PDA

View Full Version : SDI wife here

boomer0351swife
09-18-06, 04:10 PM
Just wanted to say HI!! And for you guys waiting to come to PI.......make sure you are fit and can pass that IST because there are always alot that get dropped before the first day because they either can't get the pull ups or can't get the run time. Then they spend a month in PCP (physical conditioning plt) and I have to deal with your mothers.........lol. If you want to come here so bad, PLEASE be ready for the physical part!!! Can't stress that ENOUGH!!!!!!!! Also have your head ready and try and leave your issues at home, you won't have the time to worry about all that while you are here......Other than that......GOOD LUCK and welcome to PI!!!

J
Proud SDI wife
Hotel Co
Parris Island SC

GySgtRet
09-18-06, 04:21 PM
Ma'am, you have summed up everything very well. I think that will answer andbody's questions.

Thank you...!!!

PooleeWill
09-18-06, 04:41 PM
What if you can do the run time and the crunches but can't get the pullups will they still stick you in PCP? I don't want to be in the pork chop platoon. Also while still adding to this thread anybody really know how you can increase pullups other than doing pushups?

Kildars
09-18-06, 04:46 PM
What if you can do the run time and the crunches but can't get the pullups will they still stick you in PCP? I don't want to be in the pork chop platoon. Also while still adding to this thread anybody really know how you can increase pullups other than doing pushups?
Though I've never been there, unless you can meet the minimum 2 pullups required for IST -- I'm 99% sure they stick you in PCP until you can.

So make sure you can do two.

Also, to increase your pullups either do assisted pullups (have another friend hold ur legs and help you.) then get off and do max pushups, wait 90 seconds do it again. (Thanks to CPL Echo_Four_Bravo for that information.) or what my old weight training teacher told me to do was just jump up on the bar pull urself up once and slowly let down, like a reverse pullup.

His_angel
09-18-06, 04:52 PM

What part didn't you understand?!?!

PULLUPS ARE PART OF THE IST!! Yeah. If you can NOT meet the minimums then you'll go PCP. You have time to prepare before you go. Get your butt in gear and learn how to do a pullup. Nobody will be there to hold your hand. You have to do it. Though maybe the Army won't put you in PCP for not being able to do 2 little ole measley pullups.

tntmondy
09-18-06, 07:01 PM
Lesson #1 LISTEN to what you are being told. The post that the SDI's wife posted was very clear PASS the IST or go to PCP. Marines don't negotiate nor comprimise. Do it or suffer the consequences. In boot camp that can be PCP in combat that can be your life.

Bret
09-18-06, 07:42 PM
HEY! Would a Marine go ahead and put out the requirments for IST so every poolee and wannabe will know for future referance. :thumbup: THX
Run: ?
Pullups: ?
Situps: ?

WhiteRabbit
09-18-06, 08:13 PM
This is for a 300 PFT score, so do the math.

Pullups - 20 Dead Hang
Run - 3 miles in 18 minutes or under.
Crunches - 100 in 2 minutes.

Each awards 100 points for the maximum done. I am like 99% positive this is correct, unless it changed recently. If I am incorrect, please correct me please.

Future5711
09-18-06, 08:25 PM
Just an FYI, the female requirements are as follows:
1.5mi Run: 15:00
Crunches: 44 in 2 minutes
Flex Arm Hang: 12 sec.

boomer0351swife
09-18-06, 09:30 PM
Per Boomer:

IST:

3 pullups
40 crunches
13 min 30 sec 1 1/2 mile run

That is the minimum requirement. In addition to this, there are also 2 other PFT's that you will have to pass before you are allowed to graduate, each being harder than the last. Any failures will result in being placed in PCP until you can pass. It is essential that you are in shape when you come here or this can be a REALLY looooooooong boot for you.

Bret
09-18-06, 10:02 PM
boomer> I take it that the IST requirments you have givin are for all recruits, men and weman?

boomer0351swife
09-18-06, 10:31 PM
I believe the females have a small diff in the run time and instead of pullups they do something called a "hang", but Boom is sleeping now, so I will have to find out tomorrow and post it then.

RomanNose
09-19-06, 12:23 AM
In my opinion I really wouldn't think going to PCP would be all that bad of an idea if a recruit really just cannot pass the IST. I mean sure it will delay your graduation greatly but if one cannot meet the stardards to start training, at least the PCP is there to help instead of being dropped all together. :)

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-19-06, 12:27 AM
PCP is there for a reason, and there have been many Marines make a stop there along the way. But, if you can avoid going there, why not do so? Its like planning to go to MRP, just doesn't make sense.

There is tons of advice on here about how to get better at pull ups. Do a search PooleeWill and you will find tons. If you still need help let me know.

RomanNose
09-19-06, 12:32 AM
I didn't mean to give the impression that going to PCP is the best idea for applicants not passing the IST before shipping either, just saying its probably not as bad as some people make it sound, sure its tough, I had a friend just now graduate, he had to go through PCP, he said it helped greatly.

Marine84
09-19-06, 08:02 AM
Will - yes, there is a way you can get better at your pullups - PRACTICE DOING THEM! DUH! How can you get better at a pullup by doing a pushup?????? It's a no brainer, kid - practice PULLING UP!

boomer0351swife
09-19-06, 11:26 PM
Another thing that Boom and I talked about today........Have your bills squared away and a way to pay them figured out BEFORE you bring yourself to MCRD. Don't wait till your mother writes you to tell you about late notices you are getting before thinking about it. HAVE A PLAN FOR ALL THAT STUFF!!! You will get to go to the bank if you need to once a month.......but have your info ready!!!!!!! DO NOT make your mamma do everything.......MAN UP!!

Also if you have unpaid tickets or court coming up or the IRS is looking for you......DO US ALL A FAVOR and take care of that before they issue a warrent or something. SDI's get really PO'd if they have to deal with something like that because YOU didn't.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-20-06, 12:14 AM
boomer'swife makes a great point, but her advice extends far beyond boot camp. Platoon Sgts. don't like to have to deal with your bills or other dumb problems any more than a SDI does.

Kildars
09-20-06, 02:34 AM
You're allowed to go to the bank once a month? During Bootcamp? Did I read that correctly?

boomer0351swife
09-20-06, 06:06 AM
If you need to, but believe me, I am sure it will cost you, because you have to ASK to go, which is why I say, fix yourself and have a plan before you get here!!!

GySgtRet
09-20-06, 07:04 AM
Read and head what this lady is saying. Do not ask what she is saying she is in the Chain of Command here. This information is from The Senior Dill Instructor at Parris Island.

boomer0351swife
09-22-06, 08:38 PM
Learn how to swim some before you get here............:thumbup: The term MARINE implies water does it not??? I still can't believe how many recruits don't know how to swim when they come to the Island..........:D

cplbrooks
09-22-06, 09:40 PM
Boomerswife, how many recruits knew how to swim in your boot camp platoon? How did you do in your swim qual?

His_angel
09-22-06, 10:25 PM
I'll put it this way. Not only did I know how to swim when I got to boot but I had spent 3 summers on swimteam. Swimming and swimming with uniform on, boots, pack and weapon was a whole different animal. Not sure how those who didn't know how to swim before boot passed. We had those who did though. But it was a challenge even knowing HOW before I got there. I definately agree that it's best to know how beforehand if at all possible.

Angel

FooDawg
09-22-06, 10:31 PM
I'll put it this way. Not only did I know how to swim when I got to boot but I had spent 3 summers on swimteam. Swimming and swimming with uniform on, boots, pack and weapon was a whole different animal. Not sure how those who didn't know how to swim before boot passed. We had those who did though. But it was a challenge even knowing HOW before I got there. I definately agree that it's best to know how beforehand if at all possible.

Angel

It was that much harder? Thats insane. Good to know though. I assumed the extra weight was a lot harder, but not like you explain. I've had the ability to swim my whole life, so I cant even comprehend the swim qual being tough, but thats just because I dont know personally how they make it tougher. Good to knwo though from experience of others that the extra weight definately makes a huge difference. Thanks so much for the insight His_Angel. Im sure this knowledge is appreciated by all us wannabes.

cplbrooks
09-23-06, 08:16 AM
It isnt hard at all if you relax while in the water and listen to and then apply what the instructors tell you. Its so simple that its hard. Panic is what gets most people. Most of the recruits that had a hard time were from the cities (not counting so. cal.) or midwest where swimming pools were not as common. If you are not a strong swimmer then it would behove you to take a swim course before going. 50% of our platoon drops were from the swim qual. The other half came from the rifle range. They dont drop you from boot camp, they just drop you back a cycle to do it over again if you cant qual with your platoon.

boomer0351swife
09-23-06, 10:34 AM
Couldn't have explained it any better.

I was never in the USMC, that would be my husband. I am just trying to tell you guys what the probs are as they come up this cycle so that you will be READY for what lies ahead. He has always been a good swimmer, so for him it wasn't a prob. As far as city kids, there is always the YMCA or somewhere like that they can go and practice. It usually takes a lot more effort for a non-swimmer to pass than it does for a swimmer with even limited abilities. Non-swimmers usually DO panic and that just isn't fun for them at ALL, not only do they have to overcome their fear of the water, they have to learn to swim AND pass. Alot to do in the 4 days they give you before they recycle you to the next company.

His_angel
09-23-06, 01:26 PM
It was different and thus challenging. There were those who did not know how to swim that did pass. If you already know how to swim then put on some boots, jeans and shirt and try swimming that way. I enjoyed swim qual. Just wasn't quite the breeze I had imagined. I don't want to make it sound impossible or harder than it was. I was just thankful that I did have good swimming skills versus some of those who didn't know how to swim at all.