PDA

View Full Version : A message from the "PT guru"

Smalcom
09-17-06, 06:01 PM
if any of you poolees or wannabes have ipods i highly recommend getting the nike+sport system

first buy this

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000ID6DTG/ref=ord_cart_shr/102-1887805-7678559?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=A3B9RJKTLZ285S&v=glance

(however some nike+sport shoes come with a place in the insole u can put the chip)

then buy this

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000ID6DTG/ref=ord_cart_shr/102-1887805-7678559?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=A3B9RJKTLZ285S&v=glance

(you may also want to buy a nike+sport armband)

This small device tracks your speed/distance/time, and will tell you over your headphones, and when you plug your ipod into your computer it will track your progress onto the computer.

its a great system, and really keeps ya motivated.

Kildars
09-17-06, 06:19 PM
lol.. Or you could just use a watch and a stopwatch ;).

WhiteRabbit
09-17-06, 06:56 PM
WHAT?! Stopwatch and a watch?! Blasphemy!

lol

Cool system, thanks for the info!

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-17-06, 06:57 PM
Thanks, but I'll stick with my Garmin and my ears without headphones on them. I like to be aware of what is going on around me.

Accord
09-17-06, 07:09 PM
I have this: http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-Wrist-Mounted-Personal-Training/dp/B0001ILXGQ/sr=8-1/qid=1158537996/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-2910896-2688102?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

Garmin Forerunner 101. It's absolutely awesome, not only does it track your speed, pace, distance, etc. but it has a "virtual" training parter where you basically put in your goal, which in my case is 3 miles in 18 minutes and if you drop below the pace necessary to achieve that goal it tells you to pick up the pace.

The only thing I don't like about it is you cannot run anywhere where there isn't a clear view of the sky, if you're running on a path under a bunch of tree's it will lose it's signal... it's pretty frustrating when you're on a run about to set a new personal record when all of a sudden it loses the friggen signal.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-17-06, 07:56 PM
I have the same one acccord. I love it. Luckily I run on the road and there aren't any trees to get in the way.

Kildars
09-17-06, 10:53 PM
WHAT?! Stopwatch and a watch?! Blasphemy!

lol

Cool system, thanks for the info!

Well I use the stopwatch -- since it's old an school one to do each lap, then add them up at the end ;) it's the stop watch my older cousin used to PT in before he went to boot, he's in Iraq now so I'm using it :).

Smalcom
09-17-06, 11:14 PM
this is if u have an iPod guys... its a pretty easy system... and its cheap

dont get all freaky on me

hawks
09-17-06, 11:17 PM
The nike+ipod thing only works with nanos right? i have a video ipod so im SOL?

Smalcom
09-17-06, 11:19 PM
no itll work with both
u just gotta find an armband for the video...

hawks
09-17-06, 11:40 PM
Could you just hold it in your hand?

Smalcom
09-18-06, 12:27 AM
ya thats not a problem, its a wireless system just need that shoe strap thing and ur set

hawks
09-18-06, 12:37 AM
Alright, so before I buy it, I have ipod video, and regular running shoes, just by the thing for the shoes and it will do the thing to my ipod and all that jazz right.

The Sandman
09-18-06, 05:24 AM
I think thats a pretty cool idea actually; weather you need it or not. I mean the intergration of technology into everyday life is absoultely amazing. Yeah this may seem to be an easy application but I challenege you guys to look up ENIAC and then tell me this little thing isn't badass. Plus you plug it into ANOTHER computer and it does math automatically to tell you where you are, where you are going, and where you came from. This is the beginning folks. Remember knowledge is power; if you don't know you can't act or even react. Start plugging in number from your PT like running, weight-lifting reps, sets, and weight, laps, etc and then cross reference that with caloric intake (which should also be divided by carbs, protein, and fat; all of which can be futher divided) and you get input and output. Start tweaking the input and measure the output. Get graphs involved and you are going places. Technology turns our bodies into machines in this way. Outstanding....... (I'm a geek aren't I :P )

Good find Smalcom

Future5711
09-18-06, 08:22 PM
I was considering getting this to track my running. After plunking down $150+ for the Ipod Nano 1Gb and an armband, I couldn't spend anymore money on cool gadgets. I just use and old fashioned stop watch. I might consider it if I have some extra $$ when I need to replace my "go-fasters."

Smalcom
09-18-06, 11:46 PM
hawks... thats exactly right