PDA

View Full Version : NH Marine is home to recover after being hit by enemy sniper in Iraq

thedrifter
09-18-06, 11:43 PM
NH Marine is home to recover after being hit by enemy sniper in Iraq

By TOBY HENRY
Union Leader Correspondent

CANDIA – A young man wounded this summer during Operation Iraqi Freedom says the support of his family, excellent medical care and the prayers of his community have helped answer his wish.

Louis Stamatelos Jr., who celebrates his 21st birthday in a week, will be headed home in three days for the upcoming celebration of Candia's Old Home Days festival, and friends say he may also attend the Deerfield Fair.

But the long-anticipated trip home for the festivals almost didn't happen for the Marine lance corporal: on July 21, he was nearly killed when a sniper shot him through the right shoulder while he was on guard duty in the city of Karmha.

"It's been about 10 months since I've been in New Hampshire, and I'm just very excited to be headed home and out of the heat," he said yesterday from his hospital bed at the James A. Haley Veterans Administration Center in Tampa, Fla. "I haven't been to the Old Home Days in a long time because it was (on hiatus) when I was in high school - but I'm really excited to be going.

"My mother has been right here with me (in the hospital) through this whole ordeal" and (the community support) has just been tremendous.

"And the prayers have been great," he added.

The son of Candice and Louis Stamatelos Sr. and a 2004 graduate of Jesse Remington High School, Stamatelos joined the U.S. Marines in April 2005. Yesterday, school Headmaster and carpentry teacher Jeff Philbrick and other staff members recalled events from Stamatelos' four years at the school as they made preparations to welcome him back.

"He's funny; he's a character - but he's always willing to help,'' said administrative assistant Dianna MacDonald. "We went on this trip to Washington, D.C., once, and I remember he wound up fixing the van a couple times. We might not have made it back without him. That's the kind of man he is: always looking out for everyone else."

"When he was here, he'd usually be the leader of a (school) project," said Philbrick. "I remember one year, we were doing a maple-sugaring project, and he was more capable at that than I was. He's a very hard worker."

While Stamatelos appeared to be in good spirits yesterday, he acknowledged that his recovery and rehabilitation have been painful. The sniper's bullet left him with nerve damage and only partial use of his right arm, at least for now.

"I can flex my bicep and tricep muscles, but that's about it," he said. "I'm lucky if I can hold it (my arm) up."

The shooting is still an emotional topic in Candia, where residents say the community of about 3,000 people is in many respects an extended family.

"Oh my goodness, we were so shocked," said school administrative assistant Sharon Packard. "Candia is a small town, and this really hit close to home. Everyone was concerned because his injury was very serious, and we had an immediate call to prayer."

"There was a terrible feeling of sadness, because we'd almost lost a young man who is a good friend, a role model," said Philbrick. "But if there is anyone out there who can recover from a serious injury like that, it's Louie."

Stamatelos is expected to return to town Friday, and members of his local parish, the Candia Congregational Church, plan to greet him. A reception in his honor has been scheduled at the church, on High Street, Sunday at 6 p.m.

Ellie