before they even hit the shelves. Yet, if you look in my bathroom right now, it is a Seonsor next to the sink.

Its insane, i have a box of razors (and another of holsters) that never get used, but I keep them for some reason.

For some reason gillette sent me the new 5 blade razor in the mail for my 18th birthday.

boomer0351swife
09-26-06, 04:14 PM
They still use the Mach III's. Boom says they are great for shaving your head.....lol.

Achped
09-26-06, 04:19 PM
I'll second that ma'am! ;)

Shipping061008
09-26-06, 10:37 PM

I was actually going to make The Sandman's first point. A lot of people have acne simply because of what they eat. From what I understand, in Recruit Training, we will be on a very strict diet and won't be eating the massive amounts of junk food that we eat now as civilians. Food is definitely a major cause of acne. I used to have terrible acne and I went to a dermatologist a few years back. Along with Accutane, the doctor also prescribed to me a diet, an lo and behold, acne is gone. I've been off Acutane for a few years now, but I've been trying to stay away from junk foods and just eat things that are good. Stuff with high protein, plenty of complex carbs, basically stuff like Sandman mentioned above. Its good advice. :thumbup: Also, the Vitamin E thing is good. Another tip from my dermatologist. The Sandman sounds like dermatologist, hes pretty much saying the same thing mine told me.

WJason777
09-26-06, 11:55 PM
I am not trying to say that your wrong about the diet thing but if you do some search on acne you will see that a diet has no effect on acne what so ever. I even asked my dermatologist and he said what you eat has nothing to do with acne.

FooDawg
09-27-06, 09:17 AM
Isnt acne more like a dermatitis? And eating crappy food just gives you pimply skin that clears up quickly and untrested (unlike acne)??? Thats what I always thought, maybe im wrong.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-27-06, 11:59 AM
Wjason, there are dermatologists out there that disagree with yours. I am not a doctor, so I won't pretend to know for sure, but it is debatable at best.

krystin
08-30-07, 07:10 AM
hey, im new. i have a quick question. im shipping out around winter time, so if someone has a skin condition that acts up in the winter and they get their family to send them this lotion that isnt a prescription but something you can get fom publix, the DI will throw it away unless they get permission before hand?

Fubar5812
08-30-07, 07:23 AM
well what kind of condition? I hope it isn't contagious.

If it is going to be an issue I would talk to your recruiter about getting this lotion setup at the pharmacy.Of course to do that you need a prescription.

DemonicOne
09-01-07, 04:00 PM
I used to have bad acme, I just started putting rubbing alcohol on my face before bed and after I shave. Can you get rubbing alcohol at boot camp?